Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 10:16 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Much into plagiarism?

Indeed, from the nature of your post, it's quite obvious that you do not feel the way you claim to here. Unfortunately.

On the other hand, I think the poster you plagiarized probably does feel the way he states he does. So the first, I find honest and genuine (whether I agree with it or not), the second I find dishonest and disingenuous (whether I agree with it or not). Not to mention, rather snotty.
What I did was use parody to provoke self-reflection. What you are doing is rather 'snotty' tone trolling.

Last edited by Ceist; 06-27-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You haven't been banned. You have been banned only from what is unnatural and, frankly, disgusting and obscene.

Marriage has only one meaning, and no Court, no matter how high, can change that. This decision is an abomination, like homosexuality itself. May God's wrath be upon those who have made this decision, and all those who practice this iniquity.
Marriage is a legal contract between two consenting adults.

Wishing wrath upon people strikes me as immoral as it gets.

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I am not describing a theocracy. We do not have such, nor do we want one; but, this country was established on principles and standards set by God, and our government since its founding has been guided by those standards.

All men (mankind) are bound by God's law, whether you like it or not. You will one day be called to give an account. May God have mercy on you.
You want laws based off not only your religion (people in the same religion can have differing views), but your own personal religious beliefs. That is the very definition of of Theocracy.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:18 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
However, to my understanding, all that has been done was the government has chosen to expand their views of what equals marriage for government purposes (taxes, certain visitation rights, etc). That does not, and should not, have any affect on any religion. Just because the government says it is a marriage, does not mean churches have to view it as a marriage approved or ordained by God.
This is the status quo, for chrissake. I am agnostic but was married by a rabbi in a Jewish ceremony, and I am 100% sure that the "Synod of Missouri Lutherans" or whatever wouldn't consider that a proper marriage. To which I essentially say "so bloody what?" and move on.

Of course, if any member of the Missouri Lutheran congregation decides to treat me and my wife as unmarried outside their church walls, we have a problem. Because out here, it's secular law that rules supreme - not the edict of some church gathering's Grand Poobah.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:22 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Agree completely. To do anything else puts government in the business of sanctioning religion(s), which it should not be doing.

Dave
Religion does not own the word marriage. I can go get married at the court house with no religion involved.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:22 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Are you contacting a lawyer on Tilt11's behalf?

And actually Ceist's post was a sophisticated appropriation of what Tilt11 wrote. If you knew anything about copyright law, changing a few things in the original, depending on proportion of the new to the original, constitutes new in copyright most often today. It's called remixing.
Oh good grief, wasn't it you who told someone to relax a bit ago? You really think I was serious about that? It was to make a point: copying and pasting someone else's post isn't really good form. Not that we all haven't done the copy and paste thing, but reading the same post over and over with a few words changed... it is a little annoying.

Quote:
And so? You aren't the only audience for the posts on this forum it might surprise you to know.
Are you serious? And here all this time I thought you were all a bunch of servers somewhere, which had become self-aware through recent breakthroughs in AI.

Beyond that, your response does not invalidate my conjecture.

Quote:
Pot meet kettle.
I was not the subject of my post. Should you feel the desire to discuss me, feel free to start another thread.

The statment was that the first post was presumably honest and sincere, and the second post was basically a personal dig. And I stand by that statement.

Ta-ta, hon. You have a mirific day, now.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:23 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I've never seen so many people get so worked up about an issue that doesn't concern them in the least. Let's make it easy folks:

1) Don't support marriage between the same sex? Don't get one.

2) Don't support the government being involved in your marriage? Don't register your marriage with the government.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:23 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Wishing wrath upon people strikes me as immoral as it gets.
Wishing God's wrath, even? Sure seems to be taking the Lord's name in vain, and as our laws are based on the ten commandments, I'm sure he will soon be doing some hard time.

Hey, nononsenseguy? Perhaps you should turn yourself in. Showing contrition always work well with judges.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I have pondered this a bit more. When all is said and done, I don't care what adults do or whom they are attracted to. Do I find some more immoral and disgusting than others? Yes, absolutely. Do I think its more that they have some issues that have yet to be discovered that caused them to be the way they are? Yes. Do I believe most people, if given a choice, would prevent their kids from being gay if they could? Yes.

However, to my understanding, all that has been done was the government has chosen to expand their views of what equals marriage for government purposes (taxes, certain visitation rights, etc). That does not, and should not, have any affect on any religion. Just because the government says it is a marriage, does not mean churches have to view it as a marriage approved or ordained by God. We and they can continue on having our beliefs.

I still believe there will be some movement to go after churches. Whether it is successful or not, who knows. If it is, it wont be in a week, a year or probably not in a decade. But there is a chance, imo, such a movement in time would be successful. That is my biggest concern. I don't believe that they are going to stop here, but I hope I am proven wrong.

They can be with whomever they choose. But I hold a right to not find it "beautiful" nor have to celebrate it. In all reality, it doesn't affect me that much, and if it stays that way, good.
There are more than 40,000 Christian denominations in the U.S. Everyone is free to interpret scripture as they see fit to do or ignore the whole deal. Some Christian churches have no issue with SSM and will now be free to perform legal marriages should they choose to do so.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:25 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Appropriation for the purpose of parody isn't plagiarizing.
Oh please, people!!!! Read An Honest Proposal 100 times and get back with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
What I did was use parody to provoke self-reflection. What you are doing is rather disengenuous 'snotty' tone trolling.
No, it was not offered in a "snotty" tone. It was an observation about your post. Thus, so that we may get past the wording of my comment, and concentrate on the actual intent of the comment, I have removed the word "snotty."

The thing is, I feel pretty much the same way as that earlier poster (not all of it, but a lot of it). I did not detect any hostility in the comment. You obviously did. We disagree. Life goes on.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-27-2015 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies