Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 10:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times

Advertisements

To conflate politics and religion weakens both. If politics can use religion to justify action it will become a tyranny. If religion can use the power of government to command belief the faith will be destroyed. Government and religion should be kept completely apart.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I just want to know: why the hysteria over gays? Christians view other things as sinful, why aren't they up in arms about ills in our society?

I mean look at how our politicians lie and steal, that's a sin. You never see conservative Christians get up in arms about THAT.

OR the divorce rate in America, something Jesus spoke specifically about, and somehow that is up to interpretation.
They still do have other thinks they protest (alcohol, violent movies/games, etc), but by and large those battles have already been fought and they've lost.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Probably because they know that there is nothing we can do about corrupt politicians. Politicians have been corrupt as long as humans have had any type of government, and can be found in ALL races/countries/cultures. About divorcing, that too is something they know they can't control. For some reason they think they can still control the gay issue but that again, is something they can't. I embrace treating them as equals, just not as superiors. I don't think gays deserve entitlements more than a straight person. I think they should be viewed as equals. I think what bothers me often times is how we celebrate homosexuality like an accomplishment. Being gay or straight doesn't mean you get a certificate. I just wish everything was 100% equal between sexes, races, and sexual orientation.
You don't have to be bothered. What people are celebrating is the right to be gay. It wasn't so long ago that Gays didn't have any rights due to being gay. Not long ago being gay was considered an aberration. It was defined in medical dictionaries with its very own diagnosis code as a mental illness. By law the "condition" of homosexuality was either be imprisoned or be treated using hormone therapy in some countries. Gays couldn't have jobs or be in public places without being ridiculed and threatened. Have you ever heard of "Stonewall?" Look it up if you haven't.

The celebrating is that Society has moved passed that, hopefully.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:59 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,961 times
I "claim" to be a believer , you, might call me a Christian...BTW, I want you all to know, that I struggle with all These Agenda's...
NOW... Allow me to point something out.. There are FANS and There are FOLLOWERS.... Fans?.. You know, those LOUD Obnoxious People Standing and Screaming and its all about A Team I am NOT a Member of.... they dont really play... they are not truly On The Team.. They are wannabees... but they are NOT WILLING to do what it takes....... to Make The Team..
So as I said I am a Christian.. some of you, maybe many of you immediately thought ... JERK!
But if I said I was a Rock Star, wouldnt you ask me to sing a song to PROVE who I claimed to be? Rock STtars Sing or play an Insturmemnt.. If it turns out I can do neither what am I?.. Then when someome says they are a Christian why dont you look at how they live their lives... Are They all concerned about having gunsssss so they are ready to kill someone at a moments notice.... Are they spreading lies about people to make them look bad? or To make someone they think they like to look good?.. Do they treat their employees badly? To find fault with any group, dont you first you have to know what it takes to be in that group.. NOT just what it takes to watch that group from the side lines.. You can....... call yourself anything you want.. I can call myself a Genius... But the proof will be "in the pudding" as they say.. I said I was a Rock Star too.. Did I sound like one to you? Even If I had on my favorite Keith Richards Costume, would you have believed I was a Member of the Rolling Stones?? BTW Jesus had many issues with Religious People back in His Days here on this Earth..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I totally agree. Forty years ago, President Jimmy Carter ran as a "born again Christian" and some people questioned his religious views, but Carter always kept his personal religion out of the political arena and never tried to impose those views on the country although he was a very committed Christian as his post-presidential life has shown.

I have little doubt that the current crop of political idiots from the Religious Right would relish forcing their religious views on the country in the name of "religious freedom" because they don't respect anybody's beliefs but their own.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
I just want to know: why the hysteria over gays? Christians view other things as sinful, why aren't they up in arms about ills in our society?
I think they realize that abortion is a non-starter after the beatings from the 2012 rape controversies during US Senate races.

Quote:
I mean look at how our politicians lie and steal, that's a sin. You never see conservative Christians get up in arms about THAT.
Even Televangelists do that. Oral Roberts once said, "God will 'send me home' if I don't raise 8 million."

Quote:
OR the divorce rate in America, something Jesus spoke specifically about, and somehow that is up to interpretation.
It is also up to interpretation if God is the forgiving father who allows you the ability to ask for his forgiveness or if he is the God who smits those who breaks his commandments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right. Someone who considers themselves an evangelist is not going to keep his private religious beliefs out of the workplace. And if that workplace is the US government, no thank you.
There in lies the problem. Ted Cruz for example claims to be a constitutional conservative but is very devout. He is against gay marriage but claims to be for states deciding on marriage (though remember, they do get equal protection under the law regardless (a reason gay marriage bans are becoming fewer and fewer in America.)) The question is, "Is a Ted Cruz willing to put aside his beliefs or not if states decide to allow gay marriage?"

Old 05-10-2015, 12:03 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
If I could get away with not voting for a Christian again, I would. Most Christians believe I am going to hell due to my faith. How is someone who holds those beliefs able to govern a country?

Old 05-10-2015, 12:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,455,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Most of us Christians love and accept homosexual people while simultaneously rejecting the sin of homosexuality. This is what God does, and we are called to be Christlike....
How do YOU know what "God's" view of gayness is? Do you have an occasional Skype with God to chat about these things?

Old 05-10-2015, 12:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Those who would vote for a man simply because he was evangelical are just as crazy as those who would vote for man simply because he was gay. Thankfully most American are more intelligent than that.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:35 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:

I really wish you people would stop generalizing about Christians.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:36 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If I could get away with not voting for a Christian again, I would. Most Christians believe I am going to hell due to my faith. How is someone who holds those beliefs able to govern a country?
That is SUCH bullsh*t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies