Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:15 AM

465 posts, read 614,155 times

Advertisements

Clicked on two idiotic threads in a row. Apparently our education system has been effective in eliminating critical thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Why do Democrats think what I earn belongs to the government?
You don't care to drive on roads, flush your waste down a sewer, have safe drugs and medical care, educate our children, have police and fire protection, have satellite assisted internet (which you are on now), have safety ensured in the workplace, etc.....?

Don't pay taxes but go live somewhere without using any of these things. I don't want to pay for infrastructure you use without wanting to pay for.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Instead they squander trillions in Iraq.

The last time Congress passed an Amtrak bill was after a fatal train crash - The Washington Post

In 2008, the Democrat-controlled Congress and the Bush White House were at odds over an Amtrak bill. Democrats wanted to double Amtrak’s budget. The Bush administration wanted to zero it out. A reauthorization bill had languished for years and funding was static.

Then in September, a commuter passenger rail train collided with a freight train in Los Angeles killing 25 people and injuring dozens. Suddenly, Congress did what it does best: React.

The subsidies for AMTRAK were not expected to last long. Decades later.....

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/us...inds.html?_r=0

A $9.50 hamburger on the train costs taxpayers $16,
What else do you need to know?

Old 05-13-2015, 10:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Don't pay taxes but go live somewhere without using any of these things. I don't want to pay for infrastructure you use without wanting to pay for.
I tell you what, I'll agree to fully pay for the roads I drive on as long as all the revenue directly related to their use is used for them. That would include fuel taxes, registration fees, parking fines, speeding and other tickets, sales tax on cars, sales tax on parts, title transfer fees............

Old 05-13-2015, 10:25 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Write your congressional leaders to pass this bill!

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s268

Thanks for fighting to improve our infrastructure here in Americamm and look for this as a priority of the 2016 presidential candidates.
And the Good News IS ..... this boondoggle has only a 4% chance of ever becoming law.

Read the Library of Congress Summary

The 'Unintended Consequences' for the Far Leftists is that their Trillion Dollar Boondoggle Stimulus Bill in 2009 proved to be such a Disaster, and showed the American people what happens with one of these Massive 2500 page bills that NOBODY ever read ...... it's unlikely to happen again.

Trust is Lost - we are NOT going there again.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:30 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Instead they squander trillions in Iraq."

Either you are VERY ignorant on the issues or are very biased.

ALL the MAJOR dems of the time voted FOR Bush to take any actions he deemed necessary.

Keep in mind the DEMS controlled the Senate and as we saw with harry reid as Senate Majority Leader in control he could STOP ANY LEGISLATURE HE WANTED TO.

Tom Dashele was the DEM SML at the time and could have killed the bill. Instead, he CO-SPONSORED THE BILL.

The DEMS in the SENATE supported the financing for IRAQ.

In the House the DEM Minority Leader also co-sponsored the bill.

Do we have to keep posted the names of ALL the top DEMS who vited FOR the bill.

Ff course some lefties come back with Bush signed the bill and TOOK the ACTIONS.

No one is denying Bush gave the order but, MANY on the left want to ignore the pat the dems played.

To repeat WITHOUT the DEM SUPPORT Bush couldn't do anything.

Now to your issue of infrastructure. You have to be more specific. There are all kinds of "infrastructure" and who is responsible for it.

The bottom line is that talk is cheap.

Yes, Hillary and other Democrats could have voted against authorizing war, but then she and others would be responsible for whatever happened if no preemptive action was taken and terrorism was traced back to Iraq at any time following that vote.

As for the "invest in infrastructure" crap, when "invest in infrastructure" is no longer code for launder embezzled tax money through public sector unions on its way to Democrat election campaigns or reward friends of office holders with my money, I`ll consider the matter.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:46 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Maybe even more NYC-income tax money will help Democrat projects:

No books, no clue at city’s worst school | New York Post

Yeah, but if we "invest in infrastructure", Sills could put in more overtime and that would solve problems like Democrats not getting enough kickbacks from private sector unions.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 AM

335 posts, read 424,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Why do Democrats think what I earn belongs to the government?
Why do Republicans want to squander what I earn in Iraq and Iran?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:31 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
You think you can stay in topic to the ops question? Why hasn't the republican controlled congress invested in our crumbling infrastructure and instead will continue too waste money on wars? Oh and if I remember right while the dems controlled the Senate the pubs controlled the house, the same house btw who are the ones who control the purse strings.
Do you think you can follow along? YOU POST, " and instead will continue too waste money on wars?" THEN want to accuse MY of going off topic.

The OP brought up Iraq.

I asked the OP so now I will ask you.

Define what YOU mean by infrastructure. It covers a lot.

Be specific.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:34 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
It beats me. The Chinese are crushing us on infrastructure, education and manufacturing. Meanwhile people in the US sit around squawking about guns and gay marriage.

Is it any surprise we're falling behind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies