Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:10 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Do you non-meat eaters use soap????

YES driller... vegetable based.. mommie and my D.I. taught me to wash my 'lil body every day!!!

Plastic?????? yes.. petroleum based.. do my best o recyle everything I can

Tires????
yes petroleum based.. I love my truck.. I want to make it as efficient as possible

I do my upmost not to wear leather products or support industries that animals kill for profit

Anything meat based can be done plant based,, from medicine research to clothes to food...

I am a conservative with a conscience

Because of human behavior I care less about many of them as opposed to some innocent animal

Ive been vegan most of my life in a profession not known for vegans.. I have many fellow co-workers ask me about it curious about protein.. thats easy.. and food combining makes it complete (with careful use of vegan based supplements)

Being a plant eater just makes good sense

healthier
more alive without several feet of putrefying meat in my intestine
less later life heath problems
Way better for the planet.. and way more sustainable

Most of the meat food supply is tainted

Read Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine

Lots of great studies and literature

PCRM: Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine

Im powered by the magic bean!!!!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:26 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times
I happen to like meat and even crave it at times. If the manner of how the meat is raised and processes bothers you, the key seems to be to get your meat sourced where you know it was grown in a clean, responsibly maintained environment. I don't know why I'd become a vegetarian when I do have other options.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:41 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times
I second the advice to buy your meat (and eggs, and dairy) from local farmers, but go a step further and visit their farm to see how their animals are treated. You might also want to find out how and where their animals are slaughtered.

I believe that the most humane thing a person can do (apart from actually abstaining from meat) is to hunt for their meat, and make a quick kill when doing so. Ecologically, it makes far more sense to hunt deer than to eat beef, pork or chicken.

I don't eat meat but if I was ever forced to (meat-eaters love asking these hypothetical questions), I would eat venison before anything else.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,700,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Did you know that if everyone on earth became a vegetarian there would be enough food to feed every single man, woman, and child, every person on earth and nobody would ever starve? Did you know that much of our food that could be given directly to people is used instead to feed farm animals? One book that convinced me was Diet For A New America by John Robbins.

from a time.com news article:

How To Feed The World By Going Veggie | TIME.com

"A simultaneous problem is that meat production is also incredibly energy inefficient. We feed far more calories to cattle in the form of grain than we consume from their flesh. In a world where hundreds of millions of people go hungry, we snatch food from the mouths of starving babies and feed it to plump beasts."
While you are entitled to your opinion, the entire world is not ever going to be vegetarian. It's just not going to happen. "Snatching food from mouths of starving babies and feeding it to plump beasts" just wreaks of a whacko off his rocker. Sorry, that just sounds stupid.

A good way to initiate intelligent conversation between the sides, and to change the opinions of others (which most of the vegans/vegetarians I know try to do), is not posting videos and articles of animal torture and writing excerpts about how we're taking food from the hungry and feeding it to animals is a silly and unnecessary way of making your point. All you're doing is encouraging further agreement among people who already agree with you and making the rest of the population roll their eyes at you because you sound so crazy! Articles that rant and rave about how awful humans are for eating animals don't do anything to make me believe otherwise - except that you love to shove the fact that I eat meat in my face. Articles that intelligently discuss the reasons why vegetarianism/veganism are healthier lifestyles catch - and KEEP - my attention much more effectively.

I know plenty of non-meat-eating people, but one thing I don't stand for is unintelligent conversation where an attempt is made for me to feel guilty of the choices I make. Convince me without showing me pictures of dead animals - I've seen it (hundreds of times) - and I get it.

Last edited by NickMan7; 03-30-2015 at 01:32 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 01:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Did you know that if everyone on earth became a vegetarian there would be enough food to feed every single man, woman, and child, every person on earth and nobody would ever starve? Did you know that much of our food that could be given directly to people is used instead to feed farm animals? One book that convinced me was Diet For A New America by John Robbins.

from a time.com news article:

How To Feed The World By Going Veggie | TIME.com

"A simultaneous problem is that meat production is also incredibly energy inefficient. We feed far more calories to cattle in the form of grain than we consume from their flesh. In a world where hundreds of millions of people go hungry, we snatch food from the mouths of starving babies and feed it to plump beasts."
Will you stop washing your hair???

Doing dishes???

Washing your clothes???

Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
This happened with Wegmans about 8 years ago, and they weren't even killing the chickens--activists filmed cruel conditions on their egg farm and repeatedly showed it on TV.

The publicity got so bad, Wegmans closed the facility.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 PM

13 Surprising Things That Contain Animal Products - Business Insider

There are hundreds of thousands of things made from animal parts.....this is a short list.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:10 PM

Our main meat is venison....we also eat walleye.

We do buy chicken, ham and turkey.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,958,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Meat is murder.. go vegan...

and for all the right reasons

Better health
Better planet
Better bellies
Not to mention you can have all your teeth pulled, sport the new pasty look or faux tanned look (your choice).

I have yet to see a healthy appearing vegan. Sorry, but humans are omnivores and your teeth, if one still has them are proof.

The new look, the skin color of elmers glue.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I second the advice to buy your meat (and eggs, and dairy) from local farmers, but go a step further and visit their farm to see how their animals are treated. You might also want to find out how and where their animals are slaughtered.

I believe that the most humane thing a person can do (apart from actually abstaining from meat) is to hunt for their meat, and make a quick kill when doing so. Ecologically, it makes far more sense to hunt deer than to eat beef, pork or chicken.

I don't eat meat but if I was ever forced to (meat-eaters love asking these hypothetical questions), I would eat venison before anything else.
We kill about six deer a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies