Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:41 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Many times LE has become a cancer on society and then they wonder why we don't trust them. Many of us fear the crooks with badges more than the crooks without badges.
-----------------------
When police raided his house in St. Joseph County, Michigan, Thomas Williams, a 72-year-old cancer patient, had 12 marijuana plants, as permitted by his state's medical marijuana law. But he also had a few unplanted seedlings that he had prepared to replace plants that were dying. The cops said the seedlings put him over the legal limit. They did not charge him with a crime. Instead they took his stuff, including his car, his TV, his cellphone, his shotgun, and $11,000 in cash. They are trying to take his house too.

Michigan Cops Protect Citizens by Stealing Leaf Blowers From Cancer Patients - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
In many jurisdictions, the police have become revenue collectors, taking whatever they can in order to make up for the lost funding that's gone into "tax cuts for the wealthy."

Things tend to be connected.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
1) I suspect there is more to the story.
2) Is the fault of the police or the law?
3) I bet there are many more stories of law enforcement doing good things. They usually do not make the news.
4) Should people base their opinion of the police based upon a story cherry picked out of the whole country?

Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 AM

People are expected to do Their jobs every day, so when LE does well, that's fine but not commendable. Airline pilots are expected to land their planes safely every time, not just most of the time. So yes, I expect LE to not steal from citizens EVER.

If you take the time to research it, you will find many instances of LE abuse of power like this.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
In many jurisdictions, the police have become revenue collectors, taking whatever they can in order to make up for the lost funding that's gone into "tax cuts for the wealthy."

Things tend to be connected.
That's a pathetic excuse to steal from poor people.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Perhaps it's time we start holding their "employers" as in the politicians that enact these laws accountable for once? Quit voting for proponents of the police state on both sides of the aisle. Know what I mean?

Old 02-27-2015, 07:56 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
I thought your said "people hate crops" xD

Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM

39,878 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Many times LE has become a cancer on society and then they wonder why we don't trust them. Many of us fear the crooks with badges more than the crooks without badges.
-----------------------
When police raided his house in St. Joseph County, Michigan, Thomas Williams, a 72-year-old cancer patient, had 12 marijuana plants, as permitted by his state's medical marijuana law. But he also had a few unplanted seedlings that he had prepared to replace plants that were dying. The cops said the seedlings put him over the legal limit. They did not charge him with a crime. Instead they took his stuff, including his car, his TV, his cellphone, his shotgun, and $11,000 in cash. They are trying to take his house too.

Michigan Cops Protect Citizens by Stealing Leaf Blowers From Cancer Patients - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Sorry, but that's not a problem with the police. Blame the lawmakers you and I elected and allowed to pass the laws that made this crap possible. WE are to blame and continue to be until we demand that asset forfeiture laws are eliminated. All the police did in this case is enforce the law. In far too many places, corrupt lawmakers and community leaders use their police departments for revenue generation, rather than to catch criminals. Again...WE have allowed this.

What exactly have you done to get these laws overturned in your state?

Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Roadking.... avowed police hater posts ...I hate cops ,,,

nothing new here

I hate dirtbags too.... but like POLICE.. they are hear to stay...

Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 AM

59,076 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
-----------------------

"Here is why many people hate cops"

I read it and gee whiz, ANOTHER I HATE THE COPS THREAD.

What did I find, " laws that allow police to take assets allegedly connected to crime"

You whine like a little baby accusing the POLICE of wrongdoing when they were CARRYING OUT THE LAW.

If you DON'T like the law get it changed and quit your juvenile attempt to discredit the cops.

It is YOU who are discredited by your twisting the facte to feed your OWN ANTI-POLICE HATE.

Your title should read " I hate the cops and will post distortions of the facts in order to justify my hatred".

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-27-2015 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies