Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 10:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times

Advertisements

The Rising Cost of Living Longer: Analysis of Medicare Spending by Age for Beneficiaries in Traditional Medicare | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

There have been many pushing taxing unhealthy foods, enforcing labeling requirements and even a fat tax stating it will lower this nation's healthcare costs. I have no reason to believe people living longer will reduce medical costs and suspect the contrary might be true. Individuals dropping dead of a heart attack at 65 are individuals who cost medicare little or nothing . An extra benefit is they do not collect SS.

I think the above link is quite valuable to reference here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 11:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
No.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Only if you also subsidize supersized fries and a 32oz Coke, otherwise what is the point of just a burger.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
I really think that assisted suicide will be nation wide in the future at least I really hope so. I have said this before that once I am unable to walk and lose my bodily functions I want the freedom to check out. This will reduce the cost of Medicare greatly and be less of a burden for the younger generation.

As far as taxing unhealthy food I say no, which way is our country going? the nanny state? the police state? or a combination of both? That kind of behavior tax is tyrannical and against the freedom our country is supposed to stand for. I say give people more freedom to check out at their choosing.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:50 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I really think that assisted suicide will be nation wide in the future at least I really hope so. I have said this before that once I am unable to walk and lose my bodily functions I want the freedom to check out. This will reduce the cost of Medicare greatly and be less of a burden for the younger generation.

As far as taxing unhealthy food I say no, which way is our country going? the nanny state? the police state? or a combination of both? That kind of behavior tax is tyrannical and against the freedom our country is supposed to stand for. I say give people more freedom to check out at their choosing.
If you're opposed to a nanny state, why do you want assisted suicide? What's keeping you from doing it on your own?

Old 03-23-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you're opposed to a nanny state, why do you want assisted suicide? What's keeping you from doing it on your own?
If I have the opportunity I will do it on my own. I prefer the assisted because it is a done deal with no suffering. Plus who knows what the factors would be at that point in my life.

I apologize to the OP I was not trying to hi jack thread on the point they were trying to make, but assisted suicide would have to be a factor in future Medicare spending.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
If I have the opportunity I will do it on my own. I prefer the assisted because it is a done deal with no suffering. Plus who knows what the factors would be at that point in my life.

I apologize to the OP I was not trying to hi jack thread on the point they were trying to make, but assisted suicide would have to be a factor in future Medicare spending.
I believe assisted suicide should be an option, I just don't see how someone can oppose the 'nanny state' yet support that very same state funding it.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I believe assisted suicide should be an option, I just don't see how someone can oppose the 'nanny state' yet support that very same state funding it.
OK, you caught me. keep in mind that I have paid into the system and at that age was continuing to pay for Medicare. What is the alternative? to be warehoused in a nursing home for many years and unable to walk? which drives up the cost greatly, go on a hunger strike and suffer? who knows what the factors will be? Since I have paid in the system all of my adult life should I have the freedom to choose? I say yes.

What alternatives would I have being unable to walk? leave the nursing home and roll out in the street and get hit by a car?

Like I said in the beginning by that time in my life assisted suicide will be nation wide no matter if I am for or against. I am going to be for it and check out. Others may choose to be stored in a ware house unable to walk and loss of body functions. To me that is not living to others maybe it is,

Old 03-23-2015, 04:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The Rising Cost of Living Longer: Analysis of Medicare Spending by Age for Beneficiaries in Traditional Medicare | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

There have been many pushing taxing unhealthy foods, enforcing labeling requirements and even a fat tax stating it will lower this nation's healthcare costs. I have no reason to believe people living longer will reduce medical costs and suspect the contrary might be true. Individuals dropping dead of a heart attack at 65 are individuals who cost medicare little or nothing . An extra benefit is they do not collect SS.

I think the above link is quite valuable to reference here.
Responding to your thread title, and your statement above, what makes you think a bacon cheeseburger is "unhealthy?" It contains meat, cheese, bread, tomato, lettuce, onion, pickle, perhaps a small amount of Mayo, and likely Ketchup. It's a complete meal in a bun!

If the meat and bacon are cooked properly, and the beef is lean, this should be a perfectly healthy sandwich. Besides, how many of them does a person eat in a week? One? Maybe two? As a matter of fact, I can't even remember the last time I had one at a "fast food" place; but, we do make hamburgers at home a couple of times a month (without the bacon), and we use a good sized slice of tomato and red onion, and home made pickle on the side. I buy only 80% lean ground chuck for them, and we make them about 1/3 lb. each. They're delicious. And I'm still under 140 lbs (and have been my entire life), and never sick.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
OK, you caught me. keep in mind that I have paid into the system and at that age was continuing to pay for Medicare. What is the alternative? to be warehoused in a nursing home for many years and unable to walk? which drives up the cost greatly, go on a hunger strike and suffer? who knows what the factors will be? Since I have paid in the system all of my adult life should I have the freedom to choose? I say yes.

What alternatives would I have being unable to walk? leave the nursing home and roll out in the street and get hit by a car?

Like I said in the beginning by that time in my life assisted suicide will be nation wide no matter if I am for or against. I am going to be for it and check out. Others may choose to be stored in a ware house unable to walk and loss of body functions. To me that is not living to others maybe it is,
You'll get no argument from me over assisted suicide, I always viewed Dr. 'Jack' as a hero, not a criminal.

I was just trying to make the point, and not just with you personally, that many who may claim to oppose the 'nanny state' in theory have no problem accepting its assistance in matters they support just as those who in theory support less government/less spending belie their true beliefs when they blindly support MORE military spending
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies