Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,189,732 times

Advertisements

I think it's a problem that we have to label poor people by race. Shouldn't we be focusing on their poorness lol? They're all poor, why does the race matter?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 AM

88,680 posts, read 44,457,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I think it's a problem that we have to label poor people by race. Shouldn't we be focusing on their poorness lol? They're all poor, why does the race matter?
Part of the problem of pervasive recurring poverty may be one of cultural identity. When Obama ran the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, he and Ayers selected a cultural identity curriculum for the participating public schools instead of an academic curriculum. Of course, the results were disastrous, and the Chicago Annenberg Challenge failed.

Insistence on encouraging and preserving separate cultural identities creates a distinct barrier when addressing comprehensive social ills, etc. It's known as Balkanization, and it's a significant problem in the US.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 AM

12,909 posts, read 13,586,976 times
If poverty can be decreased among African Americans then poverty can decreased among the rest of the population, and conversely if poverty rises among African Americans then we have no real remedies to address poverty nation wide. IMO poverty among African Americans is a social problem, an economic problem, a legal problem and a political problem to varying degrees. Unfortunately since poverty tends manifest itself as a social problem we address the problem with social workers.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,541,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I make total sense.

On one hand, you're saying you've worked directly with all walks of life. On the other hand, you're asserting that those who 'want their country back' are of only one origin, one background, one specific social and economic juxtaposition. If you've worked with all walks of life, then you should know that those who rally against this government are ALSO from all walks of life, instead of the "monolithic" group that you painted them as.

You see, I put a hefty dose of reverse psychology on you using The First 48 example and you're not even smart enough to realize it. In other words, I used your own statements against you to show you how disgusting your thought processes are.

Checkmate.
Sorry, logic doesn't work that way. Even if I said that "all poor white people are angry racists who yell 'I want my country back", and I didn't say that, it does not follow that everyone saying "I want my country back" is poor and racist.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,767,274 times
Didn't read all 2-3 years worth of responses and I'm sure this was mentioned, but because a lot of white people don't like to admit that a lot of them are poor and living in poverty. Some, not all and not most IMO, like to make crime or poverty only a black phenomenon that doesn't affect them when in reality that is not true at all.

People like to have someone worse off than they are because it makes them feel better. Black people have historically always been the "worse than" population, not just in this country but the world so it is easy to see why people focus on black poverty more than other ethnicities.

I grew up rather poor but the poorest people I knew were white, like not having shoes or coats poor and I grew up in northern OH where winters were very cold.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,462,618 times
Why was this thread resurrected? Poverty is a problem but 25% of a population is not the majority. But don't let facts get in the way of rants. Blacks are the defacto Symbol of Poverty because old stereotypes are hard to break. Just close your eyes and think about all the stereotypes of the different races. They are true, but they don't apply to all, most or even half of that particular segment of the population.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Blacks are the defacto Symbol of Poverty because...
...they are the most overrepresented racial group in poverty when compared to their percentage of the total US population.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,421,040 times
^^^ Will try to keep that in mind everytime I see another statistic indicating that the overwhelming majority of Federal assistance still goes to poor whites living in rural areas in this country (aka "red" states & counties).

The Federal Aid Jackpot: States That Receive The Most Federal Assistance (PHOTOS)

Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^^^ Will try to keep that in mind everytime I see another statistic indicating that the overwhelming majority of Federal assistance still goes to poor whites living in rural areas in this country (aka "red" states & counties).
Whites are actually underrepresented when compared to their percentage of the total US population.

Shall we review the stats again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
All total Families Below Poverty Level
1.Whites 53%
2. Blacks 26%
3. Other 22%

Individuals Below Poverty Level
1.Whites 55%
2. Blacks 24%
3. Other 21%
Thanks for posting those stats. Please note that...

Whites are underrepresented compared to their percentage of the population, which is 63.7%. Additionally, the stat you posted may be too high if those of Hispanic or Latino origin were included as Whites, which is frequently the case.

Blacks are overrepresented compared to their percentage of the population, which is 12.6%.

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
What is it that so many of you DO NOT understand about the concept of statistical under- and overrepresentation?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,520,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Whites are actually underrepresented when compared to their percentage of the total US population.

Shall we review the stats again?

What is it that so many of you DO NOT understand about the concept of statistical under- and overrepresentation?

It doesn't take a rocket science to know that my race African-American have a higher rate of Unemployment "Thus" making them have a higher POVERTY RATE.....anymore questions!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.