Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I agree with most of what you say. The problem is not high compensation packages for US workers, it's crappy trade deals that allow, even incentivize corporations to move the jobs overseas to access cheaper workers, but still get all the benefits of selling their products to us. I'd much rather subsidize US made cars, electronics, clothing, etc. than give that money away in foreign aid or to subsidize millionaire, absentee farm owners.
One doesn't need a trade deal to move jobs overseas. What you are saying is that we need to enact protectionist policies. We don't need to do that, we just need to change our tax policies.

If you sell a widget made in the U.S. it's taxed at say 12%. Sell one made in China and its taxed at 18%. (Just made the numbers up)

Quote:
I would point out that Rand Paul has been every bit as active in his criticism of trade deals in his short time & he talked for 10 hours recently in fact to filibuster the Pacific Partnership deal. Sadly he was largely criticized by the left for it.
The "left" didn't support it or criticize him for this. The GOP did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:42 AM

863 posts, read 1,197,220 times
Quote:
I respect Sanders in the same way I respect Rand Paul. I may not agree with everything they say, but I agree with much of it, at least in spirit. Most importantly I believe both Sanders & Paul are both legitimately working for their constituents, not for corporations. America would be much better off if we saw D-Sanders vs R-Paul vs Green-Ralph Nader. That's three men I believe would all try to protect the people of the country, instead of protecting their corporate partners.
I agree but I doubt we'll see any candidates of their ilk ever come to the presidency. By eschewing corporate sponsorship, folks like them will be forever relegated to the realm of the obscure. They just don't have the smoke to be in America's collective face.

I think by and large, most people want to be told what to think. It's easy when you're an internet regular to think that the rest of America wants to be informed, wants change and realizes that we're in deep doo-doo. Sadly, for most of the US, I don't think that's the case. They rely on biased news outlets from both the left and the right to tell them how to think...........cause ya know, thinking is really hard, researching the issues from an independent viewpoint is tough work, if not damn near impossible and listening to either the right or the left is baffling at best, especially when they are at odds with each other (which they are, over almost everything).

If past trends hold true, candidates like Paul, Sanders or Nader will pretty much stay offr the radar of the media outlets and once again, Americans will be forced to pick the lesser of 2 evils. Our system has become so totally FUBAR, I just don't see any significant change happening until the whole damn thing collapses whether by bang or whimper and has to be rebuilt from the ground up............If there's enough left to rebuild.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:50 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Libertarians are the worst advertising for their own affiliation. I guess I would understand it better if I knew what fantasy land it was based on. The only thing that bugs me about Bernie is, I will have to change my own affiliation for the primaries (hopefully)

Old 07-04-2015, 10:12 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
One doesn't need a trade deal to move jobs overseas. What you are saying is that we need to enact protectionist policies. We don't need to do that, we just need to change our tax policies.

If you sell a widget made in the U.S. it's taxed at say 12%. Sell one made in China and its taxed at 18%. (Just made the numbers up)

We have had protectionist policies since the founding of this country, and many other countries today have protectionist policies.

The Neocon Globalists did away with all that.

If we dropped the tax rate to 0%, and it is still more profitable because of cheaper labor, then they will go where the labor is cheaper.

Big Multinationals Absolutely hate the Constitution where this country is supposed to come first.

A lot of the Multinational Corporations in collusion with our traitorous government moved to places like China in the 90's when the economy was "overheating" and people were making money hand over fist as said by economists. Not because they were loosing money.

I have asked this question many times to people and never get an answer.

What is the profit limit a corporation seeks?
If they can make 1 million here and 10 million in China they will.

It is never enough is the answer.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:56 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

If you sell a widget made in the U.S. it's taxed at say 12%. Sell one made in China and its taxed at 18%.
(Just made the numbers up)

Isn't taxing a domestic product @ 12% and a foreign product @ 18% itself a protectionist policy? Six of one, half dozen of the other I think? I'm open as to how to do it, and openly admit I'm not the sharpest financial mind, I just feel that generally speaking, if a company does it's hiring/manufacturing/is based overseas, then that company shouldn't face a level playing field in the US market vs companies who actually hire/manufacture/are based in the US. There needs to be in incentive to keep the jobs here & to pay taxes in the United States. If that means I have to pay $1,000 for a Sony made in Japan vs $700 for a Zenith made in Tennessee, then I'm Ok with being a 'protectionist', 'isolationist' or whatever some may call me. Seems to me, you and I are generally riding the same wave here?

Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
I agree but I doubt we'll see any candidates of their ilk ever come to the presidency. By eschewing corporate sponsorship, folks like them will be forever relegated to the realm of the obscure. They just don't have the smoke to be in America's collective face.

I think by and large, most people want to be told what to think. It's easy when you're an internet regular to think that the rest of America wants to be informed, wants change and realizes that we're in deep doo-doo. Sadly, for most of the US, I don't think that's the case. They rely on biased news outlets from both the left and the right to tell them how to think...........cause ya know, thinking is really hard, researching the issues from an independent viewpoint is tough work, if not damn near impossible and listening to either the right or the left is baffling at best, especially when they are at odds with each other (which they are, over almost everything).

If past trends hold true, candidates like Paul, Sanders or Nader will pretty much stay offr the radar of the media outlets and once again, Americans will be forced to pick the lesser of 2 evils. Our system has become so totally FUBAR, I just don't see any significant change happening until the whole damn thing collapses whether by bang or whimper and has to be rebuilt from the ground up............If there's enough left to rebuild.
- Agreed. Non corporate candidates like this will never have a real chance. The parties themselves are corrupted to the very core & controlled by the corporations. Corporate money is how they fund the party.

- Agreed. Ignorance is bliss. People watch CNN or Fox and think they get it. For many, it's like following sports. They're simply rooting for "their team" to win. Yankees vs Red Sox. If their party wins, they in turn feel like they're a winner & for losers, that's usually good enough.

- Agreed. The system is so FUBAR that it can not be fixed. Specifically the two party system. They have set it up in such a way that it can not be changed externally, not internally. The ONLY way is if it all crumbles, but when we rebuild from that, it would likely be with a different constitution, one written by corporations who of course will fund the new, upstart political parties as well. We the people aree caught in the corporate web & will never get out I'm afraid.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Isn't taxing a domestic product @ 12% and a foreign product @ 18% itself a protectionist policy? Six of one, half dozen of the other I think? I'm open as to how to do it, and openly admit I'm not the sharpest financial mind, I just feel that generally speaking, if a company does it's hiring/manufacturing/is based overseas, then that company shouldn't face a level playing field in the US market vs companies who actually hire/manufacture/are based in the US. There needs to be in incentive to keep the jobs here & to pay taxes in the United States. If that means I have to pay $1,000 for a Sony made in Japan vs $700 for a Zenith made in Tennessee, then I'm Ok with being a 'protectionist', 'isolationist' or whatever some may call me. Seems to me, you and I are generally riding the same wave here?
There are foreign owned businesses and then there are U.S. businesses employing foreign labor. I wouldn't treat them the same.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:03 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Bernie Sanders is not as wrong as Hillary is. Clinton/Bush are establishment insiders, they are owned by the elites and beholden to the international bankers and the multinational corporatists, they don't care about the average person. Clinton/Bush are two sides of the same lead penny, if either of them win - you lose.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:40 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
A Sanders who is "wrong" is far, far superior to anyone on the GOP side...

From the permanent file on your computer;

A _____ who is "wrong" is far, far superior to anyone on the GOP side...

Old 07-05-2015, 01:32 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
- Agreed. The system is so FUBAR that it can not be fixed. Specifically the two party system. They have set it up in such a way that it can not be changed externally, not internally. The ONLY way is if it all crumbles, but when we rebuild from that, it would likely be with a different constitution, one written by corporations who of course will fund the new, upstart political parties as well. We the people aree caught in the corporate web & will never get out I'm afraid.
Nothing so dramatic needs to happen. The system is like it is because people are unwilling to vote for the candidate instead of the party. They are so caught up on the false war of Democrat vs Republican that they couldn't possibly contemplate voting for a candidate for the other party. Hence, Clinton vs Bush. Both candidates are absolutely counting on this.

This isn't the fault of the system. It's the fault of the people who keep voting for the same ass-holes because they don't want the ass-hole from the "other" party to get in. The day this changes is the day the system fixes itself. It happens from time to time, but it's been a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies