Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 02:51 PM

105 posts, read 106,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I just want to know: why the hysteria over gays? Christians view other things as sinful, why aren't they up in arms about ills in our society?

I mean look at how our politicians lie and steal, that's a sin. You never see conservative Christians get up in arms about THAT.

OR the divorce rate in America, something Jesus spoke specifically about, and somehow that is up to interpretation.
Of course Christians uproar on other sins such as Murder, Israel, and various other sins in society.

Gay Marriage seems to always be in the forefront in the media, since it has more shock factor.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:56 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,226,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The only issue I have with gay folks is that they've stolen our rainbows. You can't display a rainbow flag or window decal these days without someone bringing up gay. Sigh! They also seem to think we care who they sleep with. I don't think they are really gonna be accepted as mainstream until they quit being in your face about it. Hey, for that matter, they stole the word "gay" in the first place. Back mid-century, "gay" used to mean happy and frivolous. So, as a tribe, they seem a bit light fingered, but that should go along really well as a politician.

Now IMHO evangelical folks are very scary. To me it seems that their levels of intolerance are widespread and they'd like to cover much more than just the folks in their specific religion. Give them the power of politics and they'd be able to go way overboard with it.
I totally agree. Forty years ago, President Jimmy Carter ran as a "born again Christian" and some people questioned his religious views, but Carter always kept his personal religion out of the political arena and never tried to impose those views on the country although he was a very committed Christian as his post-presidential life has shown.

I have little doubt that the current crop of political idiots from the Religious Right would relish forcing their religious views on the country in the name of "religious freedom" because they don't respect anybody's beliefs but their own.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
A gay president wouldn't try to convert the country to homosexuality. An evangelical would try to convert the country to Christianity, and there are too many versions of that.

What do people see wrong with being a Christian? We don't claim to be perfect, were as human as everybody else.

We have faults and issues like everybody else, we just depend on God in every area in our life.

With the different corrupt Churches that are out there, getting nationwide negative attention it makes other Christians who out there doing amazing things in their community and all around the world in different nations look as if they're the problem.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Huh? Do you honestly not realize that religions change their viewpoints, too? You think the Christianity you believe in today looks is the same as in past generations? Why do you think progress is only something governments are capable of? Sure, religions commonly attract people who are more traditional/close minded, but eventually even religions have to catch up to society or they become extinct.
The Bible does NOT change in Viewpoints, that is where Christianity fundamentals stem from.
and also
People being Close-minded choosing to Worship is a Huge Generalization.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,804,557 times
Most Christian religions are not anti-gay rights. It is the over the top fundamentalists that scare every one, including the rest of us Christians (yes I am one) that are not always going overboard.

There are two really scary religious groups in this country, and both are radical. This the radical fundamentalist Christians, and the radical fundamentalist Muslims. Both want to be in charge of how the country is run, and convert the whole country to their way of thinking. Both hate gay people.

The majority of people in this country, would gather up as many votes for the other side as they possibly can.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
A gay president wouldn't try to convert the country to homosexuality. An evangelical would try to convert the country to Christianity, and there are too many versions of that.
Examples Please.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:13 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,928,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post

What do people see wrong with being a Christian? We don't claim to be perfect, were as human as everybody else.

We have faults and issues like everybody else, we just depend on God in every area in our life.

With the different corrupt Churches that are out there, getting nationwide negative attention it makes other Christians who out there doing amazing things in their community and all around the world in different nations look as if they're the problem.
K-Train there is nothing wrong with being Christian but those that seek to convert others I prefer not to associate with, an evangelist by definition is one that seeks to convert others to the Christian faith by public preaching, that isn't someone I would vote for since I prefer to have as little religious influence in government as possible.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:46 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,006,534 times
Per the article: "Somebody should really inform Texas, Louisiana, Indiana, and Arkansas. And Kansas. And Florida."

Considering gay marriage is also legal in Indiana, Kansas, and Florida, that 61% figure seems low to me

Old 05-09-2015, 05:29 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,875,284 times
Quote:

Oh, stop it.

What a sampling of people say they'd do, and what they do, are often different things.

And an "LGBT" candidate....Wow. That's specific.

Those pushing this agenda for barely 1.5% of the population shouldn't be cheering yet because Americans won't be voting for an openly gay/"trans" candidate for president anytime soon. You can make book on that.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,593,358 times
Quote:
Examples Please.
Every evangelical ever. Isn't that what they DO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies