Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with Donald Trump on the need to build a wall between Mexico and the U.S.?
I agree that we need to build a wall. 121 79.08%
I disagree that we need to build a wall. 32 20.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownrep View Post
Building a wall between Mexico and The United States, might deter some of the illegal immigration problem, but it wont stop it completely. You want to end the Illegal immigraion debate once and for all, then start by removing the incentives for it. All these illegal immigrants are coming for one thing only, and thats economy prosperity. Until any candidate proposes to go after the business that hire them, and start punishing them, until they end birthright citizenship. Until I see candidates start addressing this problem, instead of pandering to their nativist base, as nothing more than shallow talking, to get their racist base into a feeding frenzy against people different from them. As nothing more than to get votes to keep the status quo.
We were in agreement until your threw out the race card at the end of your post. Racist? People different than them? Um, we have so many legal immigrants and citizens that are different from each other already that I don't know what you are talking about in regards to illegal aliens. Most illegals are Mexicans and yet we have millions of legal immigrants and Mexican-American citizens here. Objection to illegal aliens is based on our laws and the huge negatives that they bring here. It isn't about race.

If you want to talk about politicians pandering to their racist base look no further than the Democrats pandering to their ethnocentric Hispanic base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The morning paper tells me that since 2008, 75 drug smuggling tunnels have been discovered in California and Arizona.

No wall is high enough, or deep enough. All this secure the border talk is a smoke screen. Our bought congress will enable cheap labor no matter what the cost is to the rest of us.
That's because those fences aren't the double layered wall that was passed by congress but never funded. It was erected on a sector of our San Diego border and it cut illegal immigration there back to a trickle. Ever heard of tunnel sensors? Before they could climb over that wall the Border Patrol would be there to intercept them. Couple that with removing the incentives for them to come here and we could end illegal immigration as we know it. I can't believe the deafest attitude of some Americans in here. It's what our politicians are counting is complacity on the part of our citizens. I for one will keep on fighting and there are many more like me.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Are we going to build one on the Canadian border?
Sure, just as soon as there are as many illegal aliens coming through there as there is through our southern border. Why plug up a tiny hole in the boat when you have a big gaping one elseswhere?

Old 07-14-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What's Trump going to do about the tunnels? 120 tunnels under the border have been discovered as of today, and 62 of them are directly connected to the drug lord who just escaped via a tunnel from the Mexican prison. These are top-of-the-line tunnels that have moved a lot of people and drugs into our country. Is a wall really the answer? Doing something about the reasons they come here in the first place would do better.
We have the technology for tunnel sensors. Use them! Are the drug cartels, terrorists and criminals coming here for jobs? Going after the employers, etc. is not a deterrant to them.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The same thing that the guy you voted for twice, Bush Jr, did in his 8 years. The same thing Reagan, who I am sure you voted for twice again, did in his 8 years. Absoutely nothing.
Wrong, Obama gave a stay of deportation to millions of them with work permits all by EO and without congress' approval. There's your difference. Is that doing something positive? I don't think so!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I would prefer our own US canal, sort of like the panama canal. ranging from the pacific to the gulf of mexico.
I met a guy that was selling walmart life boats for 25 bucks each. When I asked why so cheap he said he gathers them on our side of rio grande from all of the border jumping criminals.

I do like the thought of a fence to it. It's not nearly as easy as walking across 9 months pregnant, flagging down BP and getting rushed to one of our hospitals to give birth to an anchor kid. On our dime.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:49 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,580,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clownrep View Post
Building a wall between Mexico and The United States, might deter some of the illegal immigration problem, but it wont stop it completely. You want to end the Illegal immigraion debate once and for all, then start by removing the incentives for it. All these illegal immigrants are coming for one thing only, and thats economy prosperity. Until any candidate proposes to go after the business that hire them, and start punishing them, until they end birthright citizenship. Until I see candidates start addressing this problem, instead of pandering to their nativist base, as nothing more than shallow talking, to get their racist base into a feeding frenzy against people different from them. As nothing more than to get votes to keep the status quo.
Trump is someone that hires illegals to build buildings for him republicans like very cheap labor and the illegals will come here and work for min wage and be very happy. Republicans love you say stuff like we will crack down on illegals change health care reduce the debt but never do jack about these thing they all take and no action

Old 07-14-2015, 02:51 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
There are a lot of places I'd flee to before Mexico, and besides as an illegal immigrant Mexico would just deport me.

Don't forget doing time in one of their luxurious Prison Resorts too.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It would make more sense to just go after those that hire illegals....

Oh yeah, terrorists are lined up at HR with their applications filled out.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Here is an Amazon link to a documentary about the Mexican wall:

Amazon.com: The Fence: Fence (2011), Rory Kennedy, Liz Garbus and Kevin McAlester: Movies & TV

Now, I do not think that a documentary (by a Kennedy!) is the 'last word'. However, it does point out that in many places the 'wall' does little good.

Plus, as I have pointed out previously (and by posters herein), the Southern border is huge, 2,000 miles, with at least one huge lake in the middle.

It is easy for Mr. Trump to say "I can build a wall", but wholly different to put into practice. Walls (or fences) can be, and are, expensive. They can also (as shown in the documentary) be rather easy to 'climb over' (ladders!) or dig under (Mexicans with shovels!).

Of course, I am a bit biased. Born and raised in Texas, I have been around 'illegals' for two generations. I worked with them in a iron foundry and, I suspect, they are currently putting on my new, hail-damaged roof. Over the decades, the illegals I met were more interesting in making money to send back home. I certainly do not fear their taking my lawyer-based job.

Yet, I do not approve of 'open borders'. I agree with those who state that some solution must be found. I just don't think that building a 'wall' of 2,000 miles is wise, or effective.

It is easy to criticize, but darn hard to offer effective solutions.

Do you have any idea how much government program expenditures on those that do not belong here cost?

Hint: Spend the money more wisely elsewhere.

We'd likely break even or even come out ahead when you add in the other costs that illegals bring to our nation, States, and local areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies