Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree that "Black racists don't matter"?
No, I don't agree 50 86.21%
Yes, I agree 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:47 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times

Advertisements

In a thread earlier today someone posted the following statements.

//www.city-data.com/forum/39124557-post21.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Why? Black millenials being "racist" is irrelevant. They don't have wealth or political power. We've been over this before. Black racists don't matter.

No, it doesn't. Most white people don't have sufficient experiences among blacks to form an actual "observation." Their observations come from parent conditioning, growing up in sheltered, segregated neighborhoods, and negative stereotypes about blacks fed in the media. I can't tell you how many white people I met in college who I was one of the first black men they met personally and had a real conversation with.
Do you agree with this statement? Do you believe that "black racists don't matter?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:50 AM

428 posts, read 344,488 times
I'm hung up on what the word 'matter' means in this context.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:02 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
I'm hung up on what the word 'matter' means in this context.
Check the original post out, I linked it.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
In a thread earlier today someone posted the following statements.

//www.city-data.com/forum/39124557-post21.html

Do you agree with this statement? Do you believe that "black racists don't matter?"

It's a fairly new phenomena to equate "racism" with "power."

However, nowhere is the definition of "racism" in anyway dependent on its relationship with power. Only in self-perpetuating academic circles.

All racism matters, if you actually do care about racism.

If you don't actually care about ending racism or having a more civil society, and instead only care about power dynamics, then I guess "black racism doesn't matter."

Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
All racists don't matter.

...I have long grown comfortable with the fact that people in general are bigots, and it's pointless to worry about what they think.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:26 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If you don't actually care about ending racism or having a more civil society, and instead only care about power dynamics, then I guess "black racism doesn't matter."
that's really the key right there. and exactly why the poster quoted insists that it doesn't matter

Old 04-07-2015, 12:30 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's a fairly new phenomena to equate "racism" with "power."

However, nowhere is the definition of "racism" in anyway dependent on its relationship with power. Only in self-perpetuating academic circles.

All racism matters, if you actually do care about racism.

"It's a fairly new phenomena to equate "racism" with "power."

"However, nowhere is the definition of "racism" in anyway dependent on its relationship with power. Only in self-perpetuating academic circles."

I'll stick with the dictionary's definition. Those supporting the above definition are apparently too lazy to come up with their own terminology.

Racism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
1) a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
To answer that you would need to be able to agree on who the racists are? Some think Al Sharpton is a racist, if so, he matters in that he is able to wield power to damage people or get large sums of money. Some think Eric Holder is racist, and if so, as a top law enforcment person in the country, he certainly matters. Others would say neither of them are racists and then you have no discussion about whether they matter as racists. Does one racist on the street matter? Maybe not in the large scheme of things, but he certainly matters to the person he assaults due to skin color. To have such a conversation, there has to be common parameters around racism and what it means to matter and those are both never-ending discussions.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
I would use the term benign vs malignant racism. I think black “racism” is benign in impact upon the white population as a collective. On the other hand, white racism is a malignancy to the black collective economically and psychologically, if not physically. If you look at the condition of blacks the world over, we are just not in a position to be a danger to the white population. On the other hand, the white population and culture has been and is an existential threat to not only the black population, but itself, through biological warfare, nuclear warfare in addition to a long histories of theories concerning world over population, eugenics and a belief that blond hair blue eyed people are some sort of master race.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:51 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I would use the term benign vs malignant racism. I think black “racism” is benign in impact upon the white population as a collective. On the other hand, white racism is a malignancy to the black collective economically and psychologically, if not physically.
Then almost all racism is "benign" because it's not legally institutionalized anymore. I fail to see how a low-class white racist from Chitlin' Switch county Georgia has any power over me whatsoever.

Too much time is wasted running after "racists". I ask people all the time, "why do you value their opinion?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies