Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:27 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,747 times

Advertisements

I don't ask that question for myself because I don't know enough about what happened to give an honest opinion but I think it is wrong that people who deny the holocaust cannot have their opinions and debates without the threat of political correct threats and sometimes arrests made. Even if what the holocaust revisionists say something that is totally ridiculous they still have a right to their beliefs and opinions. Why fear people who deny the holocaust when all they have to do is prove that it happened. What runs against my grain is that I was brought up to believe that a person(or people) can have any opinion they want because we are a land of freedom of speech. So maybe I am missing a link somewhere but why not let the holocaust revisionists have their say.

Oh please don't come with this troll business. This isn't a troll.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:37 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I don't ask that question for myself because I don't know enough about what happened to give an honest opinion but I think it is wrong that people who deny the holocaust cannot have their opinions and debates without the threat of political correct threats and sometimes arrests made. Even if what the holocaust revisionists say something that is totally ridiculous they still have a right to their beliefs and opinions. Why fear people who deny the holocaust when all they have to do is prove that it happened. What runs against my grain is that I was brought up to believe that a person(or people) can have any opinion they want because we are a land of freedom of speech. So maybe I am missing a link somewhere but why not let the holocaust revisionists have their say.

You can have opinion about things that are open to speculation. But denying facts is something completely differently.

Who was arrested for denying the holocaust happened, anyway?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Holocaust deniers are on the same level as Flat Earthers and 9/11 Truthers. It's not just that they're ignorant, it's that they are aggressively pushing a view that is demonstrably and verifiably false.

I do tend to agree with you that people have the right to be unreasonably stupid, and spew their nonsense as they see fit. But their views lack the least bit of legitimacy, and deserved to be mocked and put beyond the pale for that reason.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:16 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,991,884 times
You say you don't know enough to give an opinion...so LEARN about the atrocities that were committed. READ A BOOK....Go to the museum....find out how god-awful man can be to other men (women and children)...

Old 05-06-2015, 01:29 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You say you don't know enough to give an opinion...so LEARN about the atrocities that were committed. READ A BOOK....Go to the museum....find out how god-awful man can be to other men (women and children)...
A few hours with Hitler's Willing Executioners will certainly be enough to churn your stomach.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM

45,347 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:

Didn't pay attention in History class did you?

Holocaust denial is illegal in some European countries (Germany I know for sure) but not in the US. People can say whatever stupid things they want with only the fear of being marked as stupid.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:42 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,161 times
Quote:

Are you serious? If you are, then you're not very bright.

Denying the holocaust is not a crime, it's just someone sadly ignorant and too willfully ignorant to study this horrible event and accept that it happened, and should never happen again.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:41 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,323,521 times
Quote:
Why fear people who deny the holocaust.
No one "fears" holocaust denial. If anyone does fear Holocaust denial, it isn't the denial that they fear but rather the underlying motivation of the denier. Personally, I've never met a denier who if you barely scratch the surface is a virulent anti-Semite or neo-Nazi.

Quote:
What runs against my grain is that I was brought up to believe that a person(or people) can have any opinion they want because we are a land of freedom of speech.
A person can have any opinion that they please, but freedom of speech isn't a one way street. You can say or think whatever you like, just don't be shocked and surprised when other people exercising their 1st Amendment right say and think nasty things about what you say or think.

Quote:
why not let the holocaust revisionists have their say.
With the exception of a few western European countries, no one is "stopping" holocaust revisionist from having their say you are free to say whatever you like, the government isn't going to stop you.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:14 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
I think it is wrong that people who deny the holocaust cannot have their opinions and debates without the threat of political correct threats and sometimes arrests made.
Nobody has ever been arrested in The US for being a holocaust denier.
That may not be the case in Germany (and possibly in some other European nations that bore the brunt of the Nazi's brutality), but in The US people are free to express whatever opinions they might have--no matter how bizarre they might be.

And...yes...in the face of literally tons of evidence, the denial of the holocaust's existence is...bizarre...and in every case that denial surely represents a person's own political agenda and/or prejudices.

As I sometimes tell people...You are entitled to your own opinions, but you aren't entitled to your own facts.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:19 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
1. Its an insult to the memory of the people that were tortured and murdered

2. Its asinine, right up there with saying the moon is made of cheese

3. Theres an inherent danger that people will actually believe them and perpetuate the stupidity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies