Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 11:11 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
There were never cameras 24/7. Filming happened about 3x per week for a few hours at a time, one of those days being mostly interviews.

I know. I guess when the cameras were not there, Jim Bob got to administer Perls style beatings to his children - from infants to young adults - using 1/4 inch plumbing tubing.

In some ways the camera and crew may have provided some respite for these children.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:14 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,418,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The Quiverful movement and Bill Gothard's weird programs is some scary, cult-like stuff. If daylight is the best disinfectant, well - Duggar senior sought out the media attention, now he got it.
We are not on the same page. My issue is not with either Christian fundamentalism or those who think Christian fundamentalism is unhealthy. It is with those who rejoice in someone else's misfortune, as a few on this thread are unquestionaby doing.

schadenfreude - Wiktionary

schadenfreude - Malicious enjoyment derived from observing someone else's misfortune.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I can't wait until this entire family just completely falls apart before our eyes. It's going to happen.
That's pretty mean. I don't agree with this family on a lot of things and they obviously have their negatives. Regardless, they are still a family. Whether I agree with their belief system or not, I do believe they are a loving family and the kids are trying to live a good, wholesome life. I'd like the Duggars to see happiness and goodness and be able to keep intact the positive qualities of a loving family.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
We are not on the same page. My issue is not with either Christian fundamentalism or those who think Christian fundamentalism is unhealthy. It is with those who rejoice in someone else's misfortune, as a few on this thread are unquestionaby doing.

schadenfreude - Wiktionary

schadenfreude - Malicious enjoyment derived from observing someone else's misfortune.
No one is rejoicing in the fact that 5 little girls were sexually assaulted, and subsequently received no much needed counseling. No one is rejoicing in the fact that a teenage boy who committed pathological sexual acts on his sisters received no meaningful intervention.

Some people are pointing out the hypocrisy of a person making public statements accusing an entire demographic as being likely to sexually abuse children when her own son was already doing so.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:25 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,655,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I know. I guess when the cameras were not there, Jim Bob got to administer Perls style beatings to his children - from infants to young adults - using 1/4 inch plumbing tubing.

In some ways the camera and crew may have provided some respite for these children.
You have fallen prey to the liberal MSM who wants you to celebrate Caitlyn Jenner and banish this family for who they are. No children were "beaten". The lies that have been spread and assumptions made, on this thread alone, about these people is absolutely ridiculous. It's obvious some of you don't care what is the truth and what is media sensationalism, you still are having a blast hating this family.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No one is rejoicing in the fact that 5 little girls were sexually assaulted, and subsequently received no much needed counseling. No one is rejoicing in the fact that a teenage boy who committed pathological sexual acts on his sisters received no meaningful intervention.

Some people are pointing out the hypocrisy of a person making public statements accusing an entire demographic as being likely to sexually abuse children when her own son was already doing so.
Lies again, yes they did. Although it doesn't matter how many times you are told this, you will still keep going back to media sensationalism as it makes it easier to hate this family. They all received counseling with a licensed counselor. Josh was also sent away for a summer with a Christian mentor who specialized with teens who needed help. They were put to work while they were there, but it was not a summer of work and fun. The work was just part of the program.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Lies again, yes they did. Although it doesn't matter how many times you are told this, you will still keep going back to media sensationalism as it makes it easier to hate this family. They all received counseling with a licensed counselor. Josh was also sent away for a summer with a Christian mentor who specialized with teens who needed help. They were put to work while they were there, but it was not a summer of work and fun. The work was just part of the program.
A licensed counselor would be a mandatory reporter. Please explain how the family saw a licensed counselor and yet no reports were filed?

Last edited by Zimbochick; 06-07-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
A licensed counselor would be a mandatory reporter. Please explain how the family saw a licensed counselor and yet the no reports were filed?
I cannot answer that. The Duggars stated very clearly that all were treated by a licensed counselor. Maybe that counselor can answer why it wasn't reported?

Old 06-07-2015, 11:44 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,418,902 times
Quote:

It's not that, Zimbochick. There have been 3-4 posts (maybe more--I probably missed some since I got in well after this thread started) that very clearly give the message that the post-er is maliciously delighted to be witnessing the "fall from grace" (if you will) of the Duggar family.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:45 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
No they didn't. Licensed counselors are mandated reporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies