Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:07 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, you have offended many. I come from a family who served in wars since the beginning of our country and I thank them for what they did to keep us free. My dad, all my uncles, my brother in law and our son have served. Some long enought to retire, others just during war time, but they still served and they di it willingly.

Nita
The fact is that between Vietnam and Afghanistan, most people joined to get away from where they were or to get the benefits that were being doled out by the government in exchange for 4 years of military service. Don't be offended by that. It was the norm. I knew of many people who joined just for those reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 01:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Coming to an understanding of one`s inevitable mortality, as we all do at some point in life, people tend to look for ways to make the short time spent on this Earth matter.

For many of us, our love for our country and our hope to make the US more secure from her enemies motivated us to enlist in the military.

By doing this, the nation benefits from our service, the freedom loving world is more stable and our short time on Earth counts for something worthwhile.

As an alternative to military service, one might volunteer at a soup kitchen or food bank, deliver meals to the elderly, pull weeds, cut grass, shovel snow, read to kids...whatever the need happens to be.

In all these things an individual can make a difference in the lives of others and give meaning to their own.

Then there are the *******s who don`t know how to say "thank you" or at least shut the **** up.

I suppose it all comes down to initiative or the lack thereof.

When I was eighteen, I had the initiative to enlist in the US Marine Corps.

I wanted to do something in life that mattered.

If you don`t have that kind of initiative, if you are a dedicated non-hacker, then I suppose you might spend your short time on Earth talking **** about what those with balls and initiative do.
and I have to wonder how many of those here that put down the military have offered their services to soup kithens, food pantires, childrens hospitals, homes for women who have been abused or even simple things like mentoring at their near by elemenatary school helping kids who need a little extra love? I bet not many.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Since Islam (through al-Qaeda, ISIS, and The Muslim Brotherhood) has made clear its intention to destroy Western civilization, and especially Israel and the United States, our fight against Islamic terrorists (which is the fighting force of Islam) is a fight to defend our freedom. Your statement that they "died at the hands of politicians," is false.
No Islam is defending itself from our meddling. The West cut up.and reorganized the middle east along geographic boundaries for their energy resources after world war 2. It would seem putting military bases on foreign soil and overthrowing/implementing new governments at our whim upsets the people we do it to....

Old 05-23-2015, 01:14 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Many seem to forget about this

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.

------------Dwight D. Eisenhower

Most clear thinking people do not like war.

Anti-war folks, please, we got it. Most of PEOPLE do not like war, period. So you ain't alone. But it is not about YOU all the time, always.

Live and let live, people just want to spend Memorial weekend however they want to spend it without hearing your opinions about war and military all the time.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Oh, please! That is so naïve.
Did we contain communism from the Korean War? What'd we achieve in Vietnam? What did we achieve in Iraq twice?

Old 05-23-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I have to wonder how many of those here that put down the military have offered their services to soup kithens, food pantires, childrens hospitals, homes for women who have been abused or even simple things like mentoring at their near by elemenatary school helping kids who need a little extra love? I bet not many.
Defending our country means different things to different people.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:20 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...SRlQPD6XiwThis Memorial Day weekend, please thank a Vet for his service, and pray for the safety of those still in harms way. Also pray for our country, which is in need of restoration. Our core values and principles, even our Constitution is under assault every day. Let's reflect on those who have fought and died for Freedom and Liberty, not only for ourselves, but for others yearning to be free.
Please point out where the Constitution tasks us with sending Americans to fight and die for "others yearning to be free"? Especially when all too often those 'others' are unwilling to fight and die for themselves.

You bleeding heart conservatives are something else, you bristle at the mere idea of buying a Band-Aid for an American while being perfectly willing to sacrifice that American's life for someone else.

No disrespect intended towards those who go off and fight. No respect for those who send them on useless missions of no benefit to the US.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:23 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
This. I would never question someone's bravey or patriotism who serves, but most of those people should of never been put in a position to serve. Last real imminent threat was the Cuban missile crisis and last threat that required boots on the ground was WW2.

FDR took us to war in Europe because his big government jobs programs failed to reduce unemployment and he needed to pull millions of able-bodied young men out of the workforce.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:26 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
FDR took us to war in Europe because his big government jobs programs failed to reduce unemployment and he needed to pull millions of able-bodied young men out of the workforce.
Yeah, US territory being attacked by another nation had nothing to do with it, eh?

Old 05-23-2015, 01:31 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,556 times
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...SRlQPD6XiwThis Memorial Day weekend, please thank a Vet for his service, and pray for the safety of those still in harms way. Also pray for our country, which is in need of restoration. Our core values and principles, even our Constitution is under assault every day. Let's reflect on those who have fought and died for Freedom and Liberty, not only for ourselves, but for others yearning to be free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=sSRlQPD6Xiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=oB25pp9HaDc

My eyes tear up when I hear the Navy Hymn.
Maybe you should be ashamed of your education system? It's "country" not "contry".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies