Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:18 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is all well and good until you see that the decreased police force means increased botched cases and more criminals getting off because of it. Don't act like you won't complain if your local area is adversely effected by "culling the police herds by 50%."

notice how I said police. keep the Sheriff and their deputies at full strength, as the people can vote in a new Sheriff if needed.

if most of the police disappeared in my area, I doubt i would even notice, as the cops in the winter are at least an hour away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:00 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Now..I will say since the last many cases..when there's video and strong evidence of BAD Acts by a police officer..The Blue Wall goes up..defending that Bad actor..which unfortunately fans the flames of anyone who has been mistreated or taken advantage of..never mind killed.
Next..The complaints and excessive force that directly affects not only the victim's but family..So, for every one hurt by one or two bad actors multiply existentially...and grows further when justice is not served....

Having said all this..then I will ask the question again..Why do so many people hate cops?? No..They hate the System that protects the "Bad Apples" ..thus distrust
Except that is not what happens. Statistics bear out that 60%+ of internals affairs complaints come from cops reporting other cops. And well over 80% of sustained complaints come from cops reporting cops; which just speaks to the fact that huge number of complaints from the general public are frivolous.

The most dangerous thing by far to a dirty cop is a fellow cop.

Again, the media is only interested in showing you the outlier cases that bring advertising dollars. A cop reporting a dirty cop and that dirty cop being brought to justice will, at best, get a page 4 story in print media (tv media has no interest in it at all).

Old 02-28-2015, 11:05 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
OIA.. officer initiated actions are down to 7000 last month in Ferguson.. down from 21000 the month before Brown.. when the gentle giant was out for s stroll

Perhaps the community will get what it wants.. less policing...

Wont that be a special place to live....

Old 02-28-2015, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Many times LE has become a cancer on society and then they wonder why we don't trust them. Many of us fear the crooks with badges more than the crooks without badges.
-----------------------
When police raided his house in St. Joseph County, Michigan, Thomas Williams, a 72-year-old cancer patient, had 12 marijuana plants, as permitted by his state's medical marijuana law. But he also had a few unplanted seedlings that he had prepared to replace plants that were dying. The cops said the seedlings put him over the legal limit. They did not charge him with a crime. Instead they took his stuff, including his car, his TV, his cellphone, his shotgun, and $11,000 in cash. They are trying to take his house too.

Michigan Cops Protect Citizens by Stealing Leaf Blowers From Cancer Patients - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Most law abiding citizens with families that also believe in obeying the law do not hate cops. Yes, there are bad ones, there are bad people in every walk of life; handy men, firemen, doctors, lawyers, accountants, you name it, there will be some. I wonder, for those who are anti cops, do you guys spend hours looking for these types of stories to try and prove your point? I am sorry, but I think cops get a bad rap most of the time.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yeah, ok then judge Dredd. You seem to have no problem deciding or profiling that all who use marijuana are scum, yet if someone does the same profiling or assumption making with you if you are a police officer, it gets your gun belt and handcuffs all twisted in a wad.

If you are a officer which your user name is very telling that you seem the type of jaded hard azz officer that has decided everybody is guilty of something they just haven't got caught yet.

As a matter of fact many who smoke marijuana do it responsibly and go to work everyday and pay their own way in life.

I actually don't have ill will toward police in general, most are just people doing their job. But when you have masked military style police units raiding with no knock warrants being the bill colectors for government coffers and if these officers support the war on drugs like you seem to do, then you are part of the problem.

It use to be the bad guys wore masks, now too often its the cops that do. It is always about follow the money trail, whether its democrats and obamacare, or our i in the middle east, or the war on drugs. Always hidden under the guise of making things safe, or helping people but really its about making money or protecting money.
Many do smoke it responsibly? Isn't that a matter of opinion? Yes, we probably all know people who do this, but when it is illegal that is what it is. Until it is legal where someone lives they should not be indulging and the cops have every right to take action I might add, more who use it are not all the upstanding citizens and when it gets in the hands of kids, now that the new pot is so much stronger, it isn't a good thing.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:49 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Perhaps it's time we start holding their "employers" as in the politicians that enact these laws accountable for once? Quit voting for proponents of the police state on both sides of the aisle. Know what I mean?
Working on a plan here. We're organizing.

Hopefully the youth can lead. 80 Million strong we Millenials are.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Sorry, but that's not a problem with the police. Blame the lawmakers you and I elected and allowed to pass the laws that made this crap possible. WE are to blame and continue to be until we demand that asset forfeiture laws are eliminated. All the police did in this case is enforce the law. In far too many places, corrupt lawmakers and community leaders use their police departments for revenue generation, rather than to catch criminals. Again...WE have allowed this.

What exactly have you done to get these laws overturned in your state?
Do Police pull each over for talking on their cell or not wearing their seat belt??

Have any other arguments?

Old 02-28-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Roadking.... avowed police hater posts ...I hate cops ,,,

nothing new here

I hate dirtbags too.... but like POLICE.. they are hear to stay...
The Police in the story are dirtbags. What do you mean?

Or do you only see dirt bags who don't wear blue??

Police selectively enforce laws in this country every single day.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Same thing would have happened to him if it were alcohol instead of marijuana that he was producing and selling. Just like alcohol, tobacco, and OTC drugs, marijuana will never be completely unregulated. He was nailed with a civil violation of marijuana regulations; the legality of marijuana (and it was legal in this case) had no real effect on the case.

They don't raid for alcohol.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
What I get so miffed with is saying a COP does a BAD thing..and all of a sudden defenders say..extremely so..means you hate all COPS!!

My question is..how do Good Cops allow the rotten bad actors within their midst to pervert the perceptions (actually rhetorical ??/because the system in place forces them to fall in line and ****)...Now..I will say since the last many cases..when there's video and strong evidence of BAD Acts by a police officer..The Blue Wall goes up..defending that Bad actor..which unfortunately fans the flames of anyone who has been mistreated or taken advantage of..never mind killed.
Next..The complaints and excessive force that directly affects not only the victim's but family..So, for every one hurt by one or two bad actors multiply existentially...and grows further when justice is not served....

Having said all this..then I will ask the question again..Why do so many people hate cops?? No..They hate the System that protects the "Bad Apples" ..thus distrust

Police have an entitlement issue in America. It seems to be drawing more and more.

Their simply drones, not humans. Anyone with half a brain can see what's going on in this country.

It's why we have our current Revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies