Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 07:46 AM

493 posts, read 385,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Debatable, but you could also argue that Christianity has been violent since about when Constantine integrated it into the brutal wars of the Roman Empire in the year 312:

Constantine the Great and Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, worst case, both religions have been causing havoc for well over 1,000 years.

The truth is less exciting in that there have been good leaders and bad of all faiths, but it is nothing but laughable ignorance of history to claim that Islam is "evil" and Christianity is "good" when you start looking at body count produced in the name of both religions over the ages.
How about you compare the and life and teachings of Christ vs. Muhammad? You'll be shocked after reading the Koran and the Sunnah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
How about you compare the and life and teachings of Christ vs. Muhammad? You'll be shocked after reading the Koran and the Sunnah.
Much of the Q'ran is taken from the Old Testament. Christ would have teaching from the Old Testament (the New Testament didn't come along for a couple hundred years). What shocks me is that you didn't realize how much of the Q'ran is Old Testament. Hmmmm.....

Old 05-14-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's simple...how did African Americans become Christians? This ain't hard. Come on.
Just like many other Christians; saw the light and beauty of Christianity. Why wouldn't anyone want to follow his teachings?!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Much of the Q'ran is taken from the Old Testament. Christ would have teaching from the Old Testament (the New Testament didn't come along for a couple hundred years). What shocks me is that you didn't realize how much of the Q'ran is Old Testament. Hmmmm.....
Koran and Old Testament are still different from each other in many ways because Muslims sees the Quran as miracle and it contains Sunnah (sayings and teachings of Muhammad) while the OT does not mention Muhammad. Anyhow Christians follow the New Testament, Jews the Old Testament/Torah. I don't see you bash Judaism at all if your point is that the OT contains violent verses.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Some versions of Christianity are based on peace and love. Others aren't. Who decides which version of Christianity is the right version, and which the erroneous version?
Jesus.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:12 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
No really...he didn't.

As a Rabbi, he was a practicing Jew.

Moreover, if he said "he who has seen him," what's that got to do with me? I've NEVER seen him.

Sure, folks claimed that they've seen him, but that's only hearsay to me. I saw nothing.

What I do see is a lot of gum flapping and rank hypocrisy by the very people that claim to believe so much in him.

I didn't tell you to deny anything. He may have died for your sins (whatever that means), but he didnt die for mine.

Color of skin is important because the only reason why African Americans are Christians is because their slave masters were Christians. Why would I believe in the same faith of the people that enslaved my ancestors in a brutal fashion?

That's like a Jew subscribing to Nazism. It ain't logical.
Yet, some of the best gospel music comes from black Christians......go figure!

Many have told stories of holding on to Jesus while the white man tried to break them. Seems you have only read about one side of your culture.......the hate side.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:00 AM

676 posts, read 988,936 times
Quote:
Making this country a Christian nation AGAIN is a scary thought.

We've dumped Slavery and Jim Crow already...two large components of Christianity, and now we're finally giving Gay rights a fair shake. Not fast enough, but we're getting there. Not to mention women's rights, suffrage, etc....

I don't wanna go back into the dark old days of being a Christian Nation.
words cannot express my anger at your stupidity

Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default If America Became a Christian Nation ...

It would resemble the sunni vs shia unrest in the middle east.

Because splinter groups within religions seem to never stop bickering over "who are the TRUE (choose one) Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc" and they'd continually be at odds over who's in power.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:19 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
words cannot express my anger at your stupidity
Why? It's not technically untrue.

Have you ever looked at a Bible? It's full of slavery, cruelty, rape, murder, and even genocide (Noah's ark; a story told to children as if it's a good thing because it ends in a rainbow). There is some good, like charity, generosity, and wisdom, but what it comes down is that the Bible is neither good nor evil and history confirms this. There were abolitionists using the Bible to justify their views and slavers using the Bible to justify their views.

The Bible is a 3,000 year old text, riddled with self contradiction and absurdity. We do not want it being part of the government. Ever.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Why? It's not technically untrue.

Have you ever looked at a Bible? It's full of slavery, cruelty, rape, murder, and even genocide (Noah's ark; a story told to children as if it's a good thing because it ends in a rainbow). There is some good, like charity, generosity, and wisdom, but what it comes down is that the Bible is neither good nor evil and history confirms this. There were abolitionists using the Bible to justify their views and slavers using the Bible to justify their views.

The Bible is a 3,000 year old text, riddled with self contradiction and absurdity. We do not want it being part of the government. Ever.
You mean the Torah, the Jewish Bible? Doesn't apply to Christ' teachings and Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies