Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 12:00 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this meets the medical diagnosis of pedophilia, but if pedophilia affects ~4% of the population, it wouldn't exactly be shocking if at least one Duggar family suffered from it. I'm not sure we can make any connections between how their children are raised leading to pedophilia. Pedophiles probably come from all sorts of familes - from the most liberal to the most conservative.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,980 times
heck yes these breeders are finally off tv hopefully for good.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 PM

733 posts, read 852,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Even if people aren't saying it's okay, there seems to be an undercurrent of "well, all families have issues and this is just an issue."

And all families DO have issues, but incest is a HUGE issue. It's not just a matter of Mom or Dad having too much to drink occasionally, or Uncle Sid did some time in jail for securities fraud. That people seem so quick to shrug it off is disturbing.

I think you are misunderstanding my remarks.

It's common. Ask the counselors you know. Too common.

Common does NOT equal okay. Common does not equal normal. Common does not equal non-damaging.

There seem to be two "fights" going on in this thread. One group is seemingly pro-Duggars and supporting the "no family is perfect" excuse they used, and one group is trying to get across that molestation is more common than many think, and don't accept the "no family is perfect" excuse!!!

Posters are confusing the latter group with the former. By saying it's more common than people think, I'm attempting to get it out there that this happens in all social levels, in all faiths, in all towns and countries.

It's never okay!

Old 05-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
heck yes these breeders are finally off tv hopefully for good.
Why should they be taken off TV? If anything, this just makes it easier for fans of the show to relate to them (most of which have had some sort of family problems).

Old 05-22-2015, 12:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post

Common does NOT equal okay. Common does not equal normal. Common does not equal non-damaging.

There seem to be two "fights" going on in this thread. One group is seemingly pro-Duggars and supporting the "no family is perfect" excuse they used, and one group is trying to get across that molestation is more common than many think, and don't accept the "no family is perfect" excuse!!!

Posters are confusing the latter group with the former. By saying it's more common than people think, I'm attempting to get it out there that this happens in all social levels, in all faiths, in all towns and countries.

It's never okay!
Got it. Thank you.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:12 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
LOL at so many people using this as a way to take shots at the family and everything they stand for..."I always thought they were creepy....blah, blah, blah".
Let's see, what DO they stand for?

Incest
Sexually assaulting small children
Lying
Evading justice
Hypocrisy

I guess those things are all okay in your book?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post

It's never okay!
Well said. Those looking to pin this to a certain lifestyle are no better than those that would say a gay child molester speaks to how gays need to repent for their sins.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Let's see, what DO they stand for?

Incest
Lying
Evading justice
Hypocrisy

I guess those things are all okay in your book?
Where exactly did they say they stood for:

Incest
Lying
Evading justice
Hypocrisy

??

Have you ever told a lie? Do you stand for lying? What else do you stand for?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
TLC Pulls '19 Kids And Counting' From Lineup

You knew it was coming.

Next stop: cancellation.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
There is molestation in many more families than anyone would like to believe. It is NEVER discussed, but it is there. It is done by fathers, brothers, uncles, grandfathers, family friends, clergy, anyone with access. And is even done by females to males, and females to other females. None of it is ever discussed.

But I agree with an earlier post, the Duggars are no different than any other family.

Did they handle this well? They didn't handle it the way I would, but it's easy for us, in retrospect, to say what they should have done and what we would have done.

I don't know them, they're family & I don't know the truth of the situation. I'm not in a position to judge.
They judged others. I'm judging them. They were wrong in the way they handled this situation. They were also wrong in the way they lied to the world about how perfect they were, how they had all the answers and how Godly they were.

The Duggars most certainly are different my family and many of the ones I know. We don't go around judging non-Christians, homosexuals or other Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies