Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Ah yes, every right winger on city data is a business owner.
Very strange post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
Also, if this bookstore can't pay it's employees a livable wage, they shouldn't be open in the first place.
Why is that? Is that something you decided for all of us?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Very strange post.
Not really, just an observation, it always seems like a right winger on here owns their own business whenever things like minimum wage is mentioned.....or did I misunderstand your post when I thought you said you didn't have a boss and will never have one?

Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Funny how it's selfish to want to keep your own money and generous to spend someone elses - you must be a liberal.

No it doesn't matter, if the workers can't feed themselves on that job then they need to get another one. It isn't my responsibility to pay YOUR bills. Why do you suppose that most business pay more than minimum wage? Because most jobs require more skills than your average teenager. Why do you think computer programmers make $50 / hour and not minimum wage? Because there are a limited number of people capable of doing the job and the job brings in more than that in value to the business. The person needing to feed/house/cloth themselves has little or nothing to do with it.

Of course businesses want to pay as little as possible, just like workers want to make as much as they can for doing as little as they can the problem is some of you think you're worth more than you are.
Sorry businesses are part of society and society has decided people should be paid a decent wage and become a third world country. So how many higher paying jobs are there certainly not enough for everyone to have one someone has to do those jobs. You like Right Wingers do not care about anyone but yourselfs and could care less if people die of hunger you just defend businesses to be greedy. What excatly is their worth?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
One has to look at the cost of living in SF to know what a liveable wage is there.
ok, but what is a liveable wage in san francisco, is an excessive wage in say santa fe, new mexico, or stanley, va. this is why a one size fits all minimum wage does not work, and why the federal government needs to stop with the minimum wage laws period. leave it up to the states.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Someday you may understand the difference between a home and a business.....

Every occupied rental property is somebody's home, so why should it be taxed at 4x the rate of an owner-occupied home?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:43 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
As I have said on other such threads, I am for raising the minimum wage. Perhaps doubling would not be prudent, but a raise nevertheless. It is a shame that the MW has not been pegged to the cost of living or some other index over the decades.

I entered the workforce in 1971, earning $1.60 per hour. It doesn't sound like much, but after all gas was 25 cents a gallon, a regular McDonalds hamburger was 10 cents (I think 25 cents for the Big Mac), and I recall, with $2.00, being able to purchase a six-pack of beer, a pack of cigarettes, and have some left over for peanuts.

True, I was not expected to provide for a family on such a wage: it is, after all, an entry level wage. Yet the purchasing power was simply much greater back then. Bringing home around $240 per month (after taxes), was enough for a single person to live on (with apartments being around $100 per month, as I recall, or even less in some locations).

Anyway, over the decades, anytime the MW was being raised, the same tired argument was trotted out: it would cause a rise in unemployment.

I have lived through periods of inflation and recession, of periods in which unemployment spiked, but I never recall hearing economists claiming that the rise was "Because we are paying burger flippers too much money".

Old 04-23-2015, 06:35 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Every occupied rental property is somebody's home, so why should it be taxed at 4x the rate of an owner-occupied home?
It is not the owner's home, it is the owner's business. While the renter lives there, the arrangement is a business arrangement.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,209,554 times
Overall the topic brings out many issues. Including the fact that since NAFTA about 60k factories have closed in the US. This has created what some call a service based economy. With the closed factories and the loss of the better wage jobs,for the economic system to run well, you must understand that service jobs are now where the middle is.

Based on the new middle, wages need to be raised, the market at this time will not do it alone. Profit is being spread out among the top 1% of employers in each Corp. and to their stock holders through buybacks.

If the TPP is put in place, a lot of you on this board will be looking for those service sector jobs. Why would someone get paid to post on a board like this when you can go to VN and pay "Paul" to do the same job for pennies.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 AM

671 posts, read 890,164 times
Minimum wage is a good deal for those who aren't worth the pay. For those who are willing to compete in the job market one must have skills to fit the demand..Some people acquire them and some people don't....We make our own future.... Problem is some folks want things handed to them, some people go out and get them...
Simple as that. The need for skills increase and the need for unskilled labor is shrinking and will continue to do so..
In short,,raising minimum wages is nothing short of working welfare sponsored by government. I'm not against welfare itself but this is bastardizing what welfare is suppose to provide, with that being a bridge gap,a hand over a rough road and a hand for those who can not provide for themselves.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies