Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 07:24 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
They're perfectly allowed to wave the flag. And we're perfectly allowed to call it for what it is: racist.

If people of color are telling you that the flag is racist, and you turn back around and say "Nope, not in my world, not in my lived experience" you know what that makes you? Yup. Racist. You can argue until you're blue in the face, but as a southern Jew who lived with the repercussions of the actions of those who displayed the flag, you don't get to tell me that the Confederate flag is anything less than a representation of ignorance, hate, and racism.

But you're welcome to fly it. And you're welcome to deal with the societal consequences of doing so.
I can tell you what it means to me to my heart's content, and not you - nor anyone else - can say differently.

Are you really that asinine enough to actually tell me what something means to me?

Yes, there are racist bigots who have usurped this flag to make it mean what they want. In that you are correct.

But don't you dare to presume that everyone else has the same feelings as these racist $hits that most of the rest of us Southerners would wish to go crawl into a hole and die. Don't you dare tell me what I'm supposed to think and feel about an inanimate object.

Be very, very careful that you don't become exactly alike the people you are criticizing, otherwise you'll be the bigot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
That's their right although i don't know what they're trying to say.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times
The Republicans supporting the rebel flag are racist neo-Confederates who truly believe the South should have won the war and that they'd be better off in the Confederacy today. They're angry uneducated white supremacist losers who scapegoat blacks for all the world's problems, there is no reasoning with them. I'm surprised to see some more normal Republicans being open about fighting racism but most Republicans are racist white supremacists.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It's a piece of American history. Right or wrong. Fly it to remember to never forget.
Never forget what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That's what I don't get. Did we fly Japans flag on government buildings after we defeated them?
LOL...never thought about that.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:35 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Who's to say that they're a racists? They may be flying it for other reasons, such as simply Southern pride. It's not unusual to see people flying flags, whether they're for sports teams, states they live in, the country of their heritage, or even what their sexual preference is. Just because it represents racism to you doesn't mean that it means that to them.
Heck, all this dumb flag controversy makes me want to fly one just as an example of anti-PC.
Southern pride? Enslaving black people is not something a decent person would be proud of. You only see a few creepos waving Nazi flags claiming "German pride" yet the Southern redneck trash waving rebel flags seems to be in the millions unfortunately

Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They don't have to. The First Amendment says nothing about those "offended" by free speech nor does the Constitution give you the right not to be offended. My recommendation, look the other way.
No thanks, I would prefer to acknowledge it as a symbol of racism, makes it easier to understand the type of person we are dealing with.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:43 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As YOUR OWN POSTING noted, it was because of SECESSION..

/FAIL
I just love how the right has magically lost the ability to read the word "slavery" as it relates to the civil war, even though the confederacy was quite open and blunt about their desire to keep slavery alive.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:47 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Because we value freedom and we know that most people who do fly the flag do so for being proud to live in the south and such, nothing to do with racism.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:48 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No thanks, I would prefer to acknowledge it as a symbol of racism, makes it easier to understand the type of person we are dealing with.
And you're absolutely sure that everyone that flies that flag shares the same sentiments as a racist? You're absolutely certain that each and every person that has flown that flag hates blacks and jews, right? You know this for a fact?

Or are you being just as judgemental as the racist rednecks you're (rightfully) criticizing?

I swear to God, the number of hypocritical bigots in here has quadrupled in the last few days.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Was Byrd still a KKK member at that point? People can change.
The Dukes of Hazard was never about racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies