Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 06:32 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

This case is getting more interesting and less black and white( pun intended) every day. We've gotten some new information against the officer. I'm still waiting to see what he dropped, maybe it was the taser, maybe something else. I'm also thinking that the police department is going to be ripped to pieces over this. If the cop did have a charge against him and it was white washed, the police chief is now on the chopping block. I still don't see enough to think Scott was targeted because he was black, that will be very hard to prove. But who knows, the cop will be under intense scrutiny. Its more of an indictment against over aggressive police use of force than anything.
But Scott has also come under increasing criticism for his actions. He was an idiot. He ran from the police after a traffic stop and that was just stupid. He's in a car with no insurance and one he says he doesn't own and he knows he was outstanding warrants out on him for failure to pay child support. A kid of 17 might run, they might not know any better. No impulse control. But the guy was 50, he had no excuse. So he precipitated his being considered a likely felon in being possibly a car thief or a wanted criminal. That's no excuse to be shot in the back multiple times( at least once), but certainly he could have had a nightstick or tazer applied to him and would have brought it on himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
This case is getting more interesting and less black and white( pun intended) every day. We've gotten some new information against the officer. I'm still waiting to see what he dropped, maybe it was the taser, maybe something else. I'm also thinking that the police department is going to be ripped to pieces over this. If the cop did have a charge against him and it was white washed, the police chief is now on the chopping block. I still don't see enough to think Scott was targeted because he was black, that will be very hard to prove. But who knows, the cop will be under intense scrutiny. Its more of an indictment against over aggressive police use of force than anything.
But Scott has also come under increasing criticism for his actions. He was an idiot. He ran from the police after a traffic stop and that was just stupid. He's in a car with no insurance and one he says he doesn't own and he knows he was outstanding warrants out on him for failure to pay child support. A kid of 17 might run, they might not know any better. No impulse control. But the guy was 50, he had no excuse. So he precipitated his being considered a likely felon in being possibly a car thief or a wanted criminal. That's no excuse to be shot in the back multiple times( at least once), but certainly he could have had a nightstick or tazer applied to him and would have brought it on himself.
There were no warrants out for him it was announced today. The cop would have cited him for no insurance and he would have been on his way. He may not have known that. And, let's not blame the victim here. You are sounding like one of those people who say rape victims are at fault because of the way they were dressed or the woman beaten by her husband was asking for it. This was murder.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:41 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
Blacks have nothing but contempt for the police and they show it at every opportunity. The police don't like dealing with them ad neither do business owners. The hostile attitude and disrespect blacks show everyone creates the very conditions they complain about.

When a cop pulls you over, you keep both hands on the wheel, and only respond with "yes sir", and "no sir."

Because of the bad behaviour of so many blacks, you're already at a disadvantage. They EXPECT you to fight and argue. Go the extra mile and show the cop you're not like the 100 others they pulled over. Treat them with respect and maybe you'll get respect.
Seriously. Them damn *iggers.

But seriously seriously, can we not have this be a "Black people deserve to be shot down in the streets" thread? Keep it on storm front people.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Then quit wondering why the quality of cop keeps declining. How many people who would make great cops are choosing something else because of the element they have to deal with?
Where did I say that I was wondering about ANYTHING?

I don't even think about cops.

The element they have to deal with?

Ummmmm....they're COPS genius. They intentionally take the job in order to deal with bad guys.

SMH...Damn dude. Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:24 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
The blue wall was around when I started.. it has long since evolved and dissolved... Im telling you firsthand.. again.. this might not fit your agenda... everyone I work with is a professional to the man and woman.. those that aren't get weeded out pretty quickly or if they stay around... leave patrol...I've hooked up other police twice in my career,, one was a crook and it felt so sweet and made me feel so good to this day Im proud I got to do it... the other was stupid and it was DUI.. but it was my job and I hate them so it still felt ok...
Very well said. Stories like this do not reflect the fact that most cops perform their duties ethically and legally. The work to protect and serve the public, and they do a fine job of it. You always see news stories about crooked cops, and very seldom see stories about cops who are just doing their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Latest news reports that the deceased was a fugitive from justice (outstanding warrants).
. . .
If the officer had not embellished his tale, the shooting may have been justified.
*(Fugitives from justice are an excepted class, armed or not.)
. . .
I suspect that he will be found innocent of the murder charge, but may be nailed on perjury or filing a false report.
Probably will plead out to a lesser charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There were no warrants out for him it was announced today.
CNN reported today that an arrest warrant had indeed been issued for Scott, due to owing over $18,000 in child support. If Scott knew that the warrant had been issued, this might explain why he decided to run. He probably knew that the officer would quickly learn about the warrant, and they he was therefore just a few minutes away from being arrested.

Warrant or no warrant, the shooting is not justified. Not even a little bit.

Please cite a federal or SC State law that shows "Fugitives from justice are an excepted class, armed or not." I think this generally applies to individuals who have escaped from a jail or prison. However, I seriously doubt that it applies to individuals who have outstanding warrants, and who have not escaped from a penal institution. As it is, there is no evidence thus far that Mr. Scott has ever seen the inside of a jail, and/or that he had any intent to harm anyone.

Last edited by ToucheGA; 04-10-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 12:46 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
The CNN Article I mentioned makes an interesting point:

Quote:
Defense attorneys will say this was a heat of passion shooting -- (that) this was something that he did suddenly after some kind of an altercation, a physical altercation with a suspect," Callan said. "And that would constitute manslaughter under law, as opposed to murder, and it makes a huge difference in sentencing.

In South Carolina, a murder conviction requires "malice aforethought," Callan said. Some other states say a murder requires premeditation.
If the prosecution cannot prove that the officer had "malice aforethought," and that he simply made an impulsive (albeit incredibly stupid) decision to shoot Scott, "in the heat of the moment", a conviction for murder might not be possible.

in SC, "malice aforethought" is defined as:
Quote:
...the requisite mental state for common-law murder” and it utilizes four possible mental states to encompass both specific and general intent to commit the crime. Black’s Law Dictionary 969 (7th ed. 1999). These four possibilities are intent to kill, intent to inflict grievous bodily harm, extremely reckless indifference to the value of human life (abandoned and malignant heart), and intent to commit a felony (felony murder rule).[3] Id. “General intent” is defined as “the state of mind required for the commission of certain common law crimes not requiring specific intent” and it “usually takes the form of recklessness . . . or negligence.” Black’s Law Dictionary 813 (7th ed. 1999).
I think this is going to be an interesting trial.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:56 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
The CNN Article I mentioned makes an interesting point:

If the prosecution cannot prove that the officer had "malice aforethought," and that he simply made an impulsive (albeit incredibly stupid) decision to shoot Scott, "in the heat of the moment", a conviction for murder might not be possible.

in SC, "malice aforethought" is defined as:

I think this is going to be an interesting trial.
Guilty of manslaughter is a more likely verdict.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us...eath.html?_r=0

Obviously this is another example of a cop fearing for his life. Who knows, the guy could have kicked up some stone, while running away, that could have struck and killed the officer.

I will give it to SC though....when they do these things the officers get arrested.
Why is it that people don't just listen. Why do they keep resisting arrest. I'm not saying the cop is right but just imagine if the guy would have listened and didn't run. They may both be going home tonight.

Another note is the guy was driving a Mercedes. They said the guy said he was buying it.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:23 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Is anyone out there perfect?

I wonder why anyone would want to be a cop especially today. People seem to think that if they are doing something illegal, they shouldn't be confronted, if you confront them, arrest them it's NOT because of illegal activity but to harass them because they are black. If I was doing something illegal, I would know that going in and know that being caught isn't harassment, it just means I got caught. It's simple really.

Cops deal with the worst of the worst and situations I would run from. They don't know if you are one of the worst. Training is preparation but emotions can take over and people make the worst decisions when hyped up and emotional.

If you are pulled over, hands on the wheel until you are instructed to get your license. It's not a place to argue your case, you answer questions if asked, you don't talk until asked. By arguing, having attitude, getting obnoxious you will only make it worse.

Last edited by petch751; 04-10-2015 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 01:33 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Is anyone out there perfect?

I why anyone would want to be a cop especially in today. People seem to think that if they are doing something illegal, they shouldn't be confronted, if you confront them, arrest them it's NOT because of illegal activity but to harass them because they are black. If I was doing something illegal, I would know that going in and know that being caught isn't harassment, it just means I got caught. It's simple really.

Cops deal with the worst of the worst and situations I would run from. They don't know if you are one of the worst. Training is preparation but emotions can take over and people make the worst decisions when hyped up and emotional.

If you are pulled over, hands on the wheel until you are instructed to get your license. It's not a place to argue your case, you answer questions if asked, you don't talk until asked. By arguing, having attitude, getting obnoxious you will only make it worse.
Well....people certainly expect blacks to be PERFECT when it comes to claims to racism. We have no margin of error to get it wrong before people like you use the fact that we got it wrong before to discredit any future claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies