Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,417,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Random Parent.

I will save you some time.

The Fenians, a early version of the Irish Republican Army.

link. Fenian Brotherhood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Images of the Fenian Brotherhood. link https://www.google.ca/search?q=the+f...w=1280&bih=591

The Fenians were a very large organisation, with at least 50,000 members, mainly in the northeast States. A large majority of them had served in the Union Army, during the Civil War. They were a serious danger to Canada, and they were tolerated by the US Government, mainly due to hostility to Britain`s aid to the Confederacy during the war.

One of the modern day Canadian Forces reserve infantry battalions in Toronto, The Queens Own Rifles, carry their very first battle honour, from The Fenian Raids. Some of the Canadian Forces units in Quebec also carry that battle honour on their Regimental colours. We remember.

The Fenians were penetrated by Canadian agents, who attended the meetings in Buffalo, and Chicago. The plans were known well in advance of the planned raids into Canada. The fact that the meetings were also scenes of heavy drinking.....is also not unexpected, and I am of Irish descent ( grin ) so I can say that.

Jim B.
I've read quite a bit about them this afternoon thanks to your inspiration. Lots of good stuff I had not encountered before. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 07:55 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,465,732 times
Oldglory.

In your own words " I know lots about American history ". I call that a boast.

Come on, tell us all about your knowledge, I even gave you a couple of questions to answer.

Jim B.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,937,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Every new generation is faced with increasing expectations for history education, because the clock never stops ticking. Furthermore, as our nation's demographics and political entanglements change, the breadth of relevance changes with it.

In another thread, a teacher correctly pointed out that the average C-Der's grandparents had up to a century less American history to master in the same amount of time students do today. It's an overwhelming amount of information, so we curate, and that's where the conflicts arise.

One person wants the the Revolution studied in depth, while another wants the Civil War. Yet another has a hissy, because we're giving short shrift to Westward Expansion. And, oh yes, we must spend half of seventh grade teaching the Holocaust! ...

Wait! Did the students cover The Magna Carta? Can we shoe-horn that into Freshman English as a exercise in close reading of primary sources? ...

Where do we find the time? History is a subject never truly covered. I have learned more in the last decade of personal research than I ever did as a student, and I have always loved history, so I'm in no hurry to chastise America's young people for not knowing everything there is to know. Neither do I.
i agree that a complete history cant be taught in primary schools today, and i also agree that certain compromises must be made, that isnt my point. my point is that the government is constantly rewriting the history text books, to the point where they are no longer accurate with the information they do provide.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:05 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,465,732 times
Random Parent.

You are very welcome.

Here are a few more to keep you interested.

A Union Army unit in the civil war, that was NEVER in any battle.... but the entire unit received the Medal of Honor, all 864 of them. The 27th Maine Regiment. Look it up. The Medals were not rescinded until 1917, by an act of Congress.

Around 100,000 men from what was then known as British North America, now Ontario and Quebec, served in the US army in the civil war. Many were being PAID to fill the place of a wealthy young American, who had been drafted. The standard bounty was 400 to one thousand dollars if the stand in was a killed in battle. That is where the term " He bought the farm" comes from......The money was enough to buy a 125 acre farm in Canada, at that time.

The man who later wrote the music for Oh Canada, our national anthem, Calaxa Lavalle, served as the band master for a New York State Regiment. Three of the Union Army General's had previously been Generals in the British Army.

Jim B.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:05 PM

63,156 posts, read 29,323,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Oldglory.

In your own words " I know lots about American history ". I call that a boast.

Come on, tell us all about your knowledge, I even gave you a couple of questions to answer.

Jim B.
Facts aren't boasting. Did you forget the claims of the topic heading here that many Americans don't know our history? I guess according to you by me saying yes I do (a fact) that's boasting?

Not interested in playing your silly games either. I don't have to prove anything to you as I am not a liar. You're a Canadian citizen so what's it to you anyway?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
No, things have not gotten worse; they are simply more demanding because time marches on. History teachers evaluate and re-evaluate what should be taught, because, as I pointed out in another post, the time to teach these things is limited. Curriculum are modified to meet the requirements associated with changing demographics and political entanglements.

History cannot be taught without spin. History is spin.
Exactly! I remember when my older daughter was taking AP US History. At Back to School night the teacher, who was the greatest, said "Do I teach to the test? You bet I do!" There's just so much US history you can cover in a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Again, tell the truth about the men who founded this country. They weren't saints, they didn't have halos, they were human beings. It doesn't diminish what they accomplished. It doesn't make the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution any less valid. I don't understand why humanizing these men is in any way disrespectful.
I don't particularly like the current fad to make it sound like these guys were a bunch of sleazes. I'm not for idolizing, but good gravy! We're ALL multi-dimensional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I know all about American history but I choose to live in the present unlike some that want to beat up on Americans alive today that played no role in the past good or bad.
“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” Said by many.
Quotes About Doomed To Repeat It (10 quotes)

Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,857,006 times
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana - Wikiquote

Old 05-18-2015, 08:16 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,349,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is true. Most people don't realize that Mao and Stalin both killed more people than Hitler. Mao killed more than twice as many as Hitler.
They had larger populations to work with(just being glib).

Big difference, neither Mao nor Stalin built and operated an industrial system for the expressed intent to committ mass murder.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,421,869 times
in school for tweleve years it was always the pilgrims to just before the war of 1812, never got pass the war of 1812, so anything after that, never happen. hey i dont make the rules, that how it was for 12 years, wasnt for tv, i would never new they was a civil war. everything on ww2 i learned from hogan heroes

Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 PM

63,156 posts, read 29,323,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana - Wikiquote
That's just plain silly with no basis whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies