Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But this is what you wanted - so why are you whining? It is the natural consequences of what happens when nobody supports their police department. The community called for anarchy and that is what they are getting. The police are not dummies; they understand this lack of support and respect. Do you really think firing police will help morale.

President Obama will go down in history as the first anti-MLK President since April 4th 1968. He has managed to undo all of the racial gains of the great MLK. That is unfortunate since both Whites and Blacks will be a minority in the next few decades. The only way we can prevail will be to stand together. But, perhaps, this is all part of the plan - divide and conquer. So who is really calling all of the shots? I don't care if you paint it in Democrat blue or Republican red - it is still special interest.
Too bad there isn't a 10 step program for boot licking.

Whenever a person dies in custody there should be a method to determine the cause. Correct what went wrong. And accountability for those who failed to do the job in a professional manor.

A neighbor down the street got into an auto accident several days ago. He had a green light and was hit broadside by another auto. that ran a red light. His airbag deployed injuring him. Confused he didn't know what happened and thought he hit a curb. He continued for some distance until he realized he had a bigger problem than that. He was arrested for leaving the scene of an accident. Taken to jail by a state trooper. The jail refused to to accept him until he was seen by a doctor.

Some people get it. Some make an effort to do what's right. Some people are professionals and fallow the policy put to them.

When you are hired in public service is it really to much to expect that you will do the job. Their morale doesn't make it to the top of the list. At the top of any list should be to protect and serve the public. Support for those that serve themselves and put the public second or farther down the list is ignorant at best.

The special interest you speak about wants what is happening and would like to see more of it all across the nation. Because they will make money off the misery. Any effort they can put forward to control the population is in their interest. That is what policing was brought it existence for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 PM

109 posts, read 74,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
He added, “After a shift call, we get together and say again, ‘We’re just going to back each other up and answer 911 calls from our dispatcher.'” And that orders from commanders go “in one ear, out the other.”

In what private company or corporation could the subordinates get away with a statement like this ?
Companies that have these things called unions. Never heard of a union strike before?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:47 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Batts said. "There are people, and they've said this to me, 'If I get out of my car and make a stop for a reasonable suspicion that leads to probable cause but I make a mistake on it, will I be arrested?' They pull up to a scene and another officer has done something that they don't know, it may be illegal, will they be arrested for it? Those are things they are asking."

They don't know how to do the job. Training is lacking or in question at least. Been on the job several years and don't know dept. policy because they never had to try and follow it before. Now the fear is that they will be held accountable when in the past they never had to meet that standard. Time to clean house. They aren't getting anything else done.
The thing is, if those assumptions are true, the problems start at the top. The lack of communication of department policy, and the establishment of a "corporate culture" are functions of the management of the city, and of the police department. If you are to clean house (and I don't deny that it might be necessary) you'd have to start with an utterly incompetent mayor and police commissioner. As you said, they aren't getting anything else done.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micla0 View Post
Companies that have these things called unions. Never heard of a union strike before?
That's a little different. In this case the police are following orders and doing their jobs. Exactly as they are require to do. They aren't like, say, teachers that walk off the job and sacrifice the education of the students trusted to their care, just to blackmail the taxpayer into giving them more money. The police are doing their jobs, in the manner that best keeps them alive. In a city with some of worst, most pathetic leadership in the country. It's a shame that the city has leadership that is incapable of doing it's job, of leading, of setting policies for their employees that allow them to provide the services that the taxpayers paid for. In a private company, every one would have been replaced long ago.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's a little different. In this case the police are following orders and doing their jobs. Exactly as they are require to do. They aren't like, say, teachers that walk off the job and sacrifice the education of the students trusted to their care, just to blackmail the taxpayer into giving them more money. The police are doing their jobs, in the manner that best keeps them alive. In a city with some of worst, most pathetic leadership in the country. It's a shame that the city has leadership that is incapable of doing it's job, of leading, of setting policies for their employees that allow them to provide the services that the taxpayers paid for. In a private company, every one would have been replaced long ago.
But hey their DA won on Judge Judy a few years back. Maybe that's what qualified her for the job.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
I don't blame the police at all. The blacks in low income neighborhoods in Baltimore don't want police in the neighborhood. They've made that clear with rioting, robbing, beating, violence, destruction, and antagonistic behavior towards police.

Police are just people who are doing a job. Some forget that. They want to go home to their families at night like the rest of us. Unlike the rest of us, they are willing to risk their lives to do their job.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. To say that it's time to clean house means you have absolutely no idea whatsoever what you speak of.

Let's forget about the racial context for a moment and let's concentrate on the current stat- "38th homicide victims so far this month, the city's deadliest in 15 years". Again, forget about you saying to clean house.

Clearly your statements disregard the understanding of dealing with emotional demand in high risk human to human type of work. What do you think happens to people that have to police the 5th most murder rated city in the nation as of 2014? What do you think happens to US Marines and US Soldiers that come back from doing time down range and end up beating their wives and turn into totally different people? Do you think either of these are able to cope normally? Do you think officers that police a high crime neighborhood being on edge everyday for 12 hours can come home to simply shut if off?

See, this is a point that people don't get. Sure, we show tremendous support for our wounded warriors but what about the men & women that put their lives on the line never knowing if the will return home? Regardless of it is their choice, the fact of the matter is that there are consequences and risk factors contribute to the stress and psychological effects of a person.

For you and many, you simply see it as these people made the choice and so they should be bullet proof both physically and mentally. While surely one becomes hardened as one is further exposed to high risk duties but there is a price to pay.... That price my friend is sometimes turning into the very type of people you are policing.... And because of lack of funding, there isn't any continuous psychological counseling. Even worse, if a police officer commits to counseling, he/she has to give up their weapon and are out of a paycheck until found suitable....

So not only do we need tactical training but also training on how to police an oppressed murder capital city- which is another piece of puzzle. So continue to sit in your secured home calling shots... (no pun intended)

P.S. I will be the first to tell you that many of these deaths are a result of police offers not being able to fight with their hands and reaching for lethal force. But it does also come from not getting the proper training on a regular basis (lack of funding) to learn how to police oppressed black neighborhoods and better the understanding of the black culture, especially if the officer is coming from a well to do middle class family history. Much of this training will never be provided cause there aren't many that can provide this....
Actually I do know what I'm talking about because I have lived it. I'm 100 % disabled COMBAT VET. I have spent the majority of my working life in dealing with the emotional demand of high risk human to human type of work after leaving military service. You make assumptions about people when they express a different view than your own. That is fine. I accept that. I also stand by what I say. I'm not going to list my resume on every thread.

My opinion has brought out your emotion. Anger, frustration, and rage at a system that doesn't support you the way you think it should. You express a hopelessness about funding and training. I agree with that also. In the second paragraph, second sentence I stated "Training is lacking or in question at least. So you see I do have a clue. In another thread I expressed the idea that we have spent billions building other nations at the expense of our own. We could have used that money to fund and train police officers correctly was my position. As well we could have used it for other public policy that would make your job easier and less dangerous.

Here I want to address the part of your statement I put in bold. I agree there is a price to pay. It is as you describe. You begin turning into the very type of people you are policing. A criminal. The only thing saving you is fact that your a cop. I have seen this over and over both in combat and on the police force. But now there are too many people with a camera and your not going to continue to get away it. This issue is not going to go away. We really don't need or want criminal cops. If you can't find a way to cope with it then you need to get out. Don't let it rune your life. It's not worth it. Department policy is there for a reason. Don't ignore it. It may be the one thing that saves you. Good luck, and when I say "you" I'm talking to everyone, not any one person.

Last edited by phma; 05-28-2015 at 10:30 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 10:19 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
It's a great success for the thug mob and their Mayor. The law of the jungle is the rule of law in certain areas of Baltimore. Glad I never have to go there.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
These cops aren't afraid to do their job, that is pure nonsense, they just want to keep things the way they have been for years where their actions haven't been subject to scrutiny. Right now they are trying to play the only hand they've got- they are holding the city hostage by denying them the services that citizens have a right to expect. There is no excuse for this behavior, the "blue flu" is a trick that goes back to the early days of municipal policing and in the end the cops lose because they lose the respect of the people who are paying them.

This kind of attitude usually is the result of weak leadership. Get a new chief who sets firm standards as to what is expected of anyone in Baltimore who wears a badge and then follow through to make sure there are repercussions for those who break the rules. You want an example of what a strong Police Chief can do to not only turn around a Police Dept. but to actually make a difference in violent crime read about the Richmond California Chief, Chris Magnus Homicide rates drop as Richmond chief builds bond with community - LA Times

Old 05-28-2015, 10:40 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,837,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's a great success for the thug mob and their Mayor. The law of the jungle is the rule of law in certain areas of Baltimore. Glad I never have to go there.
As a half black, half white male, this crap in Baltimore proves a point of mine that I have been making for years!

Black males are indeed feral.
(having reverted to the wild state, as from domestication)

Wanting to commit crimes without interference from the law, the police have backed off and given them exactly what was asked of them!

Think about it!

The zoo keeper has left the zoo and upon their departure have opened the cages!

Look around the country and what is going on!

Is it the educated black male robbing, looting and murdering?

Education matters!!

When I say education, I am not talking about affirmative action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies