Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
The fact that you are asking that question shows your lack of intellectual honesty or else you are just really, really, really incapable of understanding HOW to think instead of parroting what you have been told to think.
Seems to me that you are the one with the intellectual dishonesty.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:07 AM

920 posts, read 633,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The flower shop was not a private business, it is open to the public.
That doesn't make it a public business. A public business means it is run by the government...like a library or a state liquor store. A private business means it is privately owned.

Geez, I love people who don't even have a basic grasp of the underlying facts of an issue when they get on their high horse.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

There are no second class Americans. We are one people who live in one nation and all of us are entitled to the benefits and protections of the law.

Except Christian (or Jewish or Muslim) business owners whom the gay coalition is actively working to deny 1st Amendment protections.

If you think letting the Government determine who has what rights has made us freer, you should ask some school kids how they feel about being sent home for wearing t-shirts with religious or patriotic sayings. Ask kids who get zeros on essays if they relate at all to religion or faith. Ask an employee that gets turned into HR for reading a bible in the lunch room.

YOU may feel freer, but don't kid yourself, soft tyranny is still tyranny.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Except Christian (or Jewish or Muslim) business owners whom the gay coalition is actively working to deny 1st Amendment protections.

If you think letting the Government determine who has what rights has made us freer, you should ask some school kids how they feel about being sent home for wearing t-shirts with religious or patriotic sayings. Ask kids who get zeros on essays if they relate at all to religion or faith. Ask an employee that gets turned into HR for reading a bible in the lunch room.

YOU may feel freer, but don't kid yourself, soft tyranny is still tyranny.
I have a great idea. Why don't you ask a black person, a Hispanic person, or a gay person how they feel about these laws? I doubt the word "tyranny" will be in their answer.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
The fact that you are asking that question shows your lack of intellectual honesty or else you are just really, really, really incapable of understanding HOW to think instead of parroting what you have been told to think.
What else does a florist do? As far as I know florists sell flowers. The people that she refused to sell flowers to are gay. She is claiming "religious freedom" to violate laws against discrimination based on sexual orientation.

So, where is this religious belief stated that florists can not sell flowers to gays?
Or
IS she making up her own idea of what religious beliefs say?

If that is the case, then I can have any religious belief that I dream up to skirt the law.
Driving laws? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Zoning laws? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Health codes? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Tax law? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Hazardous waste handling laws? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Drug laws? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!

You might want to look into the cases that the supreme court has already ruled on regarding generally applicable laws and the 1st amendment.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Seems to me that you are the one with the intellectual dishonesty.

Of course it does. And coming from you, I consider it an honor!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What else does a florist do? As far as I know florists sell flowers. The people that she refused to sell flowers to are gay. She is claiming "religious freedom" to violate laws against discrimination based on sexual orientation.

So, where is this religious belief stated that florists can not sell flowers to gays?
Or
IS she making up her own idea of what religious beliefs say?

If that is the case, then I can have any religious belief that I dream up to skirt the law.
Driving laws? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Zoning laws? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Health codes? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Tax law? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Hazardous waste handling laws? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!
Drug laws? My religion says that I don't have to follow them. Religious freedom!!!

You might want to look into the cases that the supreme court has already ruled on regarding generally applicable laws and the 1st amendment.

More reductio ad absurdum from someone without a valid argument.

She did not deny them flowers, she denied them her artistic and creative energy to design floral arrangements meant for a ceremony celebrating homosexuality. Since homosexuality is a sin, she has every legal right to decline on the basis of her 1st Amendment protections.

You might want to take a look at the Constitution.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:27 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,949 times
Quote:
More reductio ad absurdum from someone without a valid argument.

She did not deny them flowers, she denied them her artistic and creative energy to design floral arrangements meant for a ceremony celebrating homosexuality. Since homosexuality is a sin, she has every legal right to decline on the basis of her 1st Amendment protections.

You might want to take a look at the Constitution.
No, no she doesn't.

Under the basis of faith, you can decline anything if this were the case... and what do ya know? It's not!

The constitution does not exempt her from law period.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:29 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
No, no she doesn't.

Under the basis of faith, you can decline anything if this were the case... and what do ya know? It's not!

The constitution does not exempt her from law period.
so now we are at a point where we the people want gays removed from protected class.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I have a great idea. Why don't you ask a black person, a Hispanic person, or a gay person how they feel about these laws? I doubt the word "tyranny" will be in their answer.

Stop conflating the color of a person's skin with the sexual attraction to certain genitalia. Being black or Hispanic has never been deemed an "abomination," yet homosexuality has always been deemed a moral sin by all major world religions.

There are no 1st Amendment protections for discriminating against a person's skin color, but there is when it comes to indentured servitude that violates your religious freedom by forcing you to provide your labor for a celebration of homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies