Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:32 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
A flag is an object. Ascribing supernatural significance to it or worshipping it is tantamount to idolatry.

If it's a choice between worshipping graven images or torching a piece of cloth, I say let it burn.
A flag is an object - I say let it burn

A country is an object - I say let it burn

The people of a country are just objects - I say let them burn

Any ideals you hold are just imaginary objects - I say let them burn

History is just an old object - I say let it burn

All your rights are just temporary objects - I say let it burn

The flag is not just a piece of cloth. It represents so many objects, history, ideals, actions, truths, principals and symbols that when you agree with burning it, you agree with the destruction of many of the underlying principals of American society.

If you take all that you have for granted, burning the symbol of those gifts may mean little. It is not just a burning of a piece of cloth, is has been the steady erosion and trampling on the ideals, principles and rights that the flag represented to many who fought to establish that order and protect it over a long time frame. Flag burning and all it means is only the end process to a long order that has attempted to demean and destroy what America has meant in its better sense as a historical beacon.

So why not burn all the flags. Afterall they have already removed your Rights, the Bill of Rights is now a joke, the Constitution is best printed on door mats.

If you can't understand the symbols, you probably don't even miss what it used to represent. Sadly enough, flag burning shouldn't even get anybody exercised. They didn't get very exercised as we witnessed the loss of what it represented. Burn flags to start new school dazes, burn flags show your enemies you mean no harm.

Better yet collect all the flags of all nations, all organizations, all flags of any type. Burn them too. Reorder society along those lines and principles where the rules will be as you have ordered. No nasty older symbols to be in conflict with to your points of view. Afterall it is just bits of cloth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 12:32 AM

922 posts, read 1,909,163 times
Default flag burning, hazardous to you health

to anybody who thinks they have a right to burn the american flag, this is veterans day weekend, i served in vietnam, my dad in ww2. to many have died and countless injured, defending and representing that flag. there is no reason, no excuse, anytime, any where to burn the American flag. do it in front of me and may GOD have mercy on your soul, cause your butts MINE!
no threat, FACT. its not allowed in my country period. this is not a dare its a code i live by. if your to stupid to understand that ...

Old 11-11-2006, 12:40 AM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
to anybody who thinks they have a right to burn the american flag, this is veterans day weekend, i served in vietnam, my dad in ww2. to many have died and countless injured, defending and representing that flag. there is no reason, no excuse, anytime, any where to burn the American flag. do it in front of me and may GOD have mercy on your soul, cause your butts MINE!
no threat, FACT. its not allowed in my country period. this is not a dare its a code i live by. if your to stupid to understand that ...
Hi,

You do have a right to burn the flag. That doesn't mean it's not poor taste.

You can throw insults at me but I'm not going to chase you down that path. But it's worth asking yourself how you are morally and intellectually any different from the muslim fanatic calling for beheadings.

I don't need to hear the answer. I got it. You need to work that one yourself.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:49 AM

328 posts, read 240,093 times
Unhappy progressive ignorance

Cosmic and Mark - unfortunately, part of the reason our country is failing is because people have totally lost respect...respect for America, society, their parents, the President, etc. Who knows when this downhill slide truly began...I can't say for sure. What I will say is that when Americans lose sight of what our flag represents and don't care if it is burned or disrespected...things are only going to get much worse.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
A flag is an object - I say let it burn

A country is an object - I say let it burn
[quote=Cosmic;160922]
False analogy. A country is much more than a piece of cloth.

Quote:
The people of a country are just objects - I say let them burn
Same false analogy. People are living things.
Quote:
Any ideals you hold are just imaginary objects - I say let them burn
You can't burn ideals, so please, do try to burn them.
Quote:
History is just an old object - I say let it burn
All your rights are just temporary objects - I say let it burn
Same as above
Quote:
The flag is not just a piece of cloth. It represents so many objects, history, ideals, actions, truths, principals and symbols that when you agree with burning it, you agree with the destruction of many of the underlying principals of American society.
False. It is a piece of cloth, nothing more. What do you think happens to society when a flag is burned by accident? Same as what happens when it's burned on purpose -- nothing.
Quote:
If you take all that you have for granted, burning the symbol of those gifts may mean little. It is not just a burning of a piece of cloth, is has been the steady erosion and trampling on the ideals, principles and rights that the flag represented to many who fought to establish that order and protect it over a long time frame. Flag burning and all it means is only the end process to a long order that has attempted to demean and destroy what America has meant in its better sense as a historical beacon.
Ideals, principles and rights are eroded or reinforced by the day-to-day behavior of people.

I would respond by asking you this: burning a flag or burning people alive for burning a flag -- which of the two represents the greater erosion of ideals, principles and rights?

Actually you don't have the right to superimpose your personal liberty on an inanimate object for the sole purpose of telling others what they can or cannot do with that object. If I own a flag and choose to burn it, that's my right to property and you can't do a thing about it.

Let's say I decide that your car is a symbol of my ideals, principles and rights, and your driving it around is an insult. Am I allowed to threaten, harm or kill you for doing it? After all, it's your property.

Quote:
So why not burn all the flags. Afterall they have already removed your Rights, the Bill of Rights is now a joke, the Constitution is best printed on door mats.
Indeed, why not? The Bill of Rights & Constitution still stand, no matter how poorly some choose to display them.
Quote:
If you can't understand the symbols, you probably don't even miss what it used to represent. Sadly enough, flag burning shouldn't even get anybody exercised. They didn't get very exercised as we witnessed the loss of what it represented. Burn flags to start new school dazes, burn flags show your enemies you mean no harm.
I understand the symbols perfectly. I also understand the admonition of my God not to worship them. You're welcome to, but I choose not to.

Quote:
Better yet collect all the flags of all nations, all organizations, all flags of any type. Burn them too. Reorder society along those lines and principles where the rules will be as you have ordered. No nasty older symbols to be in conflict with to your points of view. Afterall it is just bits of cloth.
Excellent idea.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:06 AM

Default fanatic

if people dont know the difference between a muslim fanatic and an American, they have no intellec and no morals. ive heard stories about dumbing down of america, im begining to think thats true.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
Cosmic and Mark - unfortunately, part of the reason our country is failing is because people have totally lost respect...respect for America, society, their parents, the President, etc. Who knows when this downhill slide truly began...I can't say for sure. What I will say is that when Americans lose sight of what our flag represents and don't care if it is burned or disrespected...things are only going to get much worse.
Hi,

That's a terrible extension of logic. I care very much what happens in society, but I can also rationally separate the value of objects vs. the value of people. You and others here have an emotional attachment to the flag, that's your thing. Fine. I don't share it and your attachments are not mine to comment upon.

We wouldn't even be having this discussion if it weren't for some who think their rights are so fragile that it's acceptable to kill people for destroying symbols.

Again I'll post the question: how does causing physical harm for disrespecting the flag make one any different than causing physical harm for disrespecting Mohammed? Nobody has yet given a good response to this.

And by the way, I love my parents & neighbors and I'm a helluva a nice guy.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
if people dont know the difference between a muslim fanatic and an American, they have no intellec and no morals. ive heard stories about dumbing down of america, im begining to think thats true.
You're right, I don't see the difference between a fanatic that kills someone for making fun of Mohammed and a fanatic that kills someone for burning a piece of cloth.

I don't get it. The logic is tight. How are they different? Maybe I am dumb -- so please, spell this out for me.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:25 AM

the american flag is alive with the spirit of all that have believed in it. all the souls who have been wraped in it on the last ride home.would you let them kill the other american symbol, the bald eagle? of course not. but its more than just a living creature. if you cannot watch that bird in flight or see the flag wave and be moved and connected to them and want to protect both, then i feel sorry for you, your inner soul is dead, you see nothing with your eyes. you are lost inside of your twisted thoughts. i hope you can get help out.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:33 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Ahem.

Does anyone here really know about Flag Etiquette?

Proper respect of the flag: Do Not's

1. DO NOT use the flag as part of a costume or uniform (except as a patch for military members, police officers, firemen, etc.)
2. DO NOT dip the flag to any object or person
3. DO NOT fly the flag upside down unless it is meant as a signal of distress
4. DO NOT use the flag as covering, decoration, or drapery
5. DO NOT use the flag for purposes of advertising
6. DO NOT deface the flag by putting any marks, lettering, drawing, etc. on it
7. DO NOT use the flag as a vessel for carrying or delivering items
8. DO NOT allow any part of the flag to touch the ground when you are lowering it

Proper respect of the flag: Do's

1. DO clean and repair the flag when needed
2. DO burn the flag in a dignified way when it is worn,(Contact your local American Legion Post or other veteran organizations about this; they often have services to burn old flags)
3. DO raise the flag in a brisk manner and lower it slowly and with respect.
4. DO display the flag only between sunrise and sunset. If it is being displayed at night, illuminate it.

So, proper flag etiquette includes burning the flag. (See? You learn something new everyday! My father, a veteran, has burned many an American flag including a couple torn ones in our backyard recently.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies