Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:25 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,819 times

Advertisements

I am disgusted by the politics of America, both right and left. But I love America because it has given me a chance to be free and try to help make things better in some way.

God Bless all of the soldiers who fought for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 12:37 PM

934 posts, read 595,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
according to who here on CD? Was there a poll taken I didn't see, asking vets if they want to be thanked for what they have done for us?
Thank them on veterans day not memorial day

unless the vet you are thanking has fallen, you are thanking the wrong vets.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:30 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Who said pride is a vice? Just because some like to show their pride and others choose to remain in the background doesn't make either wrong. It is like the person who chooses to wear a cross if they are Christian or a Star of David if they are Jewish. This doesn't make them wrong or showing off. Others do not choose to make their feeling public.
Every literate Christian should know that pride is a vice as per Proverbs 16:18.

http://www.rc.net/wcc/virtues/pride.htm

The Vice of Pride

It's ironic really.
For all the talk of the U.S. being a Christian nation. as a people, our prideful behavior is off the charts.
Never is it more obvious than when trumpeting our military might, particularly on those days when we should be quietly reflective.

It's Memorial Day people. It's not "pound your chest and brag" day.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:23 PM

934 posts, read 595,771 times
Quote:
Who said pride is a vice? Just because some like to show their pride and others choose to remain in the background doesn't make either wrong. It is like the person who chooses to wear a cross if they are Christian or a Star of David if they are Jewish. This doesn't make them wrong or showing off. Others do not choose to make their feeling public.
Bible says so, book of proverbs , one of the deadly sins. Im not.even a.Christian and I know that

Old 05-25-2015, 12:38 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Patriotism is loyalty and devotion to one’s country, which is manifested in the faithful performance of one’s civic duty. Unhappily, there are many that equate patriotism with grandstand shouts and cheers and flag-waiving, rather than fulfilling their responsibilities as citizens. True patriots are those that sacrifice themselves for the sake of their county; false patriots are those that would make a sacrifice of their country for their own sake.

Patriotism is not loyalty and devotion to one's country. It is actually a devotion to a people, a culture, or a way-of-life.

Patriotism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As George Orwell said of patriotism in comparison to nationalism...

Quote:
"Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. Both words are normally used in so vague a way that any definition is liable to be challenged, but one must draw a distinction between them, since two different and even opposing ideas are involved. By "patriotism" I mean devotion to a particular place and a particular way of life, which one believes to be the best in the world but has no wish to force on other people. Patriotism is of its nature defensive, both militarily and culturally. Nationalism, on the other hand, is inseparable from the desire for power.

The abiding purpose of every nationalist is to secure more power and more prestige, not for himself but for the nation or other unit in which he has chosen to sink his own individuality."

What you are really alluding to, is more "nationalism" than "patriotism". In fact, if you understand America, then one of the most patriotic things you can do as an American, it to take up arms against her.

One doesn't have to be patriotic to "The United States". You can be patriotic to any subset within America. One might be patriotic to the culture, values, way-of-life, or territory of a single state, or even a part of a single-state(a county, city, or something even smaller).

I mean, I find myself to be quite the patriot. But I'm largely loyal more to an idea, than I am to anything resembling modern America. I love Thomas Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence. I'm a classical liberal. I'm patriotic in regards to my appreciation for the founding fathers, the enlightenment, Jeffersonian Democracy, etc.

Ron Paul: Secession Is an American Principle |

The blind obedience that most people think is patriotism, is the exact opposite of patriotism. The Declaration of Independence is patriotism.

Declaration of Independence - Text Transcript

Old 05-25-2015, 01:00 AM

13,271 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Stop glorifying the military and all its unjust actions
Its a gubberment jobs program that makes us all poorer, less safe and destroys families.

Are you actually bashing dead veterans that have been killed in action.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:49 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Are you actually bashing dead veterans that have been killed in action.
Grow up. Nothing he said could possibly be assumed to be bashing dead veterans. He is obviously bashing the government.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:18 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
God bless our fallen heroes and their families.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:25 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,120,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I am ashamed of the American right who cheer every time we go off to unjust wars started by politicians who never served in a war themselves.

Unfortunately many of those who died in war didn't die defending our freedoms, they died at the hands of politicians who don't know and don't give a crap about those who are lost.
+1

I have always said that if any politician voting in favor of a war must, by law, send a close relative (son, daughter, cousin, grandson, granddaughter, nephew, niece, etc.) in the infantry, there will be no more wars. It's soooooo easy to be a tough guy when someone else's kid is getting killed, or losing limbs or sustaining irreversible brain damage.

Mick

Old 05-25-2015, 07:59 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...SRlQPD6XiwThis Memorial Day weekend, please thank a Vet for his service, and pray for the safety of those still in harms way. Also pray for our country, which is in need of restoration. Our core values and principles, even our Constitution is under assault every day. Let's reflect on those who have fought and died for Freedom and Liberty, not only for ourselves, but for others yearning to be free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=sSRlQPD6Xiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=oB25pp9HaDc

My eyes tear up when I hear the Navy Hymn.
Memorial day has nothing to due with the constitution being under attack each day, so there is no need to interject politics. Memorial day isn't even for veterans, we have veterans day for that. It's to remember service men/women killed in action. RIP to the brave souls that past...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies