Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:37 PM

26,506 posts, read 15,084,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I use to think that in most countries political conflict was mostly about the left fighting the right, but now that I have some life experience I have started to notice that the left actually spends almost as much time hating on other portions of the left as it does the right.

Why is it that right-wingers generally are more able to work with other right-wingers while left-wingers are always at each others throats?
Huh?

The media has been running with stories of a GOP Civil War (Tea Party vs. Establishment).

Democrats "should" fight one another. Obama blasted Bush for a long list of reasons and has since endorsed or even out-Bushed Bush on that list. The left should be furious with Obama.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:50 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Huh?

The media has been running with stories of a GOP Civil War (Tea Party vs. Establishment).
The media here does it also, but this is because of liberal influence in the media rather than any actual truth. Media people tend to be obnoxious snobs or self-proclaimed intellectuals and will thus often be more likely to hate on the right rather than the left. This problem tends to be even worse in countries that have government owned news media like my own.

While it's anybody's guess why media people tend to often be left-leaning, I speculate this might be because left-leaning intellectuals often believe them self's to be smarter than everyone else and that it is thus their duty to go and tell what they believe to be the truth to the world. Right-wingers all the while, while they may also believe their opinions to be the correct ones do generally not obsess if others agree with them or not as long as they are left alone in peace. Right-wing media still exists (FOX news in the US is a good example), but generally speaking media appears to attract more left-leaning than right-leaning people.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:34 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
If you believe what you are told to believe there's little room for debate. The only argument is when the people telling you what to believe have a disagreement. The tea party is an example. On the left where you are making your own decisions there tends to be more debate.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:34 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
What do you mean by "left winger" OP? If you mean Democrats, it's because the tent is too big to have an overriding ideology. And if you mean liberals, getting two or more liberals to agree on anything is like herding cats. There's always a better way depending on who you ask.

You seem to think that a plurality of ideas is a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Huh?

That story is played out. There will be some rumblings during the primary, but Ted Cruz's weird and baffling influence over the House of Representatives, and 47 Senators signing onto to letter drafted by a freshman Senator with 3 months experience tell you exactly who won that civil war.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:38 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
Quote:
I use to think that in most countries political conflict was mostly about the left fighting the right, but now that I have some life experience I have started to notice that the left actually spends almost as much time hating on other portions of the left as it does the right.

Why is it that right-wingers generally are more able to work with other right-wingers while left-wingers are always at each others throats
You're new to the forum and by the sound of your thread equivalent of a push poll, new to politics too.

If you have followed politics for any amount of time you would see plenty of right fighting right. The current batch of conservatives practically disown old school ones.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If you believe what you are told to believe there's little room for debate. The only argument is when the people telling you what to believe have a disagreement. The tea party is an example. On the left where you are making your own decisions there tends to be more debate.
Huh?

The left has always been dedicated to transferring decisions from the individual level to the collective level. The left wants less money in the pockets of the individual and more in the pockets of DC. The left wants guns only in the hands of the collective (military and police) while the right wants guns in the hands of individuals. The left wants a one-size-fits-all school system run out of DC, while the right wants school choice. The list goes on.

Do you realize that you have it all completely bass-ackwards?

Old 03-15-2015, 03:57 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Wutotz, I argue with a lot of folks on both sides. By far the right tends to repeat things they are told, rather then facts. Yes some on the right will discuss facts, but by far that's more common for me to see on the left.

I know there's a huge narrative where the right characterizes the left as you just did, but look at the arguments.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:01 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post

Why is it that right-wingers generally are more able to work with other right-wingers while left-wingers are always at each others throats?
I believe your entire premise is false, at least in the US.

In the US, if right-wingers work so very well together, why have they not been able to agree upon a presidential candidate they can get elected? Why is it an issue that a conservative candidate who can get elected by the entire country, cannot make it through the trial-by-fire primaries voted upon by the base? Why is the conservative 'base' looked at as a whole different animal than the party establishment? Why did so many conservatives stay home rather than vote for Romney? Why did Boehner almost get ousted as Speaker by his own party? Why can't Boehner ever coalesce the party he represents and get his caucus to agree?

Old 03-15-2015, 04:02 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
While I don't agree that lefties argue more than righties, I do think that many lefties are arrogant and humorless. The San Francisco Bay Area is overflowing with such tight azzes, who are convinced they are superior in every conceivable way. It gets old. That said, they are more right than wrong overall, even if self distance is often sorely lacking. Not all lefties are like that though.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:09 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
While I don't agree that lefties argue more than righties, I do think that many lefties are arrogant and humorless. The San Francisco Bay Area is overflowing with such tight azzes, who are convinced they are superior in every conceivable way. It gets old. That said, they are more right than wrong overall, even if self distance is often sorely lacking. Not all lefties are like that though.
That theory does not really hold water. How is that most comedians are liberals and most neocons humorless war mongers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies