Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,473,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
It wasn’t even close. Sixty-one percent of respondents said the were either “enthusiastic” or “comfortable” with an LBGT as President, compared to 52 percent who said the same about an Evangelist.
As a gay man, I never thought America's attitude about us would change so greatly, and so affirmatively. Here in Providence, one of America's most progressive, diverse cities, and a truly gay-friendly place, we've had a gay mayor (who is now a gay member of congress), and gay marriage was enacted two years ago.

No turning back.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:02 PM

8,313 posts, read 8,727,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I just addressed this topic. A gay president would never let you forget he was gay; he would wear it on his lapel.
A gay president needn't to try to convert anyone. Too many people are fascinated with homosexuals as is and will jump at the chance to try it just to be a cool hipster.
Who the hell is fascinated with homosexuals?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:03 PM

2,953 posts, read 999,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
The Bible does NOT change in Viewpoints, that is where Christianity fundamentals stem from.
and also
People being Close-minded choosing to Worship is a Huge Generalization.
The Bible has no viewpoint only the people who read it have a viewpoint and there is nothing static about what Christians consider fundamental. The readers' viewpoint of the Bible has done nothing BUT change for at least 3500 years since the Hebrew Bible began its evolution.

By Bible lets assume you mean the new testament because if you want to talk about changes in viewpoint from now back to the beginning of the Hebrew Bible then forget about it.

Put aside changes in interpretation for a minute ... There's also the language translation issue. Early books were written in Aramaic then translated into Greek, Latin, English and German. Do you think the Bible you read today says exactly the same thing as the original Aramaic texts? Do you think the message you're reading is the same one that the early Judeans read, or the Greeks, the Romans or Martin Luther? Then there were events in history where religious leadership got together and basically told their followers what the Bible meant. The Synod of Carthage where tenets of Catholicism were canonized, i.e. established. Then later the reformation where Martin Luther laid out the principles of the Protestant faith ... Different beliefs all from roughly the same set of books. All of them thinking they were the ones who understood the fundamental truth of the Bible. The modern evangelical view that the message of the Bible is a fundamental constant and that they are the ones who have figured it out is beyond arrogant and is also probably very ignorant.

Last edited by Wee-Bey; 05-09-2015 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 06:03 PM

10,277 posts, read 6,376,443 times
Gay President? Sure. I would also rather have an Atheist President over an Evangelical one who thinks we should legislate this country into a Christian Theocracy. No, the Bible does not trump the Constitution.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,534,310 times
Going strictly by my long life experience, I have known many gay and lesbian people. I am straight. They have never tried to convert me. They have respected me for who I am and who I was.

I am not Christian. I have known many people of all Christian denominations. Some have tried to convert me. Every time someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas" they don't offend me but they are wishing me a representation of their religion and don't stop to think it might pushing their faith, although meant well, just a little bit on me.

The Christian candidates we have now don't hesitate to bring God into their campaigns. The gay candidates presently do not. Neither belongs in politics.

So of the two choices, I would prefer the person who has represented those who have the better potential of keeping their own personal lives out of their politics. That would definitely be the gay person.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
Examples Please.

Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority.

Pat Robertson.

What did they talk about after they entered the political arena?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,069,342 times
I need to point out, though, Evangelicals aren't the only Christians out there....some Christians love and accept gays and lesbians. The Episcopal Church comes to mind.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The gay guy will out himself whenever possible; is that keeping his sexuality out of the workplace?
The gay people I have worked with never really mentioned being gay. The most I ever would hear is if Jack would say "Bob and I went to a concert last night" or something like that. It was never ended with what they did or did not do when they got home, the same as a straight couple wouldn't share that.

I'm a Cultural Catholic, Republican and part of the libertarian wing, please don't put us all in the right wing nut job literal interpretation, no dinosaurs camp.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:52 PM

2,953 posts, read 999,564 times
Bottom line is I don't care for evangelists and I don't want to be lead by one. And lest you jump to the conclusion I'm talking about Christian evangelicals ... I'm not. There are all sorts of evangelists out there and while they may (or may not) have their place, they are one-note people that I don't care for and damn sure don't want leading my country.

For example - Have you ever met a gay man who you could describe as being 'professionally' gay? Of course you have. Someone for whom being gay was the focal point and driving force in their life. Where gay was the all too frequent topic of conversation, it drove their activities in life and centered their activism, defined their politics, culture, manner of speech etc. That's someone who I would call a gay evangelist.

I'm sure you have also met people who were 'professionally' black. Being black was what their life was all about and was the focus of their existence, politics, discussion etc. That's an evangelist as well.

Same thing for some Christians. The ones who can't stop spouting about it ... they eat sleep, breathe it and use it as their guide for all thoughts and moves in life. You can't beat it out of them with a stick. There are no other dimensions to them.

The above are examples of one dimensional evangelical people. They aren't interesting, aren't well rounded, usually aren't independent critical thinkers and are very predictable and dogmatic. Lousy material for a president. I don't want an 'evangelical' anything for president be it a gay, black, Christian, or a Spaniel rescue nut.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:07 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,026,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
As a gay man, I never thought America's attitude about us would change so greatly, and so affirmatively. Here in Providence, one of America's most progressive, diverse cities, and a truly gay-friendly place, we've had a gay mayor (who is now a gay member of congress), and gay marriage was enacted two years ago.

No turning back.
We have an openly lesbian mayor, who is on her THIRD term as mayor. And my fiancee and I live in TEXAS. Yes, people, you read this correctly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies