Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 06:54 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I have to agree completely with your explanation, and I believe this as well. Whenever change occurs, it is rarely seamless, and some folks will always resist this change. However, in this case, we are talking about an entire political party that has little or no dissent within its own ranks, making this attitude a shared one, proven by their legislative voting record.

The Jackie Robinson analogy is quite accurate, as both men knew the changes they made would be countered with racist hostility, and both men have shown class and dignity throughout.
The man who mentored Jackie Robinson was Branch Rickey who mentored Barry Sorento?
You and your analogy ...
If it wasn't for Republicans Jackie's aspirations of playing pro ball would be Gone With The Wind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Not sure where you're getting your information. Republicans planned on the night of the 2008 election to oppose anything Obama said. They wouldn't let him so much as make a nomination. No bills passed. Congress did absolutely nothing and McConnell said that was the goal. To do nothing and blame Obama.

First, I'm not even sure that what you are saying is actually true. Secondly, you are stating it as if the Democrats are some sort of victim to evil Republican manipulations and fearmongering. Thirdly, even if were true, what you are saying would mean that you think the American people are too stupid to understand what is going on, and who is actually at fault.

I mean, while the Republicans certainly blamed Obama. Obama also blamed the Republicans. And not only did Obama blame the Republicans, every Democrat in Congress, and pretty much every political pundit who isn't employed by Fox News did as well.

So if the Republicans can just point their finger at Obama and prevent an opponent from passing legislation, as well as use it to win sweeping elections in the future. Why wouldn't the Republicans simply do it every election? Why wait until Obama?

Look, it was certainly politically beneficial to obstruct Obama. But do you even remember Obama's campaign slogan? "Hope and CHANGE". Obama wanted to completely reshape America to effectively become more like Europe. The Republicans hated Bill Clinton and had a government shutdown in his time in office, but do you know what Bill Clinton ran on? Balancing the budget and reforming welfare.

It reminds me of a joke by Jon Stewart... "Republicans love America- they just seem to hate about 50 percent of the people who live in it. Democrats- they love this country- they just somehow wish it were a different country."

Jon Stewart’s Religion and Political Views | The Hollowverse

As I said, if Obama hadn't pushed so hard. It is highly unlikely that the Republicans would have pushed back so hard. But I will concede one thing. It isn't entirely Obama's fault. The "Tea-party" that the Democrats hate so much. It wasn't started when Obama won. It was really the eventual outgrowth of Ron Paul's failed presidential candidacy. Thus, much of the "far-right extremism" actually began long before Obama was even elected.

And lets also make something clear. When Obama won, he had a supermajority in Congress. His own party members regularly voted against his legislation. These people were called "blue-dogs", and were attacked by liberals as some sort of "turncoats".

Quote:
Democrats had no desire to replace Obama with Elizabeth Warren. Get a grip. Obama won 2012 handily, even with all the Republican "hair on fire" theatrics.

Look, I remember pretty clearly that pretty much every "anti-war" democrat/liberal had talked about how irritated they were with Obama's militarism. And how they wish they could replace Obama with someone who better represented their views. It didn't happen because Obama was still their best shot of winning.

Please watch this video.

Moore: "Wall Street Has Their Man And His Name Is Barack Obama" | RealClearPolitics

Old 04-24-2015, 07:00 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:

You get excited about a man from China at a Republican event like he's a four leaf clover. It's sad but a perfect example of the disconnect Republicans have about themselves and how they are perceived by everyone else.
I see that you can't help yourself. You have some need to continue to further embarrass yourself. How very sad.

Once again, you have no articulate comeback so you fixate on the fact that I mentioned meeting someone from China.

I'll repeat this for you one last time and if you still don't get it and continue to harp on it, then that's on you alone and it reflects very poorly on you. Listen up---You were the one who said that republicans are racist. I then gave you examples to prove you wrong. You didn't like it so you harp on it and twist things.

Just because I don't vote for the straight D line like you, it doesn't make me a republican, no more than it makes me a democrat.

Why are you having such trouble understanding this? And why do you continue to embarrass yourself?

I know that you aren't content to let sleeping dogs lie so I expect you to come back and twist things. How about you prove me wrong. Can you just quit? If I were a betting person, I would say that you can't quit and I would be all that much richer for having bet

May you continue to blindly vote D and may that result in you voting in bluedog democrats! I would love to see more bluedogs and fewer RINOs!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:08 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I see that you can't help yourself. You have some need to continue to further embarrass yourself. How very sad.

Once again, you have no articulate comeback so you fixate on the fact that I mentioned meeting someone from China.

I'll repeat this for you one last time and if you still don't get it and continue to harp on it, then that's on you alone and it reflects very poorly on you. Listen up---You were the one who said that republicans are racist. I then gave you examples to prove you wrong. You didn't like it so you harp on it and twist things.

Just because I don't vote for the straight D line like you, it doesn't make me a republican, no more than it makes me a democrat.

Why are you having such trouble understanding this? And why do you continue to embarrass yourself?

I know that you aren't content to let sleeping dogs lie so I expect you to come back and twist things. How about you prove me wrong. Can you just quit? If I were a betting person, I would say that you can't quit and I would be all that much richer for having bet

May you continue to blindly vote D and may that result in you voting in bluedog democrats! I would love to see more bluedogs and fewer RINOs!
Okay bubba, here you go, I will spoon this out for you like a train, choo choo! Here is the name of the thread:

Will America Look Back on Republican Obstructionism as the Last Vestiges of Racism?

You may not like the answer, but I gave my answer. You may think Republicans are "big tent". I think that is laughable. You have Republicans on this very thread screaming about racism against white. I'm white and I know that's ridiculous. But go ahead, pretend to be independent while you sell the the Republican lie.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:17 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
The name of the thread is asking if Republicans are racist. Go ahead and nominate a black candidate or a woman candidate for president. I'll just wait right here. Please feel free to dust me off occasionally.
That's right, Republicans. If you want to prove you aren't racist and sexist then you need to start making race and sex the prime factors in selecting presidential candidates.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:19 PM

16,614 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Dusting that one off again eh? As we know, the parties changed in the South due to the passing of the Civil Rights Act.

I said Republicans will not nominate a black or a woman as president. Prove me wrong. Will you choose Carly Fiorina? Ben Carson? Of course you won't and you know it. I'm not sure why this is so hard for you to admit.

I know you were addressing another poster, but rest assured (R's) would take Carson over Obama by 99%. While neither of them were/are qualified to be president, race is not the issue. Instead it is substance over the race or gender of the candidate.
The (R's) will also be willing to elect a woman, but she of course must be conservative. If Jane Kirkpatrick or an American version of Margret Thatcher were still alive, they would be an obvious choices.

So despite the liberal hyperbole deriding (R's) as being racist and/or misogynists, they would be happy to have any race or gender so long as they were qualified and conservative.

BTW - Whether you liked Sarah Palin or hated her, she would have been one heart beat from the presidency, and oh,,,,,,,,,,,, it was the (R's) who nominated her. Imagine that.

`

Old 04-24-2015, 07:19 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Okay bubba, here you go, I will spoon this out for you like a train, choo choo! Here is the name of the thread:

Will America Look Back on Republican Obstructionism as the Last Vestiges of Racism?

You may not like the answer, but I gave my answer. You may think Republicans are "big tent". I think that is laughable. You have Republicans on this very thread screaming about racism against white. I'm white and I know that's ridiculous. But go ahead, pretend to be independent while you sell the the Republican lie.
You are in denial.

I dare you---attend a republican event sometime.

Yeah, you're white and riddled with white guilt, which is a shame to be filled with such self-loathing.

Darn! Too bad I couldn't have placed that bet about you returning here! I would have been rich

You are behaving like a child having a tantrum. I don't think like you---so you must be a republican---even though when the RNC called us and asked us to join, I said "no" and gave them an earful. If the DNC called, the answer would have been the same "no" and they, too, would have gotten an earful.

What is wrong with you? Even though I've clearly explained everything to you, you just keep repeating the same old lies.

I guess that the truth is too painful for you to ear.

Let it go already. You've embarrassed yourself beyond belief. Either way, I'm done with you and you childish tantrums. Buh-bye! If you post again, you will be talking to yourself and won't that make you look foolish.

Oh---and you called me "bubba". You do know that "bubba" is Bill Clinton's nickname, right? And Clinton is a --- democrat! ROFL! BTW, this will make you faint---I voted for "bubba" twice

Old 04-24-2015, 07:24 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

I know you were addressing another poster, but rest assured (R's) would take Carson over Obama by 99%. While neither of them were/are qualified to be president, race is not the issue. Instead it is substance over the race or gender of the candidate.
The (R's) will also be willing to elect a woman, but she of course must be conservative. If Jane Kirkpatrick or an American version of Margret Thatcher were still alive, they would be an obvious choices.

So despite the liberal hyperbole deriding (R's) as being racist and/or misogynists, they would be happy to have any race or gender so long as they were qualified and conservative.

`
See, that's so easy to type. I could type that I want world peace and for everyone to have a puppy.

Republicans will not nominate a black or a woman for president. Saying you would choose Carson over Obama because you agree more with him is meaningless. Would you actually nominate Carson? Would you be able to see it through all the way to the nomination? That's the rub. There may be a handful of Republicans that would, but the Republican Party overall will still choose the white guy. Carson would have to win all the Republican primaries and make it all the way to the Republican Convention. That's where the rhetoric ends and reality sets in.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
The name of the thread is asking if Republicans are racist. Go ahead and nominate a black candidate or a woman candidate for president. I'll just wait right here. Please feel free to dust me off occasionally.

You get excited about a man from China at a Republican event like he's a four leaf clover. It's sad but a perfect example of the disconnect Republicans have about themselves and how they are perceived by everyone else.
Go ahead and elect a Hispanic governor. Right now there are three GOP Hispanic Govs and zero Dems. I'll wait right here. Change my oil after 3000 miles.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:48 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Go ahead and elect a Hispanic governor. Right now there are three GOP Hispanic Govs and zero Dems. I'll wait right here. Change my oil after 3000 miles.
The old white men that run the Democrat Party aren't ready for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies