Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government redistribute wealth by higher taxes on the rich?
Yes 96 42.86%
No 122 54.46%
Unsure 6 2.68%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:25 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,604,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
You don't get it. Any so-called "tax break" to corporations is a savings to the end consumer. If you can't understand that, you don't understand economics.

Businesses already charge what they could charge. If there was any room for price increases, it would have raised prices already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 PM

5,349 posts, read 4,447,713 times
Copyrighted images should be linked to not hot-linked.

It's up to you to post properly.

Newer member are strongly urged to read the sticky at the top of the forum.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,217,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Easier said than done... pending the situation.
From what I recall of the posters previous comments, they actually know computer programming. They could work during the day an dthen do their programming at night for extra income until they work their way up.

Its not at all difficult to work your way up from minimum wage. 97% of the nation does it, and if you're in your 40's or 50's and doing it.. its no one elses fault but your own.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Businesses already charge what they could charge. If there was any room for price increases, it would have raised prices already.
Um.. businesses run on a cap rate for profit goals. If you increase the cost, they have to increase the prices to off set it.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Gods...who would want complete equality? That would suck. What I want is LESS inequality. That doesn't mean I want equality either in wealth and income. I'm unsure why everyone keeps thinking that the people they disagree with on this want that.

Look...theres a line somewhere between dying of thirst, and drowning. Income and wealth inequality are like that. Too much inequality, and we get a lot of nightmarish scenarios, and our economy stops being functional. I think we're closer to that then we should be. Too little and you ALSO get nightmarish scenarios and our economy stops being functional.
The only way to address income and wealth inequality is to incentivize competiton as much as possible through the tax code, but everytime we do that, left wingers go bonkers shouting "welfare for the rich".. Its only through increased competition for labor, that true wages as well as benefits need to be raised in order to entice the best employees.

Only through free market capitalism with lots of competition, can wealth be capped because competition reduces the profits. When person A starts to make a fortune in a field, competition will come along and compete thereby lowering their profit margins.

What exists now, its no shock we're seeing the results, and its not pretty.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:45 PM

42,872 posts, read 26,399,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
But other phones have come into the market at a much lower cost. Hipsters buying a product for style points is outside of a normal business model. Most products are fiercely competitive with a make smaller profit margin where a tax change can either 1. Raise price or 2. Cause the product to no longer be sold in the same quantities which leads to a loss of jobs because people are not willing to pay a higher price for a product.
Fiercely competitive? ..hmm maybe not so much. It costs 90 cents to make a pair of cheap jeans in Bangladesh, those are the kind of jeans that you see in Walmart, Target, Sears, J.C. Penney- usually store branded or made for the store by a company like Wrangler. The price in those stores for virtually the same pair of jeans is $19-$25. Even if those stores were paying 30% in tax (and I can just about guarantee they aren't) there would still be a bunch of profit in those jeans. So according to you, those stores would all have 'rollback' sales the day their taxes dropped and drop the price of those jeans? NO, they won't to do that because they don't have to.
90 Cents: The Cost Of Safely-Made Jeans In Bangladesh | Here & Now

You know where 'fiendishly competitive' comes in? Our small businesses, the restaurants where you enjoy dinner, or the local hardware store or lumber yard or neighborhood grocery. Those are the companies we should reward with low taxes, not the likes of Apple, or Walmart, Target or any of the Corporations who paid no income tax in 2014
15 Fortune 500 Companies Paid No Federal Income Taxes in 2014 | The Fiscal Times

Old 05-07-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You totally misunderstand wealth. Hoarding has no impact on what lower income people can make.

The cornerstone of a developed society is free trade.
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of americans are glad Warren Buffet or Bill Gates has the ability to hoard their wealth. Without it, they wouldnt have jobs, some of them very well paying jobs...

Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
The only reason most people that weren't born into money obtain extreme wealth is because our government allows them to, so if they want a chunk of it back then so be it.
Yes, I'm sure Bill Gates is so thankful for the governments permission to obtain his wealth..

Really? You actually think like this?

Old 05-07-2015, 07:53 PM

42,872 posts, read 26,399,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of americans are glad Warren Buffet or Bill Gates has the ability to hoard their wealth. Without it, they wouldnt have jobs, some of them very well paying jobs...
That is just a guess, a very wild guess, you have no idea whether their 'cash hoarding' has any effect on their employee numbers. Let's try to keep it real, ok?

Old 05-07-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Those patents non-compete clauses and others (I signed at least 5 more such agreements when I was put on disability) are all designed to keep the exceptional Joe from competing not the average Joe!!!

Be serious who worries about the average Joe in corporate America.

I really liked the one baring disparaging comments about the company's management, service dept, products etc.
Many of those non compete clauses have been ruled illegal because one cant limit their ability to earn a living or their right to free speech. Dont quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure there have been numerous rulings to this effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies