Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 03:14 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Perhaps, although Zarqawi was there prior to the invasion.
His influence is debatable, and if we are now claiming the U.S. conducted a shock and awe campaign because of Zarqawi's presence in Iraq, some of the locals might protest that is a bit of overkill from their perspective of getting bombed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 03:21 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
you read too much into it,simply pointing out Al Qaeda terrorists WERE in Iraq PRIOR to the invasion.

I imagine it was better hopping around on his one leg in Iraq than in Afghanistan....less rocks.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:58 AM

132 posts, read 244,848 times
Not arguing, Oz. Perhaps you're right.

But perhaps you could point me to some evidence that Al Qaeda had any significant presence in Iraq prior to America's attack and occupation there ?

Everything I've seen seems to indicate that there was no love lost between Saddam and Al Qaeda.
And no evidence of any international terrorism emanating from Iraq - whatever Saddam's other vices undoubtedly were.

In any case, whether Al Qaeda were active in Iraq before or not,
it seems certain that American action has served to ensure that they have garnered significant support there now.
The "resurgents" or "freedom fighters" (call them what you will), will happily accept aid from anyone to combat what they obviously perceive to be foreign domination.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
The "resurgents" or "freedom fighters" (call them what you will), will happily accept aid from anyone to combat what they obviously perceive to be foreign domination.

They need to pay more attention to Quick Draw Dick, this is liberation, not domination

Old 01-24-2008, 12:07 PM

Zarqawi was in Iraq PRIOR to the invasion,hopping around(due to the good old USA blowing his leg off) no doubt planning all sorts of mischief...

Iraq supported terrorists through providing funds to the families of suicide bombers.

Iraq provided safe haven to several terrorists including one who was responsible for the murder of a US citizen.

Al Qaeda is losing in Iraq,the Iraqis have grown a little tired of being beheaded by these outsiders.
Al Qaeda is mainly outsiders,in other words FOREIGNERS....

Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 AM

74 posts, read 191,007 times
Heres a hint, and I know its been said before, but...

If you hate American and what we're doing so much, move out of it! Go to Canada, the UK, France (alothough I've heard they're running out of white flags), or better yet, go to Iraq, and see just whats really happening over there. And while you are over there, know that the American soliders that you hate so much are and will continue risking their lives to protect you, from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankidan View Post
Heres a hint, and I know its been said before, but...

If you hate American and what we're doing so much, move out of it! Go to Canada, the UK, France (alothough I've heard they're running out of white flags), or better yet, go to Iraq, and see just whats really happening over there. And while you are over there, know that the American soliders that you hate so much are and will continue risking their lives to protect you, from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Here's a helpful hint for you:

Get yourself a dictionary and look up two words,

D*I*S*A*G*R*E*E*M*E*N*T and H*A*T*R*E*D

You're probably going to be quite surprised to find they have entirely different meanings and are not listed as synonyms.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
you read too much into it,simply pointing out Al Qaeda terrorists WERE in Iraq PRIOR to the invasion.

I imagine it was better hopping around on his one leg in Iraq than in Afghanistan....less rocks.

Al Queda terrorists were also in the US and other countries, so what does this prove? Most of them are probably in Saudi Arabia....

Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Al Queda terrorists were also in the US and other countries, so what does this prove? Most of them are probably in Saudi Arabia....
Do you think Iraq was as open a society as the US and other western nations?
I don't.I think the regime there knoew who was inside their borders and what they were doing.

I disagree regarding Saudi arabia,I think most of Al Qaeda are dead.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Do you think Iraq was as open a society as the US and other western nations?
I don't.I think the regime there knoew who was inside their borders and what they were doing.

I disagree regarding Saudi arabia,I think most of Al Qaeda are dead.
Of course Iraq wasn't as "open" a society as the US, or other european countries. But I also don't believe that the regime knew about every person within their borders, what their ulterior motives where etc. There was never any proof of ties between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein. Try as they might, they couldn't prove any. I firmly believe we were fed a bunch of lies, and they (the administration) knew it.

Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda timeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saddam's al Qaeda Connection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies