Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:26 AM

16,641 posts, read 8,649,068 times

Advertisements

Being from south Florida where there are lots of Jews (probably only 2nd to NY in numbers), I have often wondered why they blindly vote for the modern (D) party?
I have heard various reasons, even from some Jews themselves. However none of the answers really seemed to be a reasoned universal explanation.

I just came across this video, and it is an interesting take on the subject;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Iq...em-subs_digest

So what do you think about the reason/s and the ideas proffered in the video?

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:38 AM

1,438 posts, read 780,653 times
Because they are the most educated Americans along with Asian Americans and highly educated people usually don't vote conservative. Also Jews have been oppressed and poor for much of their history and sympathesize with the plight of those who are in that condition today.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:40 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Being from south Florida where there are lots of Jews (probably only 2nd to NY in numbers), I have often wondered why they blindly vote for the modern (D) party?
I have heard various reasons, even from some Jews themselves. However none of the answers really seemed to be a reasoned universal explanation.

I just came across this video, and it is an interesting take on the subject;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Iq...em-subs_digest

So what do you think about the reason/s and the ideas proffered in the video?

`
What a lovely video made to shame the irreligious disguised as an informational video about Judaism.

So ethnic Jews don't care about religion as much. So what? They choose to ignore a book with no credentials that says this realistically insignificant piece of land belongs to a certain group of people. Good for them. They have that right.

This video is a joke. It does explain why Jews vote 'leftist' (which I think is a stupid word), but it makes it sound like it's an unreasonable reason to vote Democrat. How dare they blaspheme!

This is hyper Christian-conservative propaganda designed to make people feel bad about feeling that America's foreign policy is too intrusive on the affairs of other states, which is a completely valid view point to have. This video should not be taken seriously.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:41 AM

549 posts, read 457,526 times
With Democrats becoming more and more anti-Israel and even anti-Semitic, I don't think this voting pattern will persist.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
With Democrats becoming more and more anti-Israel and even anti-Semitic, I don't think this voting pattern will persist.
How have they become anti-Semitic?

And no, not supporting Israel indefinitely is not anti-smetism. I'd label it 'conservative foreign policy;' the belief that American foreign policy should not be invasive of the affairs of other nations.

I support the existence of Israel. I do not support that idea that Palestine in inherently evil. Yes, Hamas is a problem. Take them out of Palestinian government and work to bring piece to the two groups. That's the humane solution. I know the 'Christians' who think Jesus is gonna come back in their life time think that God will flood the Earth again or something if Jews aren't in control of Israel, but an apocalyptic fairytale is not grounds for the justification of foreign policy. I love that secular Jews have Israel, but if it becomes anything other than secular, I frankly don't care who has Israel. A non-secular government, no matter the religion is bad. Even Buddhists, who probably bother people less than any religion that currently exists.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:49 AM

549 posts, read 457,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
How have they become anti-Semitic?
1. By welcoming muslims.
2. By submitting to Al Sharpton.
3. By not recognizing anti-Semitic actions as such. Last example: calling the attack on the Kosher market in Paris "random".

Old 02-13-2015, 09:54 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,952,341 times
WOW! Thanks for telling that you consider someone to be anti-semitic if they aren't discriminatory against Muslims.

Sheesh-people are messed up but don't see their own hypocrisy.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:55 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,144,261 times
Quote:
BS, it's just an ugly meme from the Right, calling Dems anti-semitic (give me a break). The GOP has so little going for it these days, that they cling to the notion that Iran will nuke Israel off the map because Obama doesn't cede to Netenyehu's every demand.

Behner's stunt after the last state of the union address was pathetic, and all but the most partisan Repubs know it.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:58 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
What a lovely video made to shame the irreligious disguised as an informational video about Judaism.

So ethnic Jews don't care about religion as much. So what? They choose to ignore a book with no credentials that says this realistically insignificant piece of land belongs to a certain group of people. Good for them. They have that right.

This video is a joke. It does explain why Jews vote 'leftist' (which I think is a stupid word), but it makes it sound like it's an unreasonable reason to vote Democrat. How dare they blaspheme!

This is hyper Christian-conservative propaganda designed to make people feel bad about feeling that America's foreign policy is too intrusive on the affairs of other states, which is a completely valid view point to have. This video should not be taken seriously.
I have no problem with you voicing your opinion but who are you to declare that this video should not be taken seriously? What statistics did Shapiro put forth here do you dispute?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
1. By welcoming muslims.
2. By submitting to Al Sharpton.
3. By not recognizing anti-Semitic actions as such. Last example: calling the attack on the Kosher market in Paris "random".
1) How is welcoming Islam an act of anti-Semetism?

2) Gonna be honest, I don't follow Al Sharpton. I can't effectively agree or disagree with this, but based on the validity of your first point, I have little faith in this point having any merit either.

3) Was the attack random? And if it wasn't, why is saying such anti-Semitic. It could be a case of misinformation. This doesn't seem like an example of anti-Semitic.

All three of these things seem like small, rather trivial examples and not actual examples of legitimate disdain for Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies