Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 12:25 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Do you believe what happened was justified? Yes or No?

How many homes are raided for alcohol each year?
Justified? Of course not. But justification is the job of lawmakers, not police, especially when a civil federal warrant has been issued.

For the second time, his "home" was also a licensed manufacturing and distribution facility.

But I suspect in any major metro you will find dozens to hundreds of homes raided every year for illegal sale or distribution of alcohol (not so much manufacturing, because home distilling other than beer and wine is pretty dangerous, especially compared to home growing commercial marijuana).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 12:27 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Justified? Of course not. But justification is the job of lawmakers, not police, especially when a civil federal warrant has been issued.

I simply wanted to know your opinion.

So Police routinely "justify" whether or not they enforce a crime. Yes or No?

For the second time, his "home" was also a licensed manufacturing and distribution facility.

I wanted to know if you felt the actions were justified.

But I suspect in any major metro you will find dozens to hundreds of homes raided every year for illegal sale or distribution of alcohol (not so much manufacturing, because home distilling other than beer and wine is pretty dangerous, especially compared to home growing commercial marijuana).
I've never heard of a single one. And I'm currently in bootlegger country.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:33 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
I've never heard of a single one. And I'm currently in bootlegger country.
Again, news doesn't cover it. When I lived in Iowa City, there were normally 2-3 such raids on homes for illegal alcohol sales every weekend during football season. This is pretty common in every college town or neighborhood. You could count on a dozen bars each year being shut down for alcohol violations, normally with fines, seizures, and lost revenue far greater than any of the three people in the original article suffered. And that was <100k population Iowa City.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
notice how I said police. keep the Sheriff and their deputies at full strength, as the people can vote in a new Sheriff if needed.

I live in Maricopa County with Sheriff Joe and his deputies as well as volunteers, the posse. I wish we wouldn't be stupid enough to elect that idiot if he was to be up for office again.

if most of the police disappeared in my area, I doubt i would even notice, as the cops in the winter are at least an hour away.
Perhaps you would, perhaps you wouldn't. I don't know why you wouldn't have a satelite station like my area does with both fire and police. I'm also kind of out in the sticks but we have a small police and fire station as we are 20 minutes away from the City of Buckeye proper (for those of you who don't know, that is by I-10, we are 20 minutes Northeast of that.)

Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Stop the Drug War (most illegal war in US history) and Policing for profit and instantly you have solve the Police problem.
In a nutshell..Hell yes! Police powers of search and seizure were already expanded for the "war on drugs". Now, under the Patriot Act, it has gone , leaps and bounds, further. Car more people have been arrested, imprisoned a d bad everything they have seized, because of drug violations, many quite minor, under powers granted by the Patriot Act, than terror suspects, foreign or domestic.

If a cop wants to drag you out of your car, and rip it apart, all be has to do is say " I THINK I detect an odor of alcohol/marijuana". SWAT can get a no knock, and kick in your doors, because of "suspicious odors" . The point being, SUSPICION, alone.is now enough for LE to rip your car , home. life, to shreds. OK, yea, its the LAW that's the problem, but, it does seem as of LE takes an inordinate amount of pleasure in enforcing such "law". It do seem as if more cops than not enjoy these new extensions of their authority.

It also amazes me how many people seem to be just fine with that, as well. " If you have nothing to hide, why should it be a problem if they want to toss you"? Well, I DONT have anything illegal to hide, but that doesn't mean I'm OK with a bunch of cops tearing through our house, dumping out the contents of my lady and my..personal..life on the floor, so they can have a yuck in the locker room later. The bloody HELL if I'm OK with cops wanting to search anything of mine. Just to satisfy their curiosity or because someone has a suspicion.

Its not about whether I'm hiding anything illegal. There are certain things people want kept PRIVATE, and I am NOT good with allowing LE to parade our personal lives out, embarrassing us and feedinglocker room humor because of a "suspicious odor" or some other trumped up drivel. Our privacy, and rights to that privacy, trumps suspicion of wrongdoing. If a cop asks me if its OK to search my car/home, the answer will always be HELL NO!

Old 02-28-2015, 01:52 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
In a nutshell..Hell yes! Police powers of search and seizure were already expanded for the "war on drugs". Now, under the Patriot Act, it has gone , leaps and bounds, further. Car more people have been arrested, imprisoned a d bad everything they have seized, because of drug violations, many quite minor, under powers granted by the Patriot Act, than terror suspects, foreign or domestic.

If a cop wants to drag you out of your car, and rip it apart, all be has to do is say " I THINK I detect an odor of alcohol/marijuana". SWAT can get a no knock, and kick in your doors, because of "suspicious odors" . The point being, SUSPICION, alone.is now enough for LE to rip your car , home. life, to shreds. OK, yea, its the LAW that's the problem, but, it does seem as of LE takes an inordinate amount of pleasure in enforcing such "law". It do seem as if more cops than not enjoy these new extensions of their authority.

It also amazes me how many people seem to be just fine with that, as well. " If you have nothing to hide, why should it be a problem if they want to toss you"? Well, I DONT have anything illegal to hide, but that doesn't mean I'm OK with a bunch of cops tearing through our house, dumping out the contents of my lady and my..personal..life on the floor, so they can have a yuck in the locker room later. The bloody HELL if I'm OK with cops wanting to search anything of mine. Just to satisfy their curiosity or because someone has a suspicion.

Its not about whether I'm hiding anything illegal. There are certain things people want kept PRIVATE, and I am NOT good with allowing LE to parade our personal lives out, embarrassing us and feedinglocker room humor because of a "suspicious odor" or some other trumped up drivel. Our privacy, and rights to that privacy, trumps suspicion of wrongdoing. If a cop asks me if its OK to search my car/home, the answer will always be HELL NO!
100% agreed. Basic civil liberties should never be taken for granted.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
100% agreed. Basic civil liberties should never be taken for granted.
Then how do we deal with protecting ourselves from terrorist activities? I may be agitated with what I need to do with going through TSA at an airport but I understand the purpose. I saw the smoke from the twin towers some 40/50 miles east of Manhattan in suburban Long Island, NY on 9/11/01 and we all saw the carnage from the 2013 Boston Marathon attack as well as the wreckage from 1995 OKC bombing. How do we protect everyone while we also protect individual civil liberties. I'd argue there is no balance where we can serve both equally without hurting either the collective or the individuals.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:55 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then how do we deal with protecting ourselves from terrorist activities? I may be agitated with what I need to do with going through TSA at an airport but I understand the purpose. I saw the smoke from the twin towers some 40/50 miles east of Manhattan in suburban Long Island, NY on 9/11/01 and we all saw the carnage from the 2013 Boston Marathon attack as well as the wreckage from 1995 OKC bombing. How do we protect everyone while we also protect individual civil liberties. I'd argue there is no balance where we can serve both equally without hurting either the collective or the individuals.
Then I would tend to err on the side of civil liberties.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Then I would tend to err on the side of civil liberties.
And what happens if we allow 9/11 or the shoe bomber to happen again? What if you or your family are harmed if your civil liberties are protected while we allow terrorists to get onto airplanes with explosives or the ability to take a plane hostage?

Old 02-28-2015, 06:42 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Roadking.... avowed police hater posts ...I hate cops ,,,

nothing new here

I hate dirtbags too.... but like POLICE.. they are hear to stay...
Notmeofficer ..........avowed supporter of police who abuse their power.

Nothing new here.

Why do you support LE abuse of power?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies