Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 11:44 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about the fact that Gray died and the Baltimore PD has a history of giving "rough rides", resulting in millions of dollars in lawsuit settlements?
When you can prove that an incident which took place several years ago caused the death of Mr. Gray I will take your point into serious consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 11:45 AM

The Baltimore newspaper may call itself the Sun, but I only see darkness in its pages.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:52 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Is there a perception that a detained person who sustains any type of injury while in custody has an opportunity to win the I'm a victim lottery?
If that were the case, Baltimore would have paid out a lot more money than it has. And this is also why there needs to be criminal prosecutions. Let a court decide if a police officer has done something or not. Don't use my tax dollars to keep making these payouts, especially as I don't want money going to someone who doesn't deserve it!

Quote:
"But now a prisoner who allegedly witnessed Mr Gray’s ride to a Baltimore police station claims he “was intentionally trying to injure himself” in the van."

Baltimore riots: Black man who died in police custody 'intentionally tried to injure himself' claims fellow prisoner - Mirror Online
That was misinformation:

“I am Donta Allen. I am the one who was in the van with Freddie Gray,” he said. “All I did was go straight to the station, but I heard a little banging like he was banging his head.” “They trying to make it seem like I told them that, I made it like Freddie Gray did that to himself,” Allen said. “Why the **** would he do that to himself?”
Other Prisoner in Van with Freddie Gray Denies Police Account

Old 05-02-2015, 11:56 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about the fact that Gray died and the Baltimore PD has a history of giving "rough rides", resulting in millions of dollars in lawsuit settlements?

If this is about "only black lives matter", what about the lives of the three black officers charged?

Presumably the facts will come out in court and the guilty, if there are any, will be identified and the innocent will be exonerated.
Yet, people don't give a damn....

Look at the last high profile cases....martin and ferguson....

Old 05-02-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
If that were the case, Baltimore would have paid out a lot more money than it has. And this is also why there needs to be criminal prosecutions. Let a court decide if a police officer has done something or not. Don't use my tax dollars to keep making these payouts, especially as I don't want money going to someone who doesn't deserve it!

That was misinformation:

“I am Donta Allen. I am the one who was in the van with Freddie Gray,” he said. “All I did was go straight to the station, but I heard a little banging like he was banging his head.” “They trying to make it seem like I told them that, I made it like Freddie Gray did that to himself,” Allen said. “Why the **** would he do that to himself?”
Maybe Mr. Gray didn't think his actions would cause his death and he hoped to collect a large sum of taxpayer money to spend on heroin.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yet, people don't give a damn....

Look at the last high profile cases....martin and ferguson....
Is Martin a city, where is it located?

Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:

That was misinformation:

I can barely understand what the man is saying. It sounds like he's claiming that Mr Gray was banging his head in the van, but at the same time he seems to be saying that he doesn't understand why someone would bang their head so maybe he wasn't banging his head.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:03 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
I can barely understand what the man is saying. It sounds like he's claiming that Mr Gray was banging his head in the van, but at the same time he seems to be saying that he doesn't understand why someone would bang their head so maybe he wasn't banging his head.
He's using an extended simile: "I heard a little banging like he was banging his head." He was only describing the sound, not the intention. Someone else attributed intention and it wasn't him.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
He's using an extended simile: "I heard a little banging like he was banging his head." He was only describing the sound, not the intention. Someone else attributed intention and it wasn't him.
The guy in the van said that it sounded like "he was banging his head". If he thought that it was the black cop driving the van doing it to another black man, why didn't he explicitly say so?

Old 05-02-2015, 12:19 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Well, since this guy was only loaded into that van about 5 minutes before arriving at the Police Station..then per information stated yesterday by States Attorney, that prior to this witness being loading into van..Freddie Gray had already asked for medical assistance.....So as a now retired trauma nurse..I suspect whatever banging he might have heard ( for about 5 seconds ) was Freddie seizing and his feet were hitting the side of the van. I say this because Freddie according to ME..had no outward signs of injury to face, head which includes bumps and bruises partially healed since he was kept alive on ventilator for a week.. ETA~ I would also assume that when Freddie was rushed to Hospital Trauma Room..that a full assessment would have been done "Head to Toes" which includes all body injuries, Neuro assessment, Cardiac and Respiratory. This would be well documented in the ER/Trauma notes..and I'm sure @ trial..will be testified to by Trauma Physician and his Team Members..

What I did find interesting in some his excited descriptions was he heard a couple of those officers saying..(paraphrasing) Officer's saying.."He got the ride of his life" and chuckling.....only to find Freddie in Cardiac Arrest by the paramedics who were dispatched on a broken bone call???

Let me see If I can find that link~~ Yikes..It's been deleted..I guess it's because he is now considered a witness in the cases going to trial now..Sorry..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies