Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:56 PM

8,293 posts, read 8,702,850 times

Advertisements

A gay president wouldn't try to convert the country to homosexuality. An evangelical would try to convert the country to Christianity, and there are too many versions of that.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:01 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,917,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right. Someone who considers themselves an evangelist is not going to keep his private religious beliefs out of the workplace. And if that workplace is the US government, no thank you.

The gay guy will out himself whenever possible; is that keeping his sexuality out of the workplace?

Old 05-09-2015, 01:07 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,917,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
A gay president wouldn't try to convert the country to homosexuality. An evangelical would try to convert the country to Christianity, and there are too many versions of that.

I just addressed this topic. A gay president would never let you forget he was gay; he would wear it on his lapel.
A gay president needn't to try to convert anyone. Too many people are fascinated with homosexuals as is and will jump at the chance to try it just to be a cool hipster.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,602,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The gay guy will out himself whenever possible; is that keeping his sexuality out of the workplace?
How is it different when a gay man talks about his husband than when a straight man talks about his wife? There is no difference.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 PM

1,268 posts, read 801,501 times
Quote:
Name a few of the First Ladies. Why did those heterosexual men feel the need bring their sexuality in the workplace? This is why Faux News doesn't want you guys deviating from the talking points. It tends to demonstrate the fault in your logic.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:34 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,931,727 times
Quote:
I just addressed this topic. A gay president would never let you forget he was gay; he would wear it on his lapel.
A gay president needn't to try to convert anyone. Too many people are fascinated with homosexuals as is and will jump at the chance to try it just to be a cool hipster.
What are basing the bolded statement on? , What evidence have you that supports your assertion? Perhaps you are basing it on stereotypes of Gays. Stereotypes are usually wrong when applied to individuals.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:44 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,103,880 times
The only issue I have with gay folks is that they've stolen our rainbows. You can't display a rainbow flag or window decal these days without someone bringing up gay. Sigh! They also seem to think we care who they sleep with. I don't think they are really gonna be accepted as mainstream until they quit being in your face about it. Hey, for that matter, they stole the word "gay" in the first place. Back mid-century, "gay" used to mean happy and frivolous. So, as a tribe, they seem a bit light fingered, but that should go along really well as a politician.

Now IMHO evangelical folks are very scary. To me it seems that their levels of intolerance are widespread and they'd like to cover much more than just the folks in their specific religion. Give them the power of politics and they'd be able to go way overboard with it.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:47 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,228,873 times
Quote:
Really? You base this nonsense on what, exactly?

The president of my city's city council for almost 20 years has been an openly gay man. His sexual orientation has never been an issue except those few times that he's written letters to the local newspapers rebutting "Christian" bigotry against gays and lesbians but then he also writes letters to the editor supporting/criticizing other things, too.

It's time to join the 21st century.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:50 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,067,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Christian Nation? Americans Would Prefer A Gay Person To An Evangelist For President | If You Only News

America appears to have done a 180 on the acceptance of gays and lesbians.
I would need more information on both before deciding. As a gay man myself, I can assure you there are plenty of gays who are corrupt jerks--as much as in any other segment of the population.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:51 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,326,823 times
Well, I don't know what a gay President would mean specifically. Perhaps they would push the "no discrimination" agenda but that's preferable to a religious agenda in the my mind. It's hard to know with such a broad brush as "gay" since it's not a dogma, but "evangelist" is well defined and we do know what that means. I'd take my chances on the gay President.

It's not the same if someone identified as "Christian" though. It's specific to the word "evangelist".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies