Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Supreme Court rule that gay and lesbian couples have a right to legally wed?
SCOTUS will rule AGAINST legalizing same sex marriage 38 18.91%
SCOTUS will rule FOR legalizing same sex marriage 163 81.09%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 03:22 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I find it pretty obnoxious when people use these very isolated and short-lived incidences over the last several thousand years(and none being in Christian countries) as some sort of basis for a general acceptance of the practice. It simply isn't true.
You took that out of context, I didn't present the statement as a basis for anything. I was merely replying to a poster who said it is a fact that no nation in the history of humankind legally recognized homosexual marriage prior to 2001. S/he didn't confine that sweeping mis-generalization to Christian countries.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
One would hope that it passes Unanimously. That would send the best message.

But that's a pipe dream.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:41 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
IMO, the Supreme Court should sanction civil unions for them which includes the above rights but it should be a different status than a traditional marriage.
Back of the bus, separate by equal. Gothcha.

The SC can't just wave a magic wand and sanction civil unions. They can only respond to the two questions being asked of them.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:08 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Back of the bus, separate by equal. Gothcha.

The SC can't just wave a magic wand and sanction civil unions. They can only respond to the two questions being asked of them.

Here are my questions. Is marriage a "right" or is it a privilege? Aren't rights supposed to be "inalienable"? And, does the equal-protection clause, which is part of the 14th amendment, ratified all the way back in 1868, guarantee a right/privilege for same-sex marriage? Why?

Old 04-29-2015, 04:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. There has always been a tie to whatever "belief" that particular culture established whether identified as a religion or something else and to my knowledge has always been between a man and woman. Even the multi-wife marriages of both Middle East and a few scattered cultures over the centuries were always "between man and woman." The history I have studied have always explained multi-wife situations as being based on continuing of birth rate in order to not die out. Back in history the death rate of babies was extremely high.

I repeat that I do not believe government should be involved...especially at the Supreme Court area of Constitutionality. This has nothing to do with our Constitution's description of equal rights. I believe that is a ridiculous position and blame all the $-hungry lawyers/attorneys that have screwed up most of our laws by their garbage interference with "plain-spoken English" which is the language of our fantastic U.S. Constitution. Government offices issue marriage licenses only to raise money...IMHO to spend foolishly.

If other than a man and woman wish to live together, the call it Civil Union or whatever...it is IMHO not a marriage.
*ALL* legal marriages in the US are civil unions, and always have been. We know this because it is the government that issues the marriage certificate.

The church part has always been optional.

This effort to distinguish semantically is pretty silly. Civil union and marriage have both always referred to the same legal entity.

If you personally want to make that distinction, no one will stop you, but it is a distinction without a legal difference.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What? They are bound by what is popular? Um no, they are bound by the Constitution.
Read it again. I said they are *not* bound by what is popular.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:24 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Here are my questions. Is marriage a "right" or is it a privilege? Aren't rights supposed to be "inalienable"? And, does the equal-protection clause, which is part of the 14th amendment, ratified all the way back in 1868, guarantee a right/privilege for same-sex marriage? Why?
Marriage is a "fundamental right" according to several supreme court decisions.

The supreme court has found that the 14th EPC applies to marriage in Loving V Virginia. If the EPC applies to marriage ans race why would it no apply to marriage and sex? Looking at the questions before the court "Does the Fourteenth Amendment require a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex?" it would appear that they could rule based on sex not sexual orientation.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:27 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Who cares what people thought back in 1868? I think we've evolved a bit since then.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:33 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,837,811 times
Step 1. Churches that don’t recognize gay “marriage” lose their tax exempt staus.

Step 2. The government fines out of existence and closes these churches because they are “just another business” and “discriminating” against gays by not holding gay “wedding” ceremonies is reason enough to close down these “businesses” (churches).

Step 3: Churches that don't recognize sodomite "marriage" are officially identified as "hate groups" by the DoJ.

Step 4: Congregates of those churches are summarily fired from federal civil service and administratively discharged from the military (active membership in a hate group is incompatible with federal service).

Step 5: The administration publishes a rule demanding that government contractors do not employ members of "hate groups." They are then fired from all companies with government contracts or subcontracts.

Next comes banning the Bible as “hate speech”, then monitoring church sermons and arrest and jail for any Pastors who dare preach against homosexuality. It’s already happened in countries where gay marriage is recognized.

Did I miss anything?

Old 04-29-2015, 04:55 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Step 1. Churches that don’t recognize gay “marriage” lose their tax exempt staus.

Step 2. The government fines out of existence and closes these churches because they are “just another business” and “discriminating” against gays by not holding gay “wedding” ceremonies is reason enough to close down these “businesses” (churches).

Step 3: Churches that don't recognize sodomite "marriage" are officially identified as "hate groups" by the DoJ.

Step 4: Congregates of those churches are summarily fired from federal civil service and administratively discharged from the military (active membership in a hate group is incompatible with federal service).

Step 5: The administration publishes a rule demanding that government contractors do not employ members of "hate groups." They are then fired from all companies with government contracts or subcontracts.

Next comes banning the Bible as “hate speech”, then monitoring church sermons and arrest and jail for any Pastors who dare preach against homosexuality. It’s already happened in countries where gay marriage is recognized.

Did I miss anything?
Reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies