Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 02:12 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
the most popular mainstream news outlet is Fox News, which is unequivocably conservative.
It's not conservative, just Republican. There's nothing particularly conservative about supporting the Republicans' use of torture or entertaining claims made by the scientifically ignorant and woefully dishonest members of the Republican party. Watching CNN is like drinking from an empty glass, but watching Fox News is like being handed a glass of raw sewage, having a flag waved in my face, and being told that toxic sludge is good for me and that if I believe otherwise I'm a bad American who hates freedom so drink up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 02:14 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008
Republicans and their platform stand squarely on favoring corporations and those who benefit from the profits, with 0 regulations to bridle greed and exploitation in favor of business activities....

Quote:
This is such a shallow, junior high school understanding of the world and insulting to people who have sincere principles biased towards freedom.

It is very sad that you believe the 60,000,000 people who voted for Mitt Romney did so for reasons of greed and exploitation. I mean it isn't even logical.

Show me any Republican who thinks there should be zero regulations. Show me one.
It may not be 0 regulations but they do oppose any regulation that affects corporations maximizing profits at any costs to the consumers, the environment, civil rights and labor laws. if you find this a shallow understanding then you may need to explain yourself with more arguments other than facile labels and getting all offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008
don't actions and direct quotes from people more important criteria to judge? Reports of events and direct quotes, no matter biased left or right, are verifiable facts. Fox and MSNBC might encourage you to interpret these facts one way, put words in your mouth. But we also are in posession of our own minds. Can we not judge the consequences of the positions conservatives take and the laws they pass on the society we live in for ourselves?

Quote:
You still don't get it and have the barest of intellectual understanding.

As stated many times, the stories that aren't covered are as important as those that are. Which quotes are chosen are crucial too as they slant the coverage.
You seem to think insulting people is equal to being logical and actually presenting your arguments. I hear this thing about "what is NOT covered being important" all the time from those same people who mistrust "mainstream media" and love Fox news. Many times Fox news ignores important news such as when the President of the USA is making a statement and runs some other stuff that is not equally important. is that important?

the indian election where 1.25 billion people voted in the largest democracy in the world was not covered in any network. is that important? to some people it is. is the sex life of some hollywood star and his latest escapades important? to some people it is. all the networks and cable news and reputable newspaper cover all the nation's and world issues that are important.

what is NOT covered is a whole universe. it may or may not be important. but we get most of what is important to most people. that is a lot of coverage. if that is not enough for you and you must dig up news from opinions and blogs to be informed, then i question your intelligence in understanding world and national events and the effect it has in people's lives.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:17 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
It's not conservative, just Republican. There's nothing particularly conservative about supporting the Republicans' use of torture or entertaining claims made by the scientifically ignorant and woefully dishonest members of the Republican party. Watching CNN is like drinking from an empty glass, but watching Fox News is like being handed a glass of raw sewage, having a flag waved in my face, and being told that toxic sludge is good for me and that if I believe otherwise I'm a bad American who hates freedom so drink up.
ditto that.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:30 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
One of the left's go-to tactics is to constantly vilify and derogate the right in order to take the focus off their own hypocrisy, immorality and borderline criminality.
See how that works?
Kinda like you're doing to the left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Now, since you're so sure it's true, show us the evidence that the claim of liberal mainstream/network media bias is all "BS."
Wasn't the feigned Christian victimhood thread scheduled for this time slot? I thought the feigned GOP victim of media bias thread wasn't scheduled until early next week.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:05 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
These great, unbiased truth telling organizations you are getting information from are WarCrime911, TruthOut, WealthNews, WitnessIraq, SourceWatch, FreeSpeechTV, etc.

You do know that these are all extremist sites right? These are not dedicated, dig for the truth organizations, they are all agenda driven and the agenda is leftist.
Yes financed by extremists like Bill Gates. Gates wants billionaires to pay higher taxes to pay down our deficits, while his charity work saves millions of little children from dying.

Billionaire Bill Gates Calls For Increasing Taxes On The Rich: 'That's Just Justice' | ThinkProgress
Infographic Of The Day: Bill Gates Is A Better Superhero Than Batman | Co.Design | business + design

Quote:
You also know that documentary doesn't mean true right? Just because Michael Moore claims to do documentaries doesn't mean his stories are true, it just means they are non-fiction vs fiction.
The documentaries I posted are full of high level TV executives, high level political leaders, and high ranking military officials.

Quote:
Your funniest comment is that "and if its the right documentary". Yes, God forbid you get the wrong documentary and learn something contrary to your point of view.
There are documentaries out there saying we never landed on the moon, and the Sept 11 attacks were done by the US government. You must be careful of what you watch and believe.

Quote:
Cheney wasn't at Haliburton during the Iraq war obviously and had no ties to it. Kellogg Root Brown started getting no-bid contracts in the Middle East during the Clinton Administration because they were the only ones who could do the job. The no bids contracts later were rollover contracts from the same ones and new ones where they were again, the only contractor qualified to do the jobs.
Haliburton turned Cheney from a kinda rich man, into a very, very, very rich man. Do you honestly believe Cheney has no loyalty to Halliburton?

Quote:
I will take your reference link though that says Bill Clinton's scandal received "1000x" more coverage. I would say that once his lies were exposed it got more coverage, but where was the coverage before and where was the coverage on all the other women who made allegations? Robert Packwood was hounded from office on less offenses.
When GW Bush got elected the TV station CEO's were smiling and lighting up expensive cigars. GW Bush promised to give them $2.5 trillion dollars in tax cuts during his campaign.
Bush Tax Cuts After 2002: June 2002 CTJ Analysis

But Clinton raised taxes on the CEO's, and greedy CEO's hated Clinton. Thats why when the Clinton lie broke the TV CEO's ordered their news trucks and reporters to camp outside the White House and pursue the story with a vengeance.

Quote:
Your other links were DailyKos & ThinkProgress? Two of the most extremist, hard left winger sites there are. How are they credible?
How are they not credible or how do they lie?

But you can't answer the question (Just because Rush Limbaugh SAYS something that does not make it true.)

Quote:
If the news media gets "Republican corporate tax cuts", why didn't the Democrats remove them when they controlled the House, Senate and Presidency? The answer might be that the owners and management of most major media outlets are Democrats and heavy Democrat contributors. Have you never been on OpenSecrets.org?
The democrats tried to remove all the Bush tax cuts for the rich, and keep them for the middle class, but the republicans stopped them.
GOP Senators Reject Tax Cuts for Middle Class - CBS News

Obama also tried to raise tax rates for billionaire CEO's, and the republicans stopped him.
Buffett Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Republicans stop democrats with something called a "Filibuster."
Understanding the Filibuster | No Labels

Quote:
This is such a shallow, junior high school understanding of the world and insulting to people who have sincere principles biased towards freedom.
Being opposed to raising the min wage and being opposed to small business tax cuts, while you support tax cuts for the rich is freedom?

GOP Blocks Senate Small-Business Tax Cut Bill : Roll Call News

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress
Rand Paul's fix for Detroit: lower taxes for the rich, more pollution & lower wages for the poor

Quote:
It is very sad that you believe the 60,000,000 people who voted for Mitt Romney did so for reasons of greed and exploitation. I mean it isn't even logical.
The facts clearly show Romneys supports oppose high min wages and they support tax cuts for the rich.

Quote:
Show me any Republican who thinks there should be zero regulations. Show me one.
Republicans in this forum want to abolish the EPA and FDA (they make sure our water and food is safe.)

Republicans want to abolish every government agency that regulates and fines large corporations.
What Do the Koch Brothers Want? - Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont

Quote:
You still don't get it and have the barest of intellectual understanding.
Freedom, liberty, we want government out of our lives, making the right choices, Obama is a communist.

I understand your political views 1,000x better than (you) do.

Last edited by chad3; 03-28-2015 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 05:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
If a similar study was done for Fox news programs with Obama and Ted Cruz, what do you think the results would be?

Obama Clearly positive in tone (1%)
(99%) were negative.

Ted Cruz clearly positive in tone (99%)
(1%) were negative.
What does that have do with anything, we're not discussing the clear right leaning of Fox or the clear left leaning of MSNBC. We're discussing media bias in general, that study by Pew would include Fox, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NYT etc.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What does that have do with anything, we're not discussing the clear right leaning of Fox or the clear left leaning of MSNBC. We're discussing media bias in general, that study by Pew would include Fox, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NYT etc.
It would be nice if we read the reasoning behind these results rather than the wording of the results.

Quote:
Among the findings:

Coverage of Obama began in the negative after the conventions, but the tone switched with the changing direction of the polls. The most positive stories about him were those that were most political—the ones focused on polling, the electoral map, and tactics.

For McCain, coverage began positively, but turned sharply negative with McCain’s reaction to the crisis in the financial markets. As he took increasingly bolder steps to try and reverse the direction of the polls, the coverage only worsened. Attempts to turn the dialogue away from the economy through attacks on Obama’s character did hurt Obama’s media coverage, but McCain’s was even more negative.
so in short, saying Barack Obama is winning = positive coverage

Saying McCain is losing = negative coverage.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I

so in short, saying Barack Obama is winning = positive coverage

Saying McCain is losing = negative coverage.
The media should be making any predictions about who is winning or losing.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Just realize the republicans are brainwashed to believe everything Mother Jones and ThinkProgress says is a lie.
Just realize the Democrats are brainwashed to believe everything Mother Jones and ThinkProgress says is a gospel truth.

Quote:
Republicans complain about bias in the media "BUT FOX NEWS AND RUSH RADIO ARE THE MOST BIASED NEWS GROUPS OUT ARE."
Rush Limbaugh is not a network or news outlet.

Fox News bends over backwards to include other points of views on the panels they run. They undeniably cover issues differently from ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, HLN, MSNBC & PBS, but you won't acknowledge any bias in those outlets. You find their coverage perfectly okay.

Of course you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
It's not conservative, just Republican.
It is not the top news outlet. It get 1/4 the viewers of ABC and NBC and 1/3 of CBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Quote:It may not be 0 regulations but they do oppose any regulation that affects corporations maximizing profits at any costs to the consumers, the environment, civil rights and labor laws. if you find this a shallow understanding then you may need to explain yourself with more arguments other than facile labels and getting all offended.
Can you stop ranting long enough to use even just a tiny part of your brain?

Republicans oppose unnecessary and overly restrictive regulations. Democrats never met a regulation they didn't like even if it destroys whole industries and throws middle class workers out of jobs. They don't care if FDA rules kill thousands of people every year and drive drug costs through the roof. They don't care that regulations they passed have CA suffering through the worst drought on record.

Republicans think regulations have to be balanced when considered. Democrats don't give it a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You seem to think insulting people is equal to being logical and actually presenting your arguments. I hear this thing about "what is NOT covered being important" all the time from those same people who mistrust "mainstream media" and love Fox news. Many times Fox news ignores important news such as when the President of the USA is making a statement and runs some other stuff that is not equally important. is that important?
Insults are what your posts are all about. If the insults were gone you'd have zero content.

Let me know those big stories Fox didn't cover.

Quote:
Yes financed by extremists like Bill Gates. Gates wants billionaires to pay higher taxes to pay down our deficits, while his charity work saves millions of little children from dying.

The documentaries I posted are full of high level TV executives, high level political leaders, and high ranking military officials.

Haliburton turned Cheney from a kinda rich man, into a very, very, very rich man. Do you honestly believe Cheney has no loyalty to Halliburton?
Financed by billionaires like George Soros and founded by Clinton political hack John Podesta.

The documentaries you posted are paranoid leftie fantasies.

You completely ignore the fact that the Clinton Administration started the no bid contracts with Kellogg Brown Root because they were the only qualified vendor, that Cheney wasn't at Halliburton during the Iraq war and that the Office of the Vice President didn't award the contracts in any case. But don't facts get in the way of a good paranoid leftie fantasy

Quote:
When GW Bush got elected the TV station CEO's were smiling and lighting up expensive cigars. GW Bush promised to give them $2.5 trillion dollars in tax cuts during his campaign.

But Clinton raised taxes on the CEO's, and greedy CEO's hated Clinton. Thats why when the Clinton lie broke the TV CEO's ordered their news trucks and reporters to camp outside the White House and pursue the story with a vengeance.
That is supposed to be some kind of joke right?

Let's look at the 2012 as a jumping off point. Barack Obama raised $715 million. Media was the 9th largest donor industry to Obama. Romney raised $446 million and media was not in the top 20 of Romney's donor industries. This idea that the media is Republican just because they are businesses is laughable.

As to who benefited the most from tax cuts is naturally those who pay the most. The funny thing is that you and the leftie CTJ act as if the people who got more money through less taxes were stealing it from the poor instead of being able to keep more of their own money.

A fairer look is what percent of the federal income tax do people pay, relative to their earnings.

For the last year available the top 1% earned 21% of the income, but paid 38% of all federal income taxes.

You can read the full data here NTU and be sure to compare Clinton & Bush years after the Bush tax cuts came in.

Quote:
How are they not credible or how do they lie? But you can't answer the question (Just because Rush Limbaugh SAYS something that does not make it true.)
How do they lie? They are partisan sources with no interest in the truth.

I have never used Rush Limbaugh as a source, but it would be about the same as sourcing DailyKos and ThinkProgress. That you do not know these are partisan sources is sad.

Quote:
The democrats tried to remove all the Bush tax cuts for the rich, and keep them for the middle class, but the republicans stopped them.

Obama also tried to raise tax rates for billionaire CEO's, and the republicans stopped him.

Republicans stop democrats with something called a "Filibuster."
How is removing taxes on one group, but not another fair? I thought Democrats were about fairness and equality? I guess not in the tax code?

The Republicans wanted to negotiate serious tax reforms. The Democrats, especially Obama, wanted to grandstand and score political points rather than be serious about governance.

I guess it worked with you.

Quote:
Being opposed to raising the min wage and being opposed to small business tax cuts, while you support tax cuts for the rich is freedom?
Raising the minimum wage costs low level workers their job. You can not mandate the wages of unskilled, entry level positions. The push to raise the minimum wage at the expense of low level workers is a cynical ploy by the unions. They couldn't care less about the minimum wage worker because they aren't union members, but when the minimum wage goes up there are a lot of union contract rates that bump up accordingly. It is the pinnacle of cynicism.

As to the small business bill. Harry Reid wouldn't allow any amendment to be proposed, it was his way or nothing so the Republicans blocked a bad bill.

Quote:
Republicans in this forum want to abolish the EPA and FDA (they make sure our water and food is safe.)
The EPA is out of control and going far beyond the mandate they have from Congress and the FDA is killing people. If they can not be reformed, they deserve to go away.

Quote:
Freedom, liberty, we want government out of our lives.
Soooooo...... you don't want freedom and liberty?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:53 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
All of our major news networks are "corporate propaganda", and there is no longer any real journalism on our major networks.

When was the last time you saw our major networks do investigative journalism on subjects like the following?

Our balanced budget being turned into deficits.
Our huge trade deficits with China.
Our money recently losing value and purchasing power.
Our president needing $900 million dollars in campaign funds to run for office.
All of our TV and radio stations being owned by the same group of large corporations.
Or the corporations owning our TV networks being the same corporations that give our politicians their campaign money.

As the following source shows if a mainstream reporter tries to do a news story about the subjects above, they are told to stop, and if they continue they are fired or moved to a news department writing classified ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTYmSe5xg2U

Our mainstream news networks are not news, they are groups pretending to be real news and they are ratings getting entertainment, or as experts call it "corporate propaganda."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_lYGyIaK80

I apologize if I was rude or you feel I spun the subject again (I did not intend to do either.) I just don't like speaking of our mainstream news networks as if they were real news, because they are not.

Have a good one Thecoalman,
Chad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies