Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:26 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times

Advertisements

HD radio is not subscription. Here is the Wiki...

HD Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpts...

It was selected by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 2002 as a digital audio broadcasting method for the United States,[1][2] and is the only digital system approved by the FCC for digital AM/FM broadcasts in the United States. It is officially known as NRSC-5, with the latest version being NRSC-5-C

As a standard practice, the kilohertz signal rate is written next to its corresponding data transfer rate kilobits/s or kbits/s in HD Radio documentation. While HD Radio does allow for an all-digital mode, this system currently is used by some AM and FM radio stations to simulcast both digital and analog audio within the same channel (a hybridized digital-analog signal) as well as to add new FM channels and text information. Although HD Radio broadcasting's content is currently subscription-free, listeners must purchase new receivers in order to receive the digital portion of the signal.

As of May 2009, there were more stations in the world on the air with HD Radio technology than any other digital radio technology. More than 1,900 stations covering approximately 84% of the United States[4] are broadcasting with this technology, and more than 1,000 HD2 and HD3 multicast channels are on the air.

The differences between tube amplifiers and semiconductor ones is in the design not the device used. People can and have designed semiconductor amps that have exactly the same behavior as a tube set. There appears to be no significant market for such an amplifier again implying tube amps are a rich guys toy...not a better device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You read wrong.
Dang, sorry I was off by 5%. (and even then it says 1, which means maybe they can receive reception in their car but not their house.

Quote:
Did you lose free OTA TV when they switched to digital or did you see an increase in channels like most of the rest of the country?
I have 120 worthless channels at a very high monthly costs.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
HD radio is not subscription. Here is the Wiki...

HD Radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpts...

It was selected by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 2002 as a digital audio broadcasting method for the United States,[1][2] and is the only digital system approved by the FCC for digital AM/FM broadcasts in the United States. It is officially known as NRSC-5, with the latest version being NRSC-5-C

As a standard practice, the kilohertz signal rate is written next to its corresponding data transfer rate kilobits/s or kbits/s in HD Radio documentation. While HD Radio does allow for an all-digital mode, this system currently is used by some AM and FM radio stations to simulcast both digital and analog audio within the same channel (a hybridized digital-analog signal) as well as to add new FM channels and text information. Although HD Radio broadcasting's content is currently subscription-free, listeners must purchase new receivers in order to receive the digital portion of the signal.

As of May 2009, there were more stations in the world on the air with HD Radio technology than any other digital radio technology. More than 1,900 stations covering approximately 84% of the United States[4] are broadcasting with this technology, and more than 1,000 HD2 and HD3 multicast channels are on the air.

The differences between tube amplifiers and semiconductor ones is in the design not the device used. People can and have designed semiconductor amps that have exactly the same behavior as a tube set. There appears to be no significant market for such an amplifier again implying tube amps are a rich guys toy...not a better device.
You keep on repeating your opinions and me mine. I can buy a vintage tube amp pretty inexpensively. Better is purely subjective.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have 120 worthless channels at a very high monthly costs.
What does that have to do with digital OTA TV? Nothing of course.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:03 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
You keep on repeating your opinions and me mine. I can buy a vintage tube amp pretty inexpensively. Better is purely subjective.
No it is not. Audio quality is quantifiable. Even yours if you wished to spend the money. There are amplifiers with identical audio properties made from tubes and from semiconductors. People buy the tube versions for reasons other than quality. If you wish you can buy old semiconductor amplifiers for practically nothing. So you and others buy these tube devices for reasons that are not related to audio quality

Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
What does that have to do with digital OTA TV? Nothing of course.
Because digital OTA TV is almost non existent around here. Digital TV doesn't travel as well as analog.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
No it is not. Audio quality is quantifiable. Even yours if you wished to spend the money. There are amplifiers with identical audio properties made from tubes and from semiconductors. People buy the tube versions for reasons other than quality. If you wish you can buy old semiconductor amplifiers for practically nothing. So you and others buy these tube devices for reasons that are not related to audio quality
I've never bought one. The sound is indeed different though.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Digital TV doesn't travel as well as analog.
That's not the case at all. With analog when you have poor reception you can watch a fuzzy picture, not sure why you would want to do that. With digital it's all or nothing. What you need is a better antenna, this is not a new problem. Large antennas on the roofs of most houses were common until about the 70's, some of them could even be remotely moved mechanically.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
That's not the case at all. With analog when you have poor reception you can watch a fuzzy picture, not sure why you would want to do that. With digital it's all or nothing. What you need is a better antenna, this is not a new problem. Large antennas on the roofs of most houses were common until about the 70's, some of them could even be remotely moved mechanically.
You claimed I was wrong but then supported my position. A fuzzy picture does still beat no picture. Digital doesn't travel as well as analog.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:25 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
I think it's a bad idea, they should keep both. Airwaves can be used when the **** hits the fan easier than digital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies