Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
We should give our babies nukes, chemical warfare agents, and rpgs. Then they'll be really safe!

Tactically, none of those things are effective defensive weapons. So no.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2201987 View Post

I wonder will the mainstream media report on the rumors that he was taking an SSRI that might have made him aggressive and violent...

Does it matter? He still won't see the light of day again.

I also don't know why so many posters on this forum will be offended if Roof is called a terrorist. As a commentator said on MSNBC tonight, an act of terror will result in a harsher sentence. Eugene Robinson, an award winning journalist (who is Black) just said "The Ku Klux Klan was a terrorist organization." Also, Joy Reid, also a liberal commentator (and Black) agrees that the church shooting was an act of terror. Calling it an act of terror isn't saying it wasn't a Hate Crime or that the shooter isn't a racist.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:53 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wish people would stop saying the President is trying to take away our 2nd Amendment rights. I never remember anyone saying "take away every gun in America." What most responsible people are asking for are stricter gun laws, not confiscation of personal property or denying Americans the right to defend themselves. Requiring mandatory background checks and waiting periods is the right thing to do. I also don't know why anyone needs to own a military type of weapon. The Founding Fathers couldn't possibly have imagined citizens owning rapid firing assault weapons.

In any case, I'm not so sure a law would have prevented this horrific act of evil. If people don't get guns legally and they want them badly enough, they'll buy them from the underground market. However, I'm still in favor of better gun control, but I do think its effects will be limited.
I have read several posts today here on CD that call for a complete repeal of the 2A. They want to ban guns completely. We have people in congress that are on record as wanting to remove guns from civilians.

Background checks and waiting periods are already in place when buying from a gun store. B/C's would not have prevented Sandy Hook, or this church shooting.

I don't know if you are referring to machine guns, or semi auto rifles when you refer to rapid fire assault weapons. No one is shooting fully automatic assault rifles out there.
Maybe you are referring to semi auto rifles like the AR15. If that is the case then you would be surprised to know that the handgun used in the church shooting has the exact same firing rate as the demonized AR15.
Both shoot 1 projectile each time you pull the trigger. All semi auto firearms have the same rate of fire.
Soldiers are armed with full auto weapons, they would not consider going to battle with an AR 15

Old 06-18-2015, 08:53 PM

520 posts, read 532,101 times
He is a terrorist. In every definition of the word.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,814 times
I think we should sit down with this mentally ill person and just talk it out. I mean he didn't do anything except kill without a police uniform on but that can be corrected.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I don't know if you are referring to machine guns, or semi auto rifles when you refer to rapid fire assault weapons. No one is shooting fully automatic assault rifles out there.
Isn't that what James Holmes used? I admit I'm not an expert on guns, but I remember reading he used numerous weapons and one of them was a semiautomatic rifle with a 100-round drum.

Anyway, I don't want to live in a world where people are walking around wearing guns in case of a shootout in Walmart.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:08 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,814 times
Quote:
Isn't that what James Holmes used? I admit I'm not an expert on guns, but I remember reading he used numerous weapons and one of them was a semiautomatic rifle with a 100-round drum.

Anyway, I don't want to live in a world where people are walking around wearing guns in case of a shoot out in Walmart.
Then move because this is the greatest country on the planet and I've been free since 1776. For God and country, 'Murica.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
To the people talking out of their political butts:

Is your little agenda all you care about?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,019 times
Quote:

Anyway, I don't want to live in a world where people are walking around wearing guns in case of a shootout in Walmart.
With over 11 million concealed carry licenses in the US, you are in close proximity to concealed firearms a lot more often than you think.

I'm sure Holmes did use a semi auto rifle, the rate of fire is no faster than any other semi auto hunting rifle or semi auto handgun. You got to pull the trigger once for each round expelled.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:21 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,582,024 times
Quote:
I wish people would stop saying the President is trying to take away our 2nd Amendment rights. I never remember anyone saying "take away every gun in America." What most responsible people are asking for are stricter gun laws, not confiscation of personal property or denying Americans the right to defend themselves. Requiring mandatory background checks and waiting periods is the right thing to do. I also don't know why anyone needs to own a military type of weapon. The Founding Fathers couldn't possibly have imagined citizens owning rapid firing assault weapons.

In any case, I'm not so sure a law would have prevented this horrific act of evil. If people don't get guns legally and they want them badly enough, they'll buy them from the underground market. However, I'm still in favor of better gun control, but I do think its effects will be limited.
I'm not sure why we should focus so much energy on something that will have "limited" effects. The majority of gun violence is committed by people that have them illegally, which is more directly impacted by things such as stop and frisk. I understand the consitutional concerns about that, but there are also similar concerns about gun restrictions for legal purchases. Why not focus the effort on the one that's more likely to yield results? Because it targets people instead of the evil, inanimate objects? Oops that doesn't work because it actually targets the rights of people as related to those inanimate objects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies