Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with Donald Trump on the need to build a wall between Mexico and the U.S.?
I agree that we need to build a wall. 121 79.08%
I disagree that we need to build a wall. 32 20.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:35 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times

Advertisements

Hire illegals to build the wall......pay them a fair wage, then tax those wages at 100%. Threaten to take thier jobs and hire cheaper labor from other countries.

That's a win - win situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 06:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
The wall needed to build, is the employer sanctions and birthright citizenship.

Hit those two incentives and a wall would not be at the expense of taxpayers. It would have never been needed much less thought of.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:40 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The Berlin Wall was just over 97 miles long. The US/Mexico border is ~2,000 miles long. The Berlin Wall costs $3.6 million. Adjust that for inflation and being substantially longer, that would cost quite a lot of money to build and maintain. And even if we only built the wall in populated areas, which of course renders the wall mostly pointless anyway, it would still cost significantly more than the Berlin Wall.

I think we need to ask ourselves: is a wall really the best we can do? We can't possibly handle the issue of illegal immigration in a better way?

Obviously, we can't handle illegal migration into the country in a better way. The D's and R's have their reasons for wanting illegal aliens here, and the more bureaucratic agencies and paperwork created to give the façade they're doing something, the better.

A wall, or moat with gators as someone mentioned, is the way to go.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
[/b]
Obviously, we can't handle illegal migration into the country in a better way. The D's and R's have their reasons for wanting illegal aliens here, and the more bureaucratic agencies and paperwork created to give the façade they're doing something, the better.

A wall, or moat with gators as someone mentioned, is the way to go.
It would make more sense to just go after those that hire illegals....

Old 07-13-2015, 06:46 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Here is an Amazon link to a documentary about the Mexican wall:

http://www.amazon.com/Fence-2011/dp/...s=rory+kennedy

Now, I do not think that a documentary (by a Kennedy!) is the 'last word'. However, it does point out that in many places the 'wall' does little good.

Plus, as I have pointed out previously (and by posters herein), the Southern border is huge, 2,000 miles, with at least one huge lake in the middle.

It is easy for Mr. Trump to say "I can build a wall", but wholly different to put into practice. Walls (or fences) can be, and are, expensive. They can also (as shown in the documentary) be rather easy to 'climb over' (ladders!) or dig under (Mexicans with shovels!).

Of course, I am a bit biased. Born and raised in Texas, I have been around 'illegals' for two generations. I worked with them in a iron foundry and, I suspect, they are currently putting on my new, hail-damaged roof. Over the decades, the illegals I met were more interesting in making money to send back home. I certainly do not fear their taking my lawyer-based job.

Yet, I do not approve of 'open borders'. I agree with those who state that some solution must be found. I just don't think that building a 'wall' of 2,000 miles is wise, or effective.

It is easy to criticize, but darn hard to offer effective solutions.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:47 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
At this point how can any sane person say no?

Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 PM

23,967 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Ever heard of tunnel sensors? I am sure that Mexico didn't have one. No, they would not need a guard every 25 feet. Where are you getting this nonsense? There is no shoot to kill plan either. We are all aware of the greed of the employers who hire illegals but if illegals can't get through our border coupled with e-verify then it will be a huge deterrent.

You're entitled to your opinion about whether or not Trump will be out or not and I am sure you don't like Trump because he spoke out about illegal immigration but many if not most Americans were thrilled that finally a candidate had the guts to do so even if he doesn't make it in this election.
Guess you haven't read anything else I have posted. I have been against illegals for as long as I can remember. Figuring out what works and who will do what is needed is the problem.

The Mexicans have already built a very good tunnel under the San Diego wall. Where were the sensors from the USA? Where were the sensors watching the drug lord?

In totally support e-verify. It was gonna pass in Texas until the big employers went on the house floor and **** it down.

I wish Donald Trumps all the luck in the world, but I have been watching American politics for a very long time. The people who control will shut him down. Somehow, someway he will be discredited. Just like they did Ross Perot.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM

23,967 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It would make more sense to just go after those that hire illegals....
They are the people who fund the politicians. Any and all.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
They are the people who fund the politicians. Any and all.
Which doesn't surprise me when politicians don't bother to try to enforce this.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:01 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
The only advantage to building a wall would be the jobs created building and maintaining it. It still would do nothing to prevent "tourists" from overstaying their visas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies