Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
An interesting revelation from the MJ legalization currently under way in my state has been how popular pot smoking is among denizens of the left. The Seattle City Attorney celebrated legalization by buying some pot and bringing it to the office.
Seattle's Attorney Pete Holmes Takes Pot To Work, Apologizes (And Smokes)

I guess that there is probably less alcohol consumption on the right due to the number of conservative Christians, but other than that I don't see a difference in right-wing vs. left wing boozing. But there is this huge dichotomy when it comes to marijuana use. No doubt there are some right-wing libertarians who indulge, but in my experience they are mostly ex-users. A local libertarian candidate here said that (paraphrase) 'we are gun-toting economists on drugs.' But like most Libertarians, if he ever used drugs it was probably over 30 years ago.

I asked a liberal/progressive friend who is a non-pot-smoker about this. He immediately agreed that it is far more prevalent on the left. He explained, "we're more relaxed; we're not as uptight as the right."

Why are so many on the left enamoured of smoking the wacky tobacky?
You pose the question as if smoking it is bad.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Where did I do that? Which phrase or sentence?

Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 PM

934 posts, read 595,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
For many conservatives, weed = evil

I remember In college some republican frat boys would rant against weed and call casual pot smokers pot heads, yet these frat boys would get wasted on beer every thurs, friday, and Sat religiously

Old 05-11-2015, 11:39 PM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
I know that during a radio show( out of Oregon) that many stoners called in when the topic was legalizing marijuana. Many or most were not exactly all there and some had some pretty goofy beliefs about it. I guess it would be like talking to a wino about Prohibition. You'd have a fun discussion but you wouldn't want the guy writing social policy for you.
Smoke in the privacy of your own home, use it medicinally, lets grow industrial hemp, but don't tell me it doesn't soften your brain if you smoke it constantly.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:41 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I know that during a radio show( out of Oregon) that many stoners called in when the topic was legalizing marijuana. Many or most were not exactly all there and some had some pretty goofy beliefs about it. I guess it would be like talking to a wino about Prohibition. You'd have a fun discussion but you wouldn't want the guy writing social policy for you.
Smoke in the privacy of your own home, use it medicinally, lets grow industrial hemp, but don't tell me it doesn't soften your brain if you smoke it constantly.
agreed with the bolded.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:43 PM

934 posts, read 595,210 times
Quote:
Booze does the same, should we treat it the same?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I'm basically libertarian, especially when it comes to social issues (I'm more fiscally conservative).

I don't care what people smoke, ingest, shoot up, or snort as long as they are consenting adults.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to have our prisons filled with people serving sentences for small drug related crimes, especially things like possession of small amounts. I also think we're missing out on some tax dollars as well as some quality controls, which are seriously lacking.

That doesn't mean I think ingesting any sort of mind altering substance on a regular basis is smart. In fact, personally I think it's sort of pathetic. But carry on.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:56 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
These are 2 separate issues. The tobacco industry has prospered on addicts of nicotine. Many die of lung, throat and tongue cancer. Nicotine will kill you and has no medicinal purposes. Pot on the other hand has always had medicinal purposes. And when have you heard of pot having the damaging effects that cigarettes have. Sorry, no irony at all
Actually, it may not be the cigarettes at all.........Years After Smokers Stop Beta-Carotene Supplements, Lung Cancer Deaths Up
Death Stalks Smokers in Beta-Carotene Study

Old 05-12-2015, 06:59 AM

463 posts, read 320,533 times
Quote:
And you gleaned that conclusion from "stoners" calling into a radio program?

Personally, I have 44 years of daily experience with the plant. I write computer programs, design sophisticated electronic equipment, run 3 different businesses, and lead a rich, full happy life.

My brain must be too soft to stay in my skull by now, so how do you account for that?

I am not the only one with stories like this. In fact there are millions of us you don't even know about yet. The true numbers will start to become known over the next decade as state after state legalizes cannabis, and these folks, which are your neighbors, coworkers, and professionals, start coming out of the closet for the first time in their lives. People whom you would have never expected.

In 1974, when I was 17, I was on the road playing bass with The Drifters. We had a standup comedian travelling with the show who was 50 years old at the time, and had been using cannabis for 35 years. Not only was his brain fine, but he is someone anyone would be proud to call a friend.

Life is full of stories like that.

Here is someone who is up to 50 years and counting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/13/ny...cely.html?_r=0

Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Interesting topic. I know marijuana smokers from both parties, but most opponents to mj legalization are from the right.

What interests me is that a lot of anti marijuana people are actually pretty hard/loyal drinkers. From my experiences as a college kid, I can't even tell you what marijuana even does (after trying it three times) except burn your throat. I'll have to try gummy bears next or something. With alcohol I have seen a lot of bad things that were caused simply by that drug.

I guess part of it is the hypocrisy of don't touch my booze, but you can rot in jail for another substance that's significantly less harmful, but it's not a part of my culture, so I disapprove.

Although I think marijuana is pretty well understood by most of the younger populace. It's other drugs like disassociatives and psychedelics that are really misunderstood IMO. Many people that are fine with legalizing pot, but would look at you like you are stupid if you would suggest legalizing PCP or ketamine, cause people still assume the myths of the past about disassociatives that are just as off course as the reefer madness myths. The same medical use argument for pot can be applied to disassociatives; from reports, they are looking to be some of the best antidepressants.
Wise up to the bill presented........legalization does not mean they will decriminalize mj. Legalization leaves no age limit and having to carry a 'medical card.' Most people I know on the right oppose it due to having to have a medical card. Why does a person have to carry a card to smoke? Down the road will they try to use peoples medical need for mj, as a reason the person can't own a firearm or vote.

Nothing is on the bill to release those sitting in prison for small mj offenses, why is that? I not talking releasing drug cartel types......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies