Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 01:08 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,380,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The best way to overthrow Iran is internally. Support those within the country who are wanting to overthrow their government.
That would be a disaster. Any government with the taint of being put into office by any Western nation would be illegitimate even if that help is no more than arms and money.

Iran is a mullahtocracy, and that's all there is to it. Only the Iranians can get rid of it, and they'll do so in their own way and time when THEY feel like it...if they ever do it at all. You can overthrow all of the elected officials that you want. You can't overthrow the Mullahs.

We need to stay out of Iran's internal issues. It's none of our business.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:09 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,563,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Someone, PLEASE just turn the whole region into glass and let's be done with it. I'm 60 freaking years old and these ++++++ have been fighting and causing trouble for the whole world since before I was born. Let 'em all kill each other, then let's go suck the oil out! Grrrr!
I wouldn't say they're causing trouble for the whole world, but I have no problem leaving them alone to destroy each other.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:16 AM

847 posts, read 770,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker
The best way to overthrow Iran is internally. Support those within the country who are wanting to overthrow their government.
What Makes you think a fully democratic Iran or for that matter a dictatorial secular Iran (think Egypt)
would have a different strategic policy in the region.

The Shah was very much aligned with the west in most respects. but even his government tried to dominate the MidEast (He called himself the sherrif of the region).

What Makes you think a Jeffersonian democratic Iran very much like Today's Turkey is gone go like hmm.
you know I am Ok with Accepting the western notion that one of the smallest country's in the region (Namely Israel) should have the largest say in how this neighborhood is runs.

The reality is sometime we have to examine our position and see why the hell are we trying to jam things down the throats of people 10,000 KM away.

by the way For 33 years officially the U.S policy was regime change in Iran. the U.S, Saudis, Saddam, Soviets, EU. Funded various groups they liked within Iran. but in the end things in any country happens organically.

and in the case of Iran a lot has happened. Iran is probably the only country in the region other than Turkey that has a parliament that has debates in it over various issues subsides, national security, They have city councils, ... Iran had a woman has their health minister for three years. Iran has large civil society.
now is there various mechanisms to intimidate the little people by the big and powerful. absolutely yes.
are the elections Switzerland style elections. No.

but if we getting involved some place was gone get better we would seen at least a semi-democratic Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, Bahrain, UAE,....

Last edited by ericsami; 04-06-2015 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: added a note

Old 04-06-2015, 01:21 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,964,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
What Makes you think a fully democratic Iran or for that matter a dictatorial secular Iran (think Egypt)
would have a different strategic policy in the region.

The Shah was very much aligned with the west in most respects. but even his government tried to dominate the MidEast (He called himself the sherrif of the region).

What Makes you think a Jeffersonian democratic Iran very much like Today's Turkey is gone go like hmm.
you know I am Ok with Accepting the western notion that one of the smallest country's in the region (Namely Israel) should have the largest say in how this neighborhood is runs.

The reality is sometime we have to examine our position and see why the hell are we trying to jam things down the throats of people 10,000 KM away.
Where did I say anything about a democratic Iran? Where did I say anything about there being a complete reversal in the policy of Iran? What I am saying is that before you go trying to invade Tehran with US troops, I would rather see an internal faction overthrow the current regime. It's been a long time since anyone has tried to stuff that many words in my mouth.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:25 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,380,123 times
Quote:
Where did I say anything about a democratic Iran? Where did I say anything about there being a complete reversal in the policy of Iran? What I am saying is that before you go trying to invade Tehran with US troops, I would rather see an internal faction overthrow the current regime. It's been a long time since anyone has tried to stuff that many words in my mouth.
Overthrow the current regime and get what? What comes next? Who comes next? You have no idea.

You folks need to be more careful what you wish for. What's in Iran right now might be as good as it gets.

We got rid of Saddam Hussein. Do i need to say more.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:30 AM

Man I am getting tired of people on here taking me out of context and also putting words in my mouth

Old 04-06-2015, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Man I am getting tired of people on here taking me out of context and also putting words in my mouth
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll post my interest in wanting a sensible presidential candidate from the GOP, but because I believe in equality I'm branded as a leftist. And since I'm an atheist, that means I'm a commie, even though I would vote for Jeb Bush before Hillary Clinton. The political climate has become quite odd, and it's not particular to this forum.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll post my interest in wanting a sensible presidential candidate from the GOP, but because I believe in equality I'm branded as a leftist. And since I'm an atheist, that means I'm a commie, even though I would vote for Jeb Bush before Hillary Clinton. The political climate has become quite odd, and it's not particular to this forum.
I always knew you were a communist..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
I always knew you were a communist..
Yeah, but I also have a part-time job being a Nazi.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:16 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,926,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Israelis don't have the capabilities. If they could've, they would've already.

Iran is too far away, and without U.S. assistance (which they won't get and SHOULDN'T get BTW), it's just not doable.
This is true. The only Countries capable of taking out Iran Nuke facilities are the US, GB, Russia and possibly China That would be 4 of the P5 in the P5 plus 1 negotiating group. It would be downright RWNJ of people to not allow them to try to come to a resolution to the problem. Whether or not a viable deal is reached, we don't know yet. If one is reached, we don't know if Iran will adhere to it. We do know if a deal is reached Iran may not wind up with bomb capability. If a deal is not reached, we know Iran will windup with bomb capability and hence War. Seems to be a simple choice in my mind. Besides, Iran would never agree to a deal Netanyahu liked, so maybe Bibi is playing "bad guy" in the "good guy/bad guy" ploy.

Last edited by florida.bob; 04-06-2015 at 05:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies