Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Wasn't meant to make you subservient to the system either. You didn't answer me regarding the people of your generation having good jobs that aren't around anymore. How do you expect those people to get ahead of what helped your generation isn't there?
You're just looking for any excuse why people fail other than their own choices. Sure jobs from previous generations aren't there, they've been replaced by other jobs. The population of the US has nearly doubled in the last 50 years and the great majority of people are working and almost all of them are working above minimum wage. Do you really think that new jobs haven't been created over the last 50 years or 25 years? My first 'real job' out of college doesn't exist anymore, it was replaced by the Internet which created millions of new jobs.

But don't forget there are millions of other, more traditional/old school, types of jobs that are going unfilled because people aren't willing to put in the effort to do them. There are options for people who are motivated and work to get ahead Profoundly Disconnected.

Two quotes mis-attributed to Darwin, but are still valid:
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.

In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment.

Those who refuse to adapt won't succeed no matter how much of other peoples money you throw at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Petch...you are a bitter fool. If people don't want to grow a business, that's their issue. I've seen some billionaires say taxes are the last thing they think about - if something is a good investment, then it's a good investment. If failures want to blame the government, well...whatever makes them happy.

Define a good investment.

I'll tell you what. Loan me $1,000 and next year I'll pay you back $1,001.

Why wouldn't you do that? Isn't earning $1 on that better than earning nothing on it?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:05 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
And who made out the best? Mmmkay. And I love it when people call me a liberal (sarcasm). My family would fall over laughing.
And we care about your family's opinion why? You sound like a screaming liberal.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Wasn't meant to make you subservient to the system either. You didn't answer me regarding the people of your generation having good jobs that aren't around anymore. How do you expect those people to get ahead of what helped your generation isn't there?
And just what types of "good jobs" left the US that unskilled people can do ?

Software Engineer perhaps, Xray technicians, Accounting ?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:06 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
And who made out the best?
On the tax cuts? The middle class and below:
Quote:
"We find that the combined effect of government tax and spending policies is to redistribute more than $2 trillion annually from families in the top 40 percent of the income distribution to those in the bottom 60 percent. Federal tax and spending policies comprise more than two-thirds of the total amount of redistribution and contributed to a slight increase in the total amount of redistribution over the past decade.

Interestingly, we find that the biggest net beneficiaries of this increase in redistribution from 2000-2012 are middle-income families and working lower-income families (those in the second quintile). These were the families most targeted by economic stimulus programs and more generous tax credits. Of the $2 trillion in income that was redistributed in 2012, nearly half was paid for by families in the top 1 percent."
The Distribution of Tax and Spending Policies in the United States

Old 06-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Define a good investment.

I'll tell you what. Loan me $1,000 and next year I'll pay you back $1,001.

Why wouldn't you do that? Isn't earning $1 on that better than earning nothing on it?
LOL AMSS thinks this is a great investment, anyone else in?

Anyone else willing to invest $1000 with Pedro and he'll pay you back $1,100.00 in a year?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:07 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Wow...you're a disciple of her's now.
I admire her honesty.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:12 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And just what types of "good jobs" left the US that unskilled people can do ?

Software Engineer perhaps, Xray technicians, Accounting ?
Drug dealing, pimping, fencing, burglary?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Drug dealing, pimping, fencing, burglary?
Yep, tax free income and then scream that someone else should pay more taxes.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
What about those hardworking American getting paid minimum wage or on temp status who are working full time for the 0.01%. Sorry, but if you won't pay your lowest level employee a living wage even though he is working 40 hours a week, than you don't deserve freedom from financial worry.
That was me.........working three/four minimum wage jobs.

Then I got sick of being poor and made some changes.

The worker needs to be the one making changes.

Do not wait for others to do it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies