Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:47 PM

934 posts, read 595,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Really?? Racial discrimination is not a tenet of Christianity. Please stop the nonsense.

Did you read my reply - the article is not representative of Christianity.
Didnt Christian nations.support slavery for.many years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 01:51 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiBelle View Post
Uhh, there's a difference between a Christian nation and a Christian Government. Just look at the middle Eastern countries with Sharia law.... law based on their religion with no separation between religion and government. I don't hear of anyone in the US wanting a Christian Government.

Really? You must be really deaf.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:56 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Baloney; you're missing the most important information, history and facts from 7th Century Islam.

Islam and Forced Conversion <<< Read.
No, he is correct. Early Islam was far more tolerant than Christianity at that time period. It's been a flip flop since then though. Showing quotes from the koran doesn't really prove your point either. I could easily bring up quotes that show YHWH as a psychopathic neurotic manic if I wanted.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:58 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
You're misunderstanding the slavery quote found in the Bible. NT does in no way support any slavery.

Slaves under the Mosaic Law were different from the harshly treated slaves of other societies; they were more like servants or bond servants. The Bible doesn’t give an endorsement of slave traders but just the opposite (1 Timothy 1:10). A slave/bond servant was acquired when a person voluntarily entered into it when he needed to pay off his debts. The Bible recognizes that slavery is a reality in this sin-cursed world and doesn’t ignore it, but instead gives regulations for good treatment by both masters and servants and reveals they are equal under Christ. Israelites could sell themselves as slaves/bond servants to have their debts covered, make a wage, have housing, and be set free after six years. Foreigners could sell themselves as slaves/bond servants as well. Biblical Christians led the fight to abolish harsh slavery in modern times.
You just proved that it supports it my friend. Giving laws to regulate the practice is the same thing as giving your blessing. So you can stop trying to twist it into a non support role right now.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
1 Peter 2:18 - Servants (or slaves), be submissive to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and gentle, but also to those who are unreasonable.

What does that have to do with the KKK and Jim Crow? Because they may have used those words to justify slavery? Can we agree on something... Slaves existed then, and slaves exist today. The KKK did not own the patent to slavery. And the Bible is simply stating that slavery exists - and if you were a slave in that day (or any day), conduct yourself in a Christ-like manner. The text is focusing on the demeanor of the slaves. And here - let me give you a bonus text.

Colossians 3:22-24 - Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.

There's another area of the world back then when slaves were in existence, and the focus was on the conduct. But read further...

Colossians 4:1 - Masters, grant to your slaves justice and fairness, knowing that you too have a Master in heaven.

Did the "Christian" KKK follow those instructions? Nope.

Let's just understand that slavery existed before the KKK - and is exists today, although not in America . What made the KKK evil, was not the mere existence of slaves, but how the slaves, and blacks in general, were treated - which was very un-Christian. The Bible is merely reflecting what was occurring in that day - which was the fact that people were slaves. You can read up on Philemon also - that's an account of a slave returning to its owner. Tell me if it sounds like anything out of the KKK.

I'm sure this will mean nothing to you and you will continue your verbal assault as though Christians behead people on a daily basis. Enjoy.
The verse says slaves. Verses say master.

All can be used to justify slavery and WAS used to do just that.

You said come up with a verse, but now you're mad.

Like I said, it's a pro slavery faith. And African Americans such as myself would be a fool to practice the same religion of the people that enslaved my ancestors and used their faith to do so.

And I'm far from a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Ummm.....we're supposed to ignore that fact.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:05 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Christian nations... ?

I don't know. The Bible is neutral on slavery - it only notes that some people were slaves, and told them how to behave.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:08 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The verse says slaves. Verses say master.

All can be used to justify slavery and WAS used to do just that.

You said come up with a verse, but now you're mad.

Like I said, it's a pro slavery faith. And African Americans such as myself would be a fool to practice the same religion of the people that enslaved my ancestors and used their faith to do so.

And I'm far from a fool.

Ummm.....we're supposed to ignore that fact.
Mad - not really - I gave you extra verses - what do you want from me?

I can't stop you from believing what you want to believe. Christianity is neutral on slavery. It is more focused on one's demeanor and attitude - things that go beyond this earth as it exists.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:08 PM

934 posts, read 595,654 times
Quote:
Christian nations... ?

I don't know. The Bible is neutral on slavery - it only notes that some people were slaves, and told them how to behave.
Yeah Christian nations, never heard of them???

Old 05-13-2015, 02:12 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
USA: This Is What America Would Be Like As a Christian Nation

Wow....NICE! Its also WHY this country has gone down the crapper as well. Not because we are a christian nation but because so many of our politicians are christians and think that's how our countries policies are to be issued. Please read the article before commenting! Its also a good chunk of why I am NOT a christian and never will be. Christianity welcomes invaders,loves their enemies and just is all around not the kind of religion I would want my nation to be built upon.
This guy may have a Masters in Theology but he clearly knows nothing about the Bible or actual Christianity.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:13 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
Yes I read it. The author has a degree in Theology...so.....
Which is approximately the worth of a Masters in Gender Studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies