Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 11:10 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That doesn't sound right. When you have a policy you pay the amount the insurer would pay, not the doctor's billed amount. If a doc gets $179 (that sounds pretty typical for a family practice visit), the insurer has negotiated rates in network with that doc of probably 1/3 to 1/2 of that. The negotiated rate is what you pay, not the full price. In many cases, I notice on my benefits statements that the insurer is paying much less than I am with my copay. I end up paying $50 bucks while they pay $30, for example. And, I pay $15,000 per year and get no subsidy for my family coverage.

More generally, you are asking the impossible when it comes to affordable coverage. The underlying care is simply too pricey for coverage to be affordable with an average income. Subsidies go up to those making over $90K in some instances, and as you point out, it still is not enough. Health care is 1/6 of the GDP of the country and, accordingly, it is going to require about 1/6 of our annual earnings to pay for it. Most can't afford that. Employer provided coverage is a great benefit that most people who have simply don't appreciate until it comes time to find their own.

The only way out of this mess is to do what the rest of the world does and institute some form of tax supported healthcare. Obamacare was a proposal from the right to keep that from happening as it likely means the end of private insurers and the profits they rake in.
I'm not sure what you are getting at. The amounts I stated were my "out of pocket" not the negotiated rate. The $179 did not include the insurer's amount. When I was billed, I would be billed $179 at the desk (I then mentioned how much I was paying monthly for my insurance). Since my deductible is so high, insurance covers none of my visit until I hit that deductible. After further discussion, I had her charge me as "uninsured", and this dropped my cost to $65 instead of $179, thus saving me over $100 on that visit. The trade off was, my payment would not be recorded by insurance, therefore would not go towards my deducible. Had I paid with my insurance, the $179 out of pocket would have gone towards my astronomically high deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Republicans were never allowed to be part of the process creating Obamacare.

Obamacare wasn't And isn't needed. Obamacare is just a way to redistribute wealth under the cloak of healthcare.
By the way, all should remember that obamacare is not healthcare, it is insurance forced on people and must be abided by at the whim of those who control it.

It in fact has nothing to do with healthcare.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador;38784691[QUOTE
]You do realize that Obamacare will only hit you in your income tax each year
you decide not to get covered by it
Yep. It is called extortion.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
No, I'm not complaining at all. While the ACA has problems, it has provided health insurance for several million who weren't previously covered. Isn't more persons having better health coverage (or at least some coverage) an improvement?
It has also knocked millions of people off perfectly good insurance programs and tried to force them into an inferior program.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:29 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,725 times
Lack of "PRIVACY" is my biggest issue now that there are electronic health records all tied to each other! Really resent this and have not been to a MD since it began. Would rather be sick. If I can find an underground way to go to the Dr pay cash w paper records... I am a nurse wo pre-exisiting health issues but just as I would die for my faith or with my gun in my hand...it's unconstitutional!

Also noticed that when you need durable goods & rx refills you have to prove (per lab values, sleep studies...) and pay over and over again to get the equipment that keeps my family healthy!

Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Under Bush, the health care crisis stared the Republicans in the face for 8 STRAIGHT YEARS, and Pubs ignored it. Then when this great President comes with a great plan that is desperately needed, Republicans gut it, unloading their stench on it. You don't like the plan? Blame your own party.

If Republicans had a better plan, they should've implemented it while Dubya was in office, or made proposals to make this one better for ALL, not just the rich. Your complaining means nothing.
Up to your usual moronic standards, I see. Started with Bush? Look up the Clinton administration and see if they happened to try to change health care, or the Reagan administration.

Your bigotry blinds you to all facts except those told to you by your Dear Leader (of which the vast majority are drastically wrong).

It is really time for you to grow up.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:50 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What "my stuff" are you referring to that you are paying for, but I am not?
Health insurance subsidies.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
What is the plan B when SCOTUS over turns the subsidy portion of this abomination (remember it is currently in court)? Dear Leader has already admitted that he has none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What's the Plan B in the event you have a serious accident, become a victim of a violent crime or acquire a nasty life threatening disease?
I'd like to know what plan B is for the 30 million expected to go without insurance, even though ACA was to insure EVERY american..

how people can claim its a success or fixed anything, or how they can keep arguing that we needed to pass it because some will have serious accidents, as if thats going away, is a mystery to me.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:28 PM

305 posts, read 724,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You're surely a picture of splendid health, don't know what real pain and sickness is and so can't relate to other people, who can't say the same. So instead of from you, I would rather hear from someone, who is sitting in a wheelchair complain about how how wrong and bad ObamaCare is.
No. I'll never relate to other people who are more disabled than I am. I'm disabled, but my disability is neither fatal nor that debilitating to the point where I can't use the bathroom by myself. It just puts me at a bigger disadvantage at finding and keeping work than those who function normally.

It's costing me, my family, and the rest of america a lot of money when if not for the law, I'd have not bothered with insurance until I had the money to pay for it. I'd rather suffer getting the tax penalty than to have to put my family go through putting me under their insurance. I can't afford going to doctors, nor paying $200 a month to not get tax credits. I don't have a life threatening condition. I don't have cancer, diabetes or a prosthetic leg, insurance should not be a necessity.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:40 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
You do realize that Obamacare will only hit you in your income tax each year you decide not to get covered by it.

I, for one, welcome health for EVERY AMERICAN; however, I do not like the growing pains we all are going through as a result of it.

The extortion called a fine for me was reduced to zero by my tax credits. And I will keep doing that every year.

I refuse to pay for a product that doesn't' suit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies