Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 02:11 AM

250 posts, read 413,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Or you could turn on a few episodes of The First 48 and see for yourself what's really going on in the black community.

Your post is disgusting.

Agreed... .

Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,547,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If you've dealt with all walks of life, just as you say you have, then there's no possible way for you to make the statement you made above without being intentionally disingenuous or an outright liar. Which one is it?
This doesn't make sense. One one hand, I call out particular groups of white people. Then, I state that black people aren't monolithic. What's your problem?

ETA: also, I'm not the person here claiming that an entire race can be represented by suspects on a cable TV crime show.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,988,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
As far as the US goes, the obsession with black people is due to certain white people feeling a desire to be "better" than at least one group. You can see it in films like "Song of the South", where the KKK saves the south from the lazy nergoes. You can see it in the writings of the Confederates during the Civil War, happily proclaiming that white supremacy and black slavery were morally right and worth going to war for. You can find it in Nixon's "Law and Order" rhetoric, or Reagan's "young bucks/welfare queens" rhetoric. You can find it yesterday on this forum, in the repeated assertions that black people don't value education and don't want to work. You can see it in the people stomping around, waving racist signs and yelling "I want my country back!". Hey, they are't rich, they aren't bright, they aren't hard-working really, so all they have is that they're white. And since there are a lot of them, the mediates them on the head, and tells them, against all evidence, that they're self-made, and that it's black people who rely on government assistance.

It's a very self-flattering myth.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:49 AM

250 posts, read 413,622 times
Quote:
As far as the US goes, the obsession with black people is due to certain white people feeling a desire to be "better" than at least one group. You can see it in films like "Song of the South", where the KKK saves the south from the lazy nergoes. You can see it in the writings of the Confederates during the Civil War, happily proclaiming that white supremacy and black slavery were morally right and worth going to war for. You can find it in Nixon's "Law and Order" rhetoric, or Reagan's "young bucks/welfare queens" rhetoric. You can find it yesterday on this forum, in the repeated assertions that black people don't value education and don't want to work. You can see it in the people stomping around, waving racist signs and yelling "I want my country back!". Hey, they are't rich, they aren't bright, they aren't hard-working really, so all they have is that they're white. And since there are a lot of them, the mediates them on the head, and tells them, against all evidence, that they're self-made, and that it's black people who rely on government assistance.

It's a very self-flattering myth.
You watch way too much TV

Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,446,632 times
For Blacks poverty equals rampant violence and other social ills. For other groups the dysfunction isn't as deeply entrenched. Thus blacks generate more headlines such as this weekend where 50+ people were killed in NYC and Chicago almost all of the victims were black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Why are blacks used as the stereotypical symbol of poverty in the US? This is a touchy subject, but something i've always wanted to know and hear reasons as to why. I also have six additional questions? The reason i quesiton the use is the following.

1. Why do liberals champion poor black over poor whites?
2. How do poor whites feel as a forgotten group?
3. Is this done to maintain some sort of imaginary status quo?
4. Is anyone informed of this information?
5. If this is true why are blacks defacto scapegoats for welfare?
6. Is this the reason the news perfers to use percentages of pop as opposed to total raw numbers?

All total Families Below Poverty Level
1.Whites 53%
2. Blacks 26%
3. Other 22%

Even when you combine 2+3 whites are still the majority of poor people

Individuals Below Poverty Level
1.Whites 55%
2. Blacks 24%
3. Other 21%

Even when you combine 2+3 whites are still the majority of poor people

United States
Families below poverty level 6,620,945
Individuals below poverty level 33,899,812
Work Force Population 138,820,935

Blacks (alone -non hispanic)
Families below poverty level 1,777,105 26% of poor families
Individuals below poverty level 8,146,146 24% of poor individuals
Labor Force Population 14,905,895 10% of labor force
Total Pop 34,658,190

Whites (alone -non hispanic)
Families below poverty level 3,548,532 53% of poor families
Individuals below poverty level 18,847,674 55% of poor individuals
Work Force 108,079,326 77% of labor force
Total Pop 211,460,626

Link
United States - Select a Race, Ethnic, or Ancestry Group - American FactFinder=

Old 09-07-2011, 05:11 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,446,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Let me ask you a question.

Do you believe Black people are the only rapist, murderers, thieves in this world (Earth)?

Black Women where raped for years and the Rapers where free to go.

No persecutions!

You make it seem that my people are the problem. Do you truly believe that?

Because if you do!!. I have a Plethora of dirt to share.
So because there are other races that rape the scope of rape in South Africa means nothing? I don't understand this method of debating when confronting with stats why is it that posters respond with anecdotes as some sort of valid rebuttal?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,157,518 times
Quote:
This doesn't make sense. One one hand, I call out particular groups of white people. Then, I state that black people aren't monolithic. What's your problem?

ETA: also, I'm not the person here claiming that an entire race can be represented by suspects on a cable TV crime show.
I make total sense.

On one hand, you're saying you've worked directly with all walks of life. On the other hand, you're asserting that those who 'want their country back' are of only one origin, one background, one specific social and economic juxtaposition. If you've worked with all walks of life, then you should know that those who rally against this government are ALSO from all walks of life, instead of the "monolithic" group that you painted them as.

You see, I put a hefty dose of reverse psychology on you using The First 48 example and you're not even smart enough to realize it. In other words, I used your own statements against you to show you how disgusting your thought processes are.

Checkmate.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 AM

89,216 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
For Blacks poverty equals rampant violence and other social ills. For other groups the dysfunction isn't as deeply entrenched. Thus blacks generate more headlines such as this weekend where 50+ people were killed in NYC and Chicago almost all of the victims were black.
That.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,473,506 times
Default Why are blacks the defacto Symbol of Poverty in the US?

Because they're simply more "obvious" (they look "different" than the dominant population), and they're easier to notice (often being concentrated in urban "ghettoes"). On the other hand, poor whites are a much larger group, but they tend to "blend in" with other whites, and they're largely scattered around the rural parts of the country (aka "red" states & counties), making them more "invisible".

Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 AM

89,216 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
All total Families Below Poverty Level
1.Whites 53%
2. Blacks 26%
3. Other 22%

Individuals Below Poverty Level
1.Whites 55%
2. Blacks 24%
3. Other 21%
Thanks for posting those stats. Please note that...

Whites are underrepresented compared to their percentage of the population, which is 63.7%. Additionally, the stat you posted may be too high if those of Hispanic or Latino origin were included as Whites, which is frequently the case.

Blacks are overrepresented compared to their percentage of the population, which is 12.6%.

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies