Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 08:48 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Please cite the law which states there is a distinction between flowers for the dinner table and flowers for a wedding.
A flower arrangement indicates an artistic expression

Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
A flower arrangement indicates an artistic expression
That's nice, but does not answer the question. Can you shed some light on the distinction between a flower arrangement for a dinner table and a flower arrangement for a wedding?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 PM

920 posts, read 634,510 times
Quote:
That's nice, but does not answer the question. Can you shed some light on the distinction between a flower arrangement for a dinner table and a flower arrangement for a wedding?
Creating flowers for a wedding implies the artist willingly exerts creative skill and labor that takes into account the actual ceremony and a flower arrangement is generic and does not require involvement of the florist in understanding the location, color scheme, themes of a grab and go arrangement, as required of a florist when creating floral arrangements for a wedding.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 PM

289 posts, read 505,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
It's almost as silly as a small victimhood class seeking special privileges under the false marketing of "equality."

I'm running out of eyebrows to raise at your comments.

I stand by my previous statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
I've never seen an issue that gets people so worked up as who someone else chooses to sleep with. It's almost as silly as treating people differently because of the tone of their skin, lol can you imag- OH WAIT that's a thing too because people are nuts.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
What difference does it make, she did not feel the artistic motivation to take the job.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Oh, but you do. Commerce is regulated. When you choose to offer goods and services to the public, you must obey the laws, including those prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation.
....t.

Um...that'd be because we don't all have the same "protections," and that's exactly what the prescient among us saw coming: protected classes that result in unequal protection under the law.

Therefore, Walmart can refuse to bake a cake that says "Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler" for parents who gave their child that name. And I bet a black seamstress wouldn't be forced to sew robes for the KKK. And do you think gay florists would be required to provide flowers for a fundie Christian group's banquet? Really?

So much for that equal protection under the law. So you can chuck the "we just want to love who we love" garbage.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Um...that'd be because we don't all have the same "protections," and that's exactly what the prescient among us saw coming: protected classes that result in unequal protection under the law.

Therefore, Walmart can refuse to bake a cake that says "Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler" for parents who gave their child that name. And I bet a black seamstress wouldn't be forced to sew robes for the KKK. And do you think gay florists would be required to provide flowers for a fundie Christian group's banquet? Really?

So much for that equal protection under the law.
You are right, let's find gay florists and make em prepare "God hates ..." arrangements.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

So much for that equal protection under the law. So you can chuck the "we just want to love who we love" garbage.
Protected classes are unfortunately necessary to ensure that some aren't being unfairly and unlawfully denied their rights. This is why white male landowners have never been a protected class. There has never been a need.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:22 PM

312 posts, read 482,262 times
You know what the florist should've done? Instead of making a whole hoopla about it they should've just either said they were busy on the day of the wedding, quoted them an insane price, or told them that they cannot do it the way that the couple wanted.

Not that they SHOULD have to lie because IMO people should be entitled to run their business however they wanna run it, but to avoid a lawsuit and a whole big phooey. Unless the florist wanted to be a test case in which case that is commendable.

People do it all the time. My best friend is gay and his mannerisms make it somewhat obvious at times, I have had to show him how to "butch up" after he lost his job, because we both know that even though legally the interviewer cannot turn him down because he is gay, he can think of any other reason and say that instead.

I am an entrepeneur/small business owner I guess you can say. I do renovations of people's homes (mostly kitchens but I can build a whole house) sometimes with a team, sometimes solo or with one other guy. A person contacted me for a job and when I met up with them there were several things that made me uncomfortable about this guy and I didn't want to be alone in hie home with him for hours on end so I made up a lie and said that I didn't think I could do the job he wanted unless he paid me extra to get a crew and then I quoted him an amount that I knew he couldn't pay. I could've been straight up and said that I didn't feel comfortable and didn't wanna do work for him because I have no idea if he was "a protected class" and didn't wanna risk it (I didn't turn him down because he was gay - no idea if he was and do not care - if that's what you were wondering),
However if this kind of person composed a decent segment of my customers (aka my income) I would get over it for the money.

I love this country but I hate this thing us Americans have with suing every time something happens to us, from slipping in the bathroom at Wendy's to our boss calling us sexy (it's a compliment jeeze!).

Just my $0.02

Last edited by Clampdown69; 02-26-2015 at 11:37 PM..

Old 02-27-2015, 12:46 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
She did not discriminate. She followed her lawful right to her religion. We must be inclusive in this country and allow people to have different life styles and values than we do. We cannot force our views or lifestyle on others. It is bigoted to do so. Live and let live. Freedom to all.

I would suggest she post a sign stating she does not want homosexuals business and that should take care of it.
No one can use their religion to discriminate, period, whether it is against gays, blacks, Irish, Jews, women, men etc. Having a religious belief does not give one the right to use that belief to discriminate. Why do christians want to discriminate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies