Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree that "Black racists don't matter"?
No, I don't agree 50 86.21%
Yes, I agree 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:52 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times

Advertisements

In the context it's being used, that's more or less true if you think racism is only a problem when the law upholds it. As in, Jim Crowe laws. That was a problem because the white supremacists had influence. But would I say the white racists don't matter after Jim Crowe laws were abolished? No. They still matter, just in a different way. As do black racists.

Morgan Freeman, a man who lived through Jim Crowe, has some of the most enlightening views on racism. I know many people are going to be skeptical of the 'Hollywood liberal,' but truthfully, his views seem about right.

He has two main points (that I know of) regarding racism:

The first thing is to stop celebrating race. He finds the concept of Black History month "ridiculous." He believes you can't restrict a race of people's history, a diverse group of people, so a single month and to do so is pointless either way. His exact phrase when finishing off this point was: "I'm gonna stop calling you a white man; and I ask that you stop calling me a black man." When race is viewed for what it is, nothing but an aesthetic description, racism ceases to be an issue.

His other point is the duality of racism. Too often, people look at racism as 'big guy vs little guy.' That's not the case. It's true in cases of government sanctioned racism, but racism is bigger than that. When describing his hometown (in Tennessee I believe), he noted how segregated it was. Not for the young kids. The black and white kindergarteners played together and never thought of thing of it. But they were taught to be weary of the other races as they grew up, so by high school, they had a black prom and a white prom. But it wasn't necessarily the students who wanted that; it was the parents. And Morgan really emphasizes how he said that: it as the parents. Not the white parents. Not the black parents. That parents. Both sides wanted this. Morgan basically says that if racism is going to cease to exist, then white people need to admit the mistakes of the past and black people need to forgive them; they need to accept each other not for their race, but as people.

So, while in the context of the quote, there may be a valid point, I do not believe that black racists don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:52 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Oops. I accidentally hit Yes.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
I've despised racism since I was a child, and I don't care what color the racist is.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:54 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
If it matters with anyone, it matters with everyone.

And anyone who believes there are different standards of racism for people depending on what their skin color is, is clearly a racist, regardless of the spin job explanation that they follow up with to try to explain away their racism.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:55 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's okay. If we don't spoil at least one unit of product at work, QA thinks we're not looking for defects.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:04 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
HAHA! I love that the only 'yes' was actually a mistake. That's awesome. I'm proud of this forum for this.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:04 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
That's okay. If we don't spoil at least one unit of product at work, QA thinks we're not looking for defects.
Bahahahaha! Job security, man.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I would use the term benign vs malignant racism. I think black “racism” is benign in impact upon the white population as a collective. On the other hand, white racism is a malignancy to the black collective economically and psychologically, if not physically. If you look at the condition of blacks the world over, we are just not in a position to be a danger to the white population. On the other hand, the white population and culture has been and is an existential threat to not only the black population, but itself, through biological warfare, nuclear warfare in addition to a long histories of theories concerning world over population, eugenics and a belief that blond hair blue eyed people are some sort of master race.

This nonsense again?

You need a new schtick, man. Along with history lessons and a newspaper. I know you think this argument is clever, but it's not. (Especially if you think "white people" are the only ones with nuclear and biological weapons, or the only ones who have started wars this century or last).

White people and east Asians have also figured out how to be rich and happy with less people necessary, so "overpopulation" is only a problem for those areas of the world that have to send its people abroad because they haven't figured out how to care for their own yet.

PS: The 'black collective' does not get brownie points for having not having recently used power or force, like every other European or Asian population that has come into power.

African people had no problem wielding it in the past, when they could. African peoples had no problem enslaving white Europeans for labor and as sex slaves, and for colonizing Europe for hundreds of years.
Granted, sub-Saharans have pretty much been MIA up until contact with the Arabs (who originally started the trans-African slave trade) and Europeans (second).... and most of the empire building and invention came from NE Africa, but we know how you Pan-Africanists and black nationalists like to culturally appropriate those cultures as self-emplowerment. So, guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:17 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Then almost all racism is "benign" because it's not legally institutionalized anymore. I fail to see how a low-class white racist from Chitlin' Switch county Georgia has any power over me whatsoever.

Too much time is wasted running after "racists". I ask people all the time, "why do you value their opinion?"
I think that is the myth. People would have you believe that racism is isolated among the poor and disenfranchised white population. That is not true.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:21 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think that is the myth. People would have you believe that racism is isolated among the poor and disenfranchised white population. That is not true.
Doesn't matter either way.

Rich racist white people don't have any power over me.

...why should I care about what they think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies