Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
People don't fly the US flag as a symbol of white supremacy.
The KKK does.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
Want to try and revise history again?

The Democratic Liberals favorite flag of choice was ...

(uh oh)
Is that why you (and many others here) are being bitter about confederate flags being taken out?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 PM

716 posts, read 393,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Don't you just love white people talking about racism?
...and how the slavers flag has absolutely nothing whatsoever do with racism?!?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Is that why you (and many others here) are being bitter about confederate flags being taken out?
To be fair, I have asked several of these people where they stand on that exactly, and I have not encountered a single person here who is actually opposed to these flags being removed by the choice of these state governments.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So, what does that mean? That you are fine with the state legislatures deciding to take this banner down?
I really don't care either way, what i am saying is i am not going to be offended if they keep the flag flying.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:16 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I really don't care either way, what i am saying is i am not going to be offended if they keep the flag flying.
Well, clearly that is not what is being considered, so that is not really the question. Are you opposed to these state governments choosing to take it down?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:17 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Lincoln was going to let the South keep their slaves if they returned to the union and paid taxes.

How do you explain that one ?
To Lincoln, freeing the slaves was a secondary goal to keeping the union intact, but that argument doesn't support those who claim heritage and southern pride when they explain why they support the confederate flag. It was clear why the confederacy states wanted to secede which was to maintain slavery and that way of life. If my ancestors fought under that guise, I wouldn't be trying to celebrate it, I'd be trying to bury it.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:19 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Bigots/Nationalists/Far right radicals all over the world fly their nations flag at protests' so what is so special about the confederate flag?
What is so special?
The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States

Here:
Quote:
The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery. They have endeavored to weaken our security, to disturb our domestic peace and tranquility, and persistently refused to comply with their express constitutional obligations to us in reference to that property, and by the use of their power in the Federal Government have striven to deprive us of an equal enjoyment of the common Territories of the Republic. This hostile policy of our confederates has been pursued with every circumstance of aggravation which could arouse the passions and excite the hatred of our people, and has placed the two sections of the Union for many years past in the condition of virtual civil war. Our people, still attached to the Union from habit and national traditions, and averse to change, hoped that time, reason, and argument would bring, if not redress, at least exemption from further insults, injuries, and dangers. Recent events have fully dissipated all such hopes and demonstrated the necessity of separation.
Quote:
In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory.

The feeling increased, until, in 1819-20, it deprived the South of more than half the vast territory acquired from France.

The same hostility dismembered Texas and seized upon all the territory acquired from Mexico.

It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.

It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.

It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.

It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.

It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.

It has made combinations and formed associations to carry out its schemes of emancipation in the States and wherever else slavery exists.

It seeks not to elevate or to support the slave, but to destroy his present condition without providing a better.

It has invaded a State, and invested with the honors of martyrdom the wretch whose purpose was to apply flames to our dwellings, and the weapons of destruction to our lives.

Quote:
The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 26th day of April, A.D., 1852, declared that the frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States, by the Federal Government, and its encroachments upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in then withdrawing from the Federal Union; but in deference to the opinions and wishes of the other slaveholding States, she forbore at that time to exercise this right. Since that time, these encroachments have continued to increase, and further forbearance ceases to be a virtue.

Quote:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time. Her institutions and geographical position established the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the confederacy. Those ties have been strengthened by association. But what has been the course of the government of the United States, and of the people and authorities of the non-slave-holding States, since our connection with them?

What is the difference? The initial and major reason for secession. I got all of this from the Articles of Secession.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:21 PM

716 posts, read 393,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
...If my ancestors fought under that guise, I wouldn't be trying to celebrate it, I'd be trying to bury it.
I couldn't agree more. I put slavers a few notches below child molesters and cannibals. What some people take pride in is beyond me.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:22 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
To Lincoln, freeing the slaves was a secondary goal to keeping the union intact, but that argument doesn't support those who claim heritage and southern pride when they explain why they support the confederate flag. It was clear why the confederacy states wanted to secede which was to maintain slavery and that way of life. If my ancestors fought under that guise, I wouldn't be trying to celebrate it, I'd be trying to bury it.
Well, there is also something I want to bring up. I went to school with people who would tell me "secession was not about slavery, it was states' rights". Well, I posted some excerpts from the Articles of Secession that prove otherwise. What it tells me is this: There are those who are willing to lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies