Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Supreme Court rule that gay and lesbian couples have a right to legally wed?
SCOTUS will rule AGAINST legalizing same sex marriage 38 18.91%
SCOTUS will rule FOR legalizing same sex marriage 163 81.09%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Eleven states have enacted laws or passed popular referendums to legalize same-sex marriage.

I think Kennedy has to contradict himself in order to support same-sex marriage.
Exactly Kennedy would have to repudiate what he wrote in Windsor. Also wouldn't be surprised if Sotomayor has some qualms about legalizing it we'll see.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Lightbulb How Will The Supreme Court Rule On Same Sex Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In just a little over one week the US Supreme Court will be hearing legal arguments concerning whether or not gay and lesbian couples have a constitutional right to get married. The court will announce their ruling in June.

Currently, same sex marriage is legal in 37 states and the District of Columbia. The first state to legalize it was Massachusetts, in 2004. Most - indeed nearly 95% - of the lower court rulings have gone in favor of gay marriage.

What do you think?

I think that after the court affirms same sex marriage the "religious right" will be apoplectic.

I anticipate some very entertaining childish displays from these self-proclaimed chsristians. I'll be especially eager to hear "I want my country back!"

Old 04-20-2015, 05:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
Seems along with legalizing this stuff its also making the homosexual terrorists think they can force anyone to abide by their way of doing things....SC is better off nipping this in the bud ASAP because legalizing this would only cause more problems....
Yes, the harassment of business owners is a disturbing trend, and I hope the SC considers that in their decision making. Clearly LGBT community has zero tolerance for anyone who is not 100% supporter of the their agenda. The business owners religious rights must be protected.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:53 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I wish it were that simple but quite frankly, it's not. While philisophically you're right, in practice your premise is flawed. There are plenty of Constitutional Rights the government can and does require a license for. In a few places in this country, you have to get a license to own a firearm, which is a Constitutional Right. In many more, you have to get a license to carry that firearm, which is arguably a Constitutional Right. In a lot of places, you have to get a permit to publicly assemble and speak, which is a Constitutional Right.

Just because you have to obtain a license does not mean it's not a Right.
You do not seem to understand what a "right" is. We have a "right" to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It has become fashionable as of late to characterize seemingly everything under the sun as a "right". But that just cheapens the very concept of what a right is.

If marriage were a "right," then surely you have the "right" to marry your mother, your brother, your housecat AND your iphone. It's a right, according to you. Which means you have a fundamental claim on this that nobody can deny within the law.

If everything is a right, then what difference does having that designation make? Yeah, it is a right {yawn} so what. Here, it is being taken away from you anyway, and nobody will care, because the term has been so diluted that people cannot even keep up with them all.

This is what you are doing here by trying to characterize everything as a "right". And no, marriage is not a "right".

Old 04-20-2015, 08:01 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I think that after the court affirms same sex marriage the "religious right" will be apoplectic.

I anticipate some very entertaining childish displays from these self-proclaimed chsristians. I'll be especially eager to hear "I want my country back!"

If the court were to do that, and I do not believe they will, the Christians who actually believe in and try to follow the Bible will refuse to recognize these homosexual "marriages," as there is truly no such thing, nor will there ever be, and will regard any homosexual who claims to be "married" as someone who is desperately pretending to be something that they are not.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If the court were to do that, and I do not believe they will, the Christians who actually believe in and try to follow the Bible will refuse to recognize these homosexual "marriages," as there is truly no such thing, nor will there ever be, and will regard any homosexual who claims to be "married" as someone who is desperately pretending to be something that they are not.

So, you want your country back.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I'm betting that this court will, they are the most useless group of liberal fools that ever sat on the SC.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:39 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, the harassment of business owners is a disturbing trend, and I hope the SC considers that in their decision making. Clearly LGBT community has zero tolerance for anyone who is not 100% supporter of the their agenda. The business owners religious rights must be protected.
Poor guys... It must be so damned hard being white, Christian
And heterosexual. Let me go start a Go Fund Me for you

Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Fine, we will all survive if some people deny the validity of SSM, just as we have all survived even though some people still deny the validity of interracial marriage, some people deny the validity of interfaith marriage, and some folks deny the validity of people who divorce and marry each other with the rapidity of a person with a cold going through kleenex.

But sorry, if you are a dmv clerk and a same-sex couple appears before you, you must either accept their legal status or quit your job.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Dream on, considering how many gays can pass as straight. On the other hand, the guy wearing a pink shirt may or may not be gay. The boyishly cute guy may be totally straight. Discriminating against gays as a matter of religious principle, or in any way, tends to be difficult to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies