Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The majority of other nations do it because they are for a government controlled economy. I personally would rather not have to wait months for treatment in a line with everyone else.

The one thing that is guaranteed is the government runs things poorly. I would prefer our healthcare system not turn into the VA.
Universal healthcare and single payer do not automatically mean one waits for medical treatment. That some treatments in some parts of some countries require a wait does not mean all people, in all places, in all specialities, wait.

BTW, some VA hospitals are efficient and some are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 02:22 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
democrats under Hillary Clinton when her husband was president failed to find funding needed for single payer. Then they started work on planning what you presently see in ACA.
While the ACA is a job killer, Hillary's plan was much worse.

This Video is excellent. Dr. Betsy McCaughey has gone over the finer details and explains them in simple terms.

Dr. Betsy McCaughey • New Hampshire Republican Leadership Summit • 4/18/15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIoB...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-22-2015, 02:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
With a single payer system, you will have the rich people paying into the system but using private doctors outside of the system, so they could really care less since there would be an insignificant impact to them.
A single payer system doesn't mean you have to go to a government clinic. You can go to a "private
doctor". Curious though, how many private doctors there will be left since HMOs and hospitals are buying all their practices and having them be "employees".

You know, docs treat you medically the same as everyone else, regardless of your "insurance" whether you want to believe that or not. If you need an operation, they aren't thinking, "Let me see, he's got Medicaid so he gets a ****ty operation, He's got Medicare so he gets an okay one, and if he's got Kaiser Platinum he gets the best surgery I can do. It doesn't work that way.

Hey, if after a single payer system, you want to buy a rider from a private insurance company that is
peddling something you probably don't need anyways go ahead. Just don't bend over backwards
using lack of choice as an argument against single payer.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM

698 posts, read 588,163 times
The US would have plenty of money to afford a single payer system with no tax increases if we quit wasting trillions of dollars on military spending. Other countries spend money to keep their citizens healthy, the US spends a lot of money trying to kill the citizens of other countries. It is all about the priorities and in the US they are mucked up beyond belief.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
A single payer system doesn't mean you have to go to a government clinic. You can go to a "private
doctor".
And will the single payer government system cover the costs of me going to a private doctor?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
The US would have plenty of money to afford a single payer system with no tax increases if we quit wasting trillions of dollars on military spending. Other countries spend money to keep their citizens healthy, the US spends a lot of money trying to kill the citizens of other countries. It is all about the priorities and in the US they are mucked up beyond belief.
I'm in about 50% agreement with you. We also provide defense for other countries.
Helping Others Defend Themselves | Foreign Affairs

If some of those countries had to spend more on their own defense, they would have less money to spend on health care.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The people with means overseas come here for medical treatment because of the higher level of care. I have no problem paying for a higher level of care, I do not care for average when it comes to my health care and I have made my life choices around that preference.
The number of outbound medical tourism is substantially greater than the number of inbound tourism in the US. A 2008 McKinsey study reported that 60-85,000 people entered the US for medical treatment while 750,000 US people sought medical treatment overseas.

BCBS/ California added several hospitals in Mexico to their network.

BCBS/ South Carolina added hospitals in Thailand, Singapore, turkey, ireland, Costa Rica and India to their network.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Universal healthcare and single payer do not automatically mean one waits for medical treatment. That some treatments in some parts of some countries require a wait does not mean all people, in all places, in all specialities, wait.

BTW, some VA hospitals are efficient and some are not.
Though you are correct, if you are in one of those areas, specialties that requires waiting you have no other recourse. You have no other option to select a different healthcare provider. You are stuck.

The history of socialized medicine hallmark has never been a speedy delivery of quality care.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:41 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The number of outbound medical tourism is substantially greater than the number of inbound tourism in the US. A 2008 McKinsey study reported that 60-85,000 people entered the US for medical treatment while 750,000 US people sought medical treatment overseas.

BCBS/ California added several hospitals in Mexico to their network.

BCBS/ South Carolina added hospitals in Thailand, Singapore, turkey, ireland, Costa Rica and India to their network.
This has nothing to do with the speed and quality of care, which is the hallmark of my argument.

Someone outsourcing their medical care overseas is no different than the outsourcing of jobs. It is an inferior product that is cheaper. Some prefer this over the more expensive, higher quality care that we have here.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:42 PM

428 posts, read 344,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
If we already spend more than other countries, what's the point of redirecting funds from military spending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies